View Full Version : GL-2

backpackerx
03-02-2004, 12:39 AM
I'm looking at the Canon GL-2. I'm not concerned with it's price as much, I'm mainly concerned that I won't use it as much as I think I will :)
Is there any other similar camcorder I should also look at that has these features but with a better value to price ratio? I want something nice like this so that I can expand with it without having to upgrade immediately. Any suggestions?

Gary Sheynkman
03-02-2004, 04:53 AM
When Jason discovers this thread, he will tell you how great the camera is.

Truly, you cant put a price on features and quality. Ask just about anyone who owns one, it's a great value to THEM.

backpackerx
03-02-2004, 04:57 AM

That's what I was hoping. I figured he'd have a strong opinion on it!
I love to video things and I have the money for it, I'm just not sure if I would use it enough to justify the cost. I have always wanted to shoot a documentary though.........................

Gary Sheynkman
03-02-2004, 05:04 AM

That's what I was hoping. I figured he'd have a strong opinion on it!
I love to video things and I have the money for it, I'm just not sure if I would use it enough to justify the cost. I have always wanted to shoot a documentary though.........................

the question you have to answer for yourself is whether or not you want a camera that you can grow into over time. If you buy just a "point and shoot" camcorder it might not have enough features (or quality) down the road when (if) you want to do some more serious shooting

Suhit Gupta
03-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Perhaps I can phrase the question in a different way that may help answer the question - since price is not the concern, then if not the GL-2 then what else? Are you thinking of a digital still camera or just another video camera?

Suhit

Jason Dunn
03-02-2004, 05:43 PM
The GL2 is an awesome camera, with amazing quality, but it's also pretty hefty in comparison to some of the tiny cameras out there today. I'm not a great videographer, but I think the GL2 would make a good choice for a documentary (just remember to get an external microphone if you're interviewing subjects). This is not the camera you'd whip out to film your baby's first steps though. ;-)

backpackerx
03-02-2004, 09:44 PM
This is not the camera you'd whip out to film your baby's first steps though. ;-)

Yeah, I have a hi-8 that I use for that, which I'll probably upgrade to a small mini dv. The GL-2 would be for more "special interest" stuff. More like a hobby than anything else.

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 12:06 AM
This is not the camera you'd whip out to film your baby's first steps though. ;-)
Unless you had it already for your documentaries ;-)

Suhit

backpackerx
03-03-2004, 12:16 AM
I can see it in lights now "The life of (insert child's name here)" a documentary by Ben Mathew. That would require two things though, 1.giving up the freedom of my 25 yr old bachelor life 2. Procreating 8)

Suhit Gupta
03-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Haha, that is hilarious. :D

I can totally see people going artistic/creative with the videos of their kids' first steps. ;-)

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
03-04-2004, 06:15 AM
I can see it in lights now "The life of (insert child's name here)" a documentary by Ben Mathew. That would require two things though, 1.giving up the freedom of my 25 yr old bachelor life 2. Procreating 8)

bachlor life rules...especially when you are 17 :lol:

I will definatly be taking a video camera to college to film all those "moments" :lol: of college life. prolly will need a nice camera for cool artsy stuff and a d-snap look-a-like for the quick shots at parties..errr...club meetings :wink:

that_kid
03-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Glad I discovered this thread, i'm about to purchase 2 GL-2's within the next week or so and I was torn between it and the Sony 2100 but I'm going with the GL-2's now. Oh I can't wait, plus I have a video shoot coming up the end of this month.

Suhit Gupta
03-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Umm, if you say so 8)

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
03-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Umm, if you say so 8)

Suhit

I guess we all have our views on life :wink: