View Full Version : Is there any viewer better then ACDSee 6.0?

rsajdak
03-01-2004, 10:34 PM
I've been using ACDSee 6.0 and a photo viewer and I'm really impressed with it. Is there anything else out there that may be better? Any suggestions???

Gary Sheynkman
03-01-2004, 10:40 PM
If you just need a photo viewer that does a great job at organizing (ala iPhoto) check out picasa (or wait for a review :wink: )

Jason Dunn
03-02-2004, 12:48 AM
I've tried a lot of apps, but I always come back to ACDSEE. :-)

Janak Parekh
03-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Hah! Someone else out there uses ACDSee!

I like ACDSee 6.0 a lot, although it's probably their buggiest and slowest release yet. :| At least they acknowledge this on their forums, and say this will be cleaned up for 7.0. I still find 6.0 useful, but can't wait for the next version.

--janak

rsajdak
03-02-2004, 05:11 AM
I've been using ACDSee since version 3.0 and it just keeps getting better. I've never used Adobe Photoshop Album, and I hear much about it. How does it compare?

mrwickham
03-03-2004, 02:27 AM
For an image viewer I think BreezeBrowser is the best.
http://www.breezebrowser.com/BreezeBrowser/index.htm
Very easy to use, works with RAW files, great post processing, web page design, printing, image rotation w/out quality loss.

Plus this company also have the very best application that every digital camera owner should have Downloader. Downloader quickly downloads the images from CF or Camera, places them in a folder of your choice, and titles them to your wishes, and opens an application to start working with once the images are downloaded. They now have a Downloader Pro, but the basic version is more than enough power.

Steve
03-12-2004, 08:56 AM
If it's still around, check out irfanview. Last time I checked, it did good jpeg compression, some neat filters, fast viewing of tons of formats, and some other stuff. It might not be exactly what you want though, I can't remember exactly.

marlof
03-13-2004, 09:28 AM
I use Photoshop Album 2, irfanview and ACDSee 5.

irfanview is great for viewing a few files in a seperate folder. Speedy, and great EXIF info-export.

ACDSee 5 (didn't like 6 that much better that I wanted to pay for an upgrade) is a very fast image viewer, and can be used for cataloguing as well.

Photoshop Album 2 is -for my uses- the best cataloguing software, since it has an amazingly easy way of using tags per image, and I love to use multiple tags/categories per image. It is slower than ACDSee (and much so!), but in the end I overall liked this better than ACDSee, so I just moved over.

Suhit Gupta
03-13-2004, 07:12 PM
I used to use irfanview a lot a couple of years ago as my default no-frills viewer, because it was really fast, especially to start up. But then Windows came bundled with the Image Viewer which seemed to have an even faster start up, so I switched.

Suhit

Jason Dunn
03-14-2004, 12:26 AM
I used to use irfanview a lot a couple of years ago...

Maybe it's just me, but every time I've tried it, the awful UI just makes me scream and I uninstall it. I find it to be wholly illogical for the way that I work.

Janak Parekh
03-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Maybe it's just me, but every time I've tried it, the awful UI just makes me scream and I uninstall it. I find it to be wholly illogical for the way that I work.
Agreed 100%. Most "free" image viewers have lousy UIs. Anyone remember lview?

--janak

Crocuta
03-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Most "free" image viewers have lousy UIs. Anyone remember lview?

Yeah, that was the first image viewer I used years ago. It was originally pretty nice because it brought up an image in a very minimal window, just what I wanted in order to see what a certain image was. I wanted noting else from it except for it to do what XP's image viewer now does. Then they started charging for it, and they redesigned the interface and I dropped it.

After that, I used ThumbsPlus (http://www.cerious.com/), which I still think is a top-quality image viewer. It also catalogs, in that you can assign keywords and such, but it was painfully slow in doing that (in v4, the last one I had... it's now at v6). The thing was that you had to type in the keywords for each image separately and it was buried in the properties, so getting there took 3-4 mouse clicks on each image, followed by typing your keywords. With thousands of images, that definitely didn't work for me. (With two more versions out, it may have improved.)

After some suggestions here, I tried out several options and settled on Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0. It's not as strong a viewer as ThumbsPlus, but it is a brilliant cataloger. It's tagging system let me go through and completely organize thousands of photos in just a few hours. And it's working already. Today my wife wanted me to find a particular photo from a few years ago and it took all of ten seconds to find it and tell Album to email it to her. That's exactly what I wanted it for and it does it brilliantly. :D

So if viewing is your main issue, then definitely download and try out the ThumbsPlus demo. I can't say whether it's better than ACDSEE, but I can say it's definitely one you should consider before deciding. If cataloging is your priority then you have to try out the Adobe Photoshop Album demo and play around with the tags. Another bonus is that the demo is really a lite version that works forever. It might do everything you need for free.

Janak Parekh
03-15-2004, 02:40 AM
After that, I used ThumbsPlus (http://www.cerious.com/), which I still think is a top-quality image viewer.
Man, I completely forgot about ThumbsPlus! I used to use it heavily too. The reason I switched to ACDSee was the speed back in the day, and I haven't really looked back. :)

--janak

bgate
03-16-2004, 03:47 AM
No mention of Paint Shop Photo Album. The beta of version 5 looks pretty good. I have been trying IMatch and Picasa and PSPA is looking pretty good!

Thoughts?

Jonathan Schmidt
03-25-2004, 06:55 AM
I would have to agree with Marlof. I have tried many different applications. I have found Photoshop Album to be the best organizer and viewer of all my photos. I love its interface and ability to resize the thumbnails easily.

I also use ThumbsPlus on ocassion. It is also very good at viewing files and doing some minor editing. But, my #1 choice is Album 2.0.

sylvangale
03-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Irfanview may not be pretty, but for scanning and resizing images the quality is superior than most scanning apps.

crstbo623
04-05-2004, 10:43 PM
I have been using ACDSee since version 4.0, and I think it is great for a picture organizer. It lets me view everything quickly, print contact sheets, batch rename, convert, rotate, etc. The only drawback is that each new version seems to improve upon the last in very superficial ways but at the same time takes forever to load! :roll: I would just stick with an earlier and cheaper version if you have the option.

Jason Dunn
04-06-2004, 05:55 AM
The only drawback is that each new version seems to improve upon the last in very superficial ways...

I agree to a certain extent, but 6.0 added batch resizing, which to me is worth it's price in gold because it means I can get rid of another app that I was using. So I really think that 6.x is worth it!

Andy Manea
04-16-2004, 07:03 PM
I agree to a certain extent, but 6.0 added batch resizing, which to me is worth it's price in gold because it means I can get rid of another app that I was using. So I really think that 6.x is worth it!
A new feature is that video rotation is finally possible with the new version of ACDSee.. it was about time, considering that most digicams can shoot videos nowadays :roll: .

BTW, does PS Album 2.0 support batch rotation, renaming and resizing? And are the new (resized, etc) pics compressed to lower quality?

Jorgen
07-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Maybe it's just me, but every time I've tried it, the awful UI just makes me scream

It is just you - I have been using Irfanview for years and love the user interface!

Jorgen