View Full Version : Need a suggestion

coreymcl
03-01-2004, 09:45 PM
I need some help. I run a family of sites and needs some help finding the right software for what I need to do. First I should tell you I have a Apple 15" Powerbook with OS 10.3.3. So I need a way to create, modify graphics to be used on these websites. Now I should add I am new to all of this graphics stuff, so hopefully the software will be super easy to use.

Thanks for the help!

Gary Sheynkman
03-01-2004, 10:05 PM
We would love to help you, but could you be a wee bit (i just said wee bit!) more specific.

Could you elaborate on "this graphics stuff" :lol:

I'll check back in a bit :wink:

coreymcl
03-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Well, I don't have any experiance with graphics at all. Just like this site I need to be able to create graphics for articles news stories and so on. So I would take images from press releases and crop them and make other changes.

Does this help?

Gary Sheynkman
03-02-2004, 04:57 AM
Well if you want to do flash graphics (the moving kind) you will need Macromedia Flash MX and a nice thick book in order to learn how to do it all. For anything regarding photo editing Photoshop is the king of the hill, but you will find Ulead's software line (PhotoImpact mainly) to be very impressive and easier to master as well. For making GIFs (images linked together) you could try Ulead's GIF works as well.

Hope this helps. There truly is no way to just make it all appear. Just start nice and simple and work your way up!

Hope this helped,
G-Unit :roll:

Suhit Gupta
03-02-2004, 08:11 AM
I would generally advise looking at www.adobe.com and looking at their Web Development packages. These come with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc., all kinds of software that will help you manage/create websites. Note that this package is not cheap. Are you on a strict budget?

Suhit

coreymcl
03-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the information on Photoshop. I have seen it and have the Windows version 7. However maybe it's me but it's not a user friendly application for someone who does not know it. I was hoping their would be another application out thier that would be easier to use.

By the way is PhotoShop CS for MAC worth the price? I mean is it easier to use?

marlof
03-04-2004, 08:31 PM
By the way is PhotoShop CS for MAC worth the price? I mean is it easier to use?

Photoshop CS works in exactly the same way on Windows as on the Mac, so there's no change in ease of use within the program. Although CS is a large improvement on previous version of Photoshop (esp. if you're into digital photography), it might still have quite a steep learning curve. If you're looking for a starter program, you might want to look into Photoshop Elements 2 (one program to run on both Windows and Mac OS X), which is a bit easier on the novice, both in price and learning curve. Still, I you learn to use that one, and want to upgrade, you'd probably find the step to full Photoshop a little easier to take.

Kent Pribbernow
03-08-2004, 01:44 AM
For web graphics, I prefer Fireworks MX. If you are designing web sites, that is the best professional tool on the market, in my opinion.

Mr. MacinTiger
03-08-2004, 02:41 PM
I would agree with the Macromedia Fireworks recommendation...It is nice software and integrates well with Dreamweaver.

Zack Mahdavi
05-04-2004, 07:34 AM
For web graphics, I prefer Fireworks MX. If you are designing web sites, that is the best professional tool on the market, in my opinion.

I second this.. I think Fireworks and Dreamweaver are an excellent combination for designing web sites.