View Full Version : Who has experience with battery life??

js415
02-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Now that I have decided to buy a new camera, I notice that a few models use 4 AA batteries, and some models use the rechargable cells that come with the camera.

What type of life do the rechargable cells have? It would seen that the models that use 4 AA might be better because you would always be able to throw in a fresh set, and not worry about your battery losing its charge.

Or maybe the rechargables have such a long life that it is not really a concern.

Anybody have any thoughts on this??

PS. Right now I am leaning towards a Canon model......but it's early yet!!

Thanks,

Jerry

backpackerx
02-29-2004, 12:30 AM
The main points are this: Built in rechargeable batteries last the longest but when they're depleated you don't have any more options to take pictures unless you have an expensive spare. Models that used AA or AAA chew through batteries so always buy high capacity rechargeables >1800mA or greater and buy 4 if your camera takes 2, or 8 if it takes 4 so you have backups. The only real negative besides the slightly shorter battery life is that AA and AAA cameras are usually bulkier and significantly heavier than cameras with built in packs.

Gary Sheynkman
02-29-2004, 12:55 AM
The bigger digicams use lithium ion internal, but some use lithium ion batteries that are removable (you can also buy them) Now you have to realize that you should never use regular batteries (you will be out after the first flash :lol: )

So what are you leaning towards?

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 01:06 AM
backpackerx is right, these cameras eat batteries for breakfast, so go with rechargeable at the very least. I have bought rechargeable batteries made by Renewal for my Ti (calculator) and they have given me more than 6 years of life. I am very happy with them.

Suhit

js415
02-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Gary,

I have poured over your list of suggestions that you were so nice to post for me.

I have been looking at all the models, but so far the Canon models seem to be the best bang for the buck. I really like the models that use AA batteries, because it seems it will be easier to keep them in stock, and not worry about keeping it charged all the time. I have a Sony Mini DV camera, and we are always fighting to get it charged before we want to use it!!

Right now, any of the Canons look like it would fit me just right. The s45/s50 looks really nice. The A70 has a better price point, but I keep thinking about your advice of not buying enough, and then needing to upgrade in the future!!

The G3 also has my interest.

I can't decide about what is more inportant....extra MP....higher opticle zoom....batteries.....just trying to get it straight...

On the other hand....the Minolta Z! we bought for my dad for Christmas seems really nice.....and I'm wondering if I bought it, maybe we could both learn and experiment on the same camera.

Do you have any thoughts or experience with their cameras??

Thanks,

Jerry

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 01:16 AM
I found this small abstract from a 1994 IEEE paper on Li-ion batteries, good read -
The lithium-ion technology began to receive increased attention in 1990 when Sony Energytech announced the development of a lithium-ion cell. Sony reported their cell, consisting of a carbon anode capable of intercalating lithium ions and a LiCoO2 cathode, delivered an energy density of 115 Wh/kg at an operating voltage of 3.6 V and was capable of 1200 deep discharge cycles. Although work on this technology had been in progress for over a decade, the level of effort worldwide accelerated after this announcement. The emphasis has been on carbon materials capable of reversibly intercalating lithium ions, transition metal chalcogenides capable of lithium ion insertion, and electrolytes, both liquid and polymeric, having a high room temperature conductivity and able to withstand the high voltages generated by these systems. The status of research in lithium-ion technology is reviewed, with the major emphasis on carbons for use as intercalation anodes

The lithium-ion technology offers a 3.6V/cell, 1000 cycle battery with a volumetric energy density of 190 WH/L and a specific energy density of 80 WH/Kg. The advantages of this technology is the higher energy density, long shelf life, high voltage, sloping voltage profile (making state of charge determination easier), cost competitive, low self discharge. Disadvantages are: sophisticated charge control required, lower charge rates than Ni-Mh (2 hr charge capable), safety concerns, multiple cell configuration concerns (constant potential charge/discharge issue) and lower high rate capability. Designs are focused on 4/3A 18mm x 65mm. Lithium-ion manufactures are forecasting that by 1996 30% of rechargeable market will be served by lithium-ion technology. This will be the high end (less cost sensitive) computer and cellular markets leaving the low end (price sensitive) to be served by Ni-MH and Ni-Cd.

Suhit

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 01:20 AM
I have been looking at all the models, but so far the Canon models seem to be the best bang for the buck. I really like the models that use AA batteries, because it seems it will be easier to keep them in stock, and not worry about keeping it charged all the time. I have a Sony Mini DV camera, and we are always fighting to get it charged before we want to use it!!

Jerry, I see your point about keeping the battery charged and how it can be a hassle, though you have two options -

1) buy a second battery. That way you keep one in the charger while the other one is in use. Advantage, on long trips, you now have two batteries.

2) buy a dual capacity battery. Many cameras now offer this option, though this will cost you a bit more money.

Suhit

backpackerx
02-29-2004, 01:31 AM
I can't decide about what is more inportant....extra MP....higher opticle zoom....batteries.....just trying to get it straight...

That's what you'll need to do before you can narrow it down further. Just try to think about what you will primarily be using it for. If you want to spend around $300 and you want high quality basic snapshots then lens and megapixle may be the important factors. If you have an artistic side or like full manual control over exposure options and enjoy extra features like movie mode and various exposure presets then a lower Megapixel but higher featured camera might be the way to go on a budget.
1. Will you be printing many photos?
2. Do you occaisionally take shots that you like to enlarge? If so, how big?
3. Do you like to tell your camera what settings to use (are you well versed in aperture and shutter settings) or do you like an all in one Auto setting?
4. Would you rather have high megapixels or multiple features (I know you can have both but this is for budget shopping)
5. Do you have other devices that use storage cards like a pda? If so you may want a camera that uses the same memory format to swap back and forth.
These are just some of the questions you'll need to know to limit the search

js415
02-29-2004, 01:49 AM

That's what you'll need to do before you can narrow it down further. Just try to think about what you will primarily be using it for. If you want to spend around $300 and you want high quality basic snapshots then lens and megapixle may be the important factors. If you have an artistic side or like full manual control over exposure options and enjoy extra features like movie mode and various exposure presets then a lower Megapixel but higher featured camera might be the way to go on a budget.
1. Will you be printing many photos?
I doubt it...maybe if I get a good enough camera...but highly unlikely.
2. Do you occaisionally take shots that you like to enlarge? If so, how big?
Same thing...I doubt it..
3. Do you like to tell your camera what settings to use (are you well versed in aperture and shutter settings) or do you like an all in one Auto setting?
All in one...let the expert(camera) figure out what to do!!
4. Would you rather have high megapixels or multiple features (I know you can have both but this is for budget shopping)
I'm thinking MP is more important.
5. Do you have other devices that use storage cards like a pda? If so you may want a camera that uses the same memory format to swap back and forth.
Yep....My Dell Axim uses both CF and SD...but I have more SD than Cf.

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Jerry, in an addendum to Jason's post about how to do quotes, you should post your comments to any quotes outside of the [ quote ] and [ / quote ] tags. In this case, since you wanted to respond to individual points, you will have to break up each of those points into multiple quotes and respond to each of them separately, albeit in the same post. Otherwise your post will look like the one above.

Suhit

Jason Dunn
02-29-2004, 02:13 AM
Batteries...ah, always a hotly debated topic. ;-)

Most modern cameras, if you don't leave the LCD screen on all the time and shoot through the viewfinder like God intended :lol:, will last a long time on a good internal battery. When I take my S400 out, I can use a single battery over a whole weekend, snapping perhaps 400 pictures (maybe 1/4th with a flash), and still have some power left over. I always buy a spare battery for my digital cameras, and it's very, very, very rare that I ever go through both of them. I really think it will be less of an issue than you might think!

Most AA batteries just don't give the same level of power/performance that dedicated battery cells do, which is why many cameras don't use them.

js415
02-29-2004, 02:34 AM
Jerry, in an addendum to Jason's post about how to do quotes, you should post your comments to any quotes outside of the [ quote ] and [ / quote ] tags. In this case, since you wanted to respond to individual points, you will have to break up each of those points into multiple quotes and respond to each of them separately, albeit in the same post. Otherwise your post will look like the one above.

Suhit

Darn it, Darn it, Darn it!!!!!!!!!

OK, I'm gonna concentrate on buying my camera...then come back and figure out how to handle the darned "Quote Situation"!!!!!!!!!!

So maybe I can lean towards an internal battery, and start from there.

Sunday ads come out tommorrow, so I'm gonna start looking.

Jerry

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 02:51 AM
Jerry, I could edit your post for you, and then you can look at the changes I made and learn from that. Just let me know.

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
02-29-2004, 03:08 AM
g3 all the way man! Im a big fan of that camera!

good luck in getting the best camera for you. Feel free to ask more questions and (for the love of god) If you want to quote someone, just click the quote key on the top-right corner and not worry about anything else

js415
02-29-2004, 03:08 AM
That would be great.

I have a feeling I will be here as much as I am at PPCT's, so I sure would like to "see" what it was supposed to look like.

Thanks,

Jerry

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 03:20 AM
That would be great.
Take a look now. You can click the "Edit" button next to that post of yours.

Hope this helps
Suhit

js415
02-29-2004, 03:33 AM
g3 all the way man! Im a big fan of that camera!

good luck in getting the best camera for you. Feel free to ask more questions and (for the love of god) If you want to quote someone, just click the quote key on the top-right corner and not worry about anything else

Actually, the G3 is exactly the one I am looking at.

Can you tell me what sort of cover the lense has, if any, when it is turned off.

Do you have a favorite place to shop for prices?

I have been looking at eBay, and seen a few package deals, from retailers, just to get an idea.

Jerry

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 03:44 AM
Actually, the G3 is exactly the one I am looking at.
Have you thought of the G5. The G3 has been discontinued and the G5 is its successor, which is a fine camera as well.
Can you tell me what sort of cover the lense has, if any, when it is turned off.
There is a built in cover, very standard stuff. Are you looking for something specific.
Do you have a favorite place to shop for prices?

I have been looking at eBay, and seen a few package deals, from retailers, just to get an idea.
I posted this in another thread - Regarding where to buy things, check out http://shopping.yahoo.com or http://www.bensbargains.net or http://www.shopping.com - All three site do comparison based shopping, i.e. will give you prices from many different sites and you can pick the cheapest. I have recently bought things from http://www.ecost.com and they are quite good.

Gary Sheynkman
02-29-2004, 03:47 AM
Have you thought of the G5. The G3 has been discontinued and the G5 is its successor, which is a fine camera as well.

I think his criteria was under 500 dollars

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 03:52 AM

I think his criteria was under 500 dollars
Yeah, and?

My first search on Ben's Bargains resulted in this link - http://www.digitalliquidators.com/detail.asp?id=cnpsg5&l=google which is listing it at $399 8O. And a couple of other searches are giving average prices of $450 or so, well under the specified budget.

And I didn't even try the other links yet.

Suhit

js415
02-29-2004, 04:39 AM
well,

Iv'e been looking at the G5..for just a little more........

Jerry

backpackerx
02-29-2004, 06:07 AM
Here's to confuse you even more :D If you mainly want a good Auto point and shoot then The G3 and G5 may be overkill only for this reason, you can get a good basic 4 to 5 megapixel for $50 to $100 less. They won't be the quality of the G series but if you like the camera to do everything then you won't really use/need the features of a more expensive camera.

backpackerx
02-29-2004, 06:32 AM
Here's a useful tool for selecting a camera.
Here (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp)

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Most AA batteries just don't give the same level of power/performance that dedicated battery cells do, which is why many cameras don't use them.

That is just not true. It greatly depends on the camera as well. A good set of 2100 mAh batteries (Sanyos) can last for a good long time in a camera.

G3 requires a manual cover; it sure isn't built it.

I dislike buying from eBay for new cameras; the prices aren't very good.

Jerry, as I'll always say, what exactly do you want from your camera? If it's snapshots most cameras will do the job. It also means it'll be a very personal choice, not one you can make from looking at paper specs. Which again means you should get first hand experience of using and fiddling with the camera. Which also means I hope there's a decent camera store in your area for you to browse.