View Full Version : Pentax and HP Digital Cameras vs. other brands

Zippper
02-22-2004, 12:04 AM
I have been researching different brand names while looking for a 5 MP digital camera.

What is the general concensus regarding HP digital cameras vs. other makes. Are they average? Below Average? Above average?

Sames questions for Pentax.

Thanks!

Suhit Gupta
02-22-2004, 12:31 AM
If you are going HP, then you will probably be looking at the Photosmart 935 and 945. OTOH, if you are looking at Pentax, if I remember correctly, your options are the Optio 550 and 555.

I haven't played with the Pentax 555, but the 550 is a nice little unit, and quite inexpensive for what it does. The HP, as far as I remember, is more expensive and a slower unit. Picture quality is comparable, though I think the HP produces slightly granier images as your ISO increases. Personally, if I had to choose between the two, I'd probably go with the Pentax, but then the HP 945 seems to be getting some very good reviews. I only saw it at the last year's NYC PCworld (or CeBit, can't remember) and it looked like a nice camera.

Suhit

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-22-2004, 02:12 AM
*broken record plays*
They'll all do just fine, as usual, go down to the shop and take a look, give them a spin, and see what you like. At this stage most digital cameras produce decent photos, although I prefer to buy a camera from a brand that has experience in making lenses and cameras.

Also rare are the users who really make full use of the camera; for most of us the limit is ourselves, not the camera.
*broken record ends*

Gary Sheynkman
02-22-2004, 03:08 AM
wow....you cant seem to make up your mind judging from all your posts :D

To the rescue!!

Very important questions:

Cost?
Size?

If you want a good 5mp camera...the sony f717(with a fixed lens) is the best prosumer digicam bar-none (even better that the f828 according to some and that is a 8mp $$$$$ camera)...but it comes at the price of a huge barrel lens that is awkward to carry around.

If you only care about size...there are cameras in the Sony T1 category that are tiny...but will not have NEARLY the image quality a bigger cam would. Remember, lens and sensor size are more important that megapixel count...that is why the Canon G3 is praised and it 1mp more twin G5 is not (noise and purple fringing due to having too many pixels on one small chip)

So instead of going on different forums on this site and asking questions about brands..realize that the question is not about brand...but about need because every company is good at at least one thing.

Plus since we are kinda "small" right now...realize that your questions are going to be answered by the same people as opposed to masses of enthusiasts that will register once the site is "officially" up

Hope this helps

Suhit Gupta
02-22-2004, 05:42 AM
You could also try the Sony DSC-V1 - a nice 5MP as well.

Suhit

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Gary, I don't think there is such a thing as the best camera, certainly doesn't exist.

Gary Sheynkman
02-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Gary, I don't think there is such a thing as the best camera, certainly doesn't exist.

I think you missinterpreted my comment: It produces the (subjectively) best image in the category but in comes at a price of the huge barrel. Can you think of a 5mp consumer/prosumer camera that produces better images? :?:

But there is a camera that is "best" for you though.... so it again refers to me saying that it comes donw to wants/needs

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Ah, but that's not what you said. You said it was the best camera bar none.

Jason Dunn
02-23-2004, 01:16 AM
*broken record plays* They'll all do just fine, as usual, go down to the shop and take a look, give them a spin, and see what you like.

Come on, that's not a fair statement to make over and over. First off, many of us don't have access to stores big enough to carry all the brands we want. I know that my local computer stores always seem to be one model behind the curve, so it's not POSSIBLE for me to see all the latest models. Internet research is the only option some of us have.

Secondly, asking questions in the forums and asking for opinions is part of doing research for a camera - there's nothing wrong with asking questions and seeking opinions from owners on what they bought (or didn't buy) and why.

Online forums like this are created for discussion and community - we should be encouraging discussions not discouraging them.

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-23-2004, 01:48 AM
Oh, I'm not actively discouraging them, however such talk can get pretty meaningless (and potentially dangerous; last thing you want is a brand zealot. Worse, 3 brand zealots supporting different brands) if one is not careful. See some particular forums for an idea.

While I think it's good for buyers to get something they're happy with, the thing about most cameras today is that they can be pretty similar, and are very much a personal choice. Going by someone else's opinion might not be the best thing, which is why I strongly advocate visiting the local shop to actually feel the camera. What works for one person might not work for you.

Finally, splitting ends over two, three cameras is somehing that adds frustration, and also loses the goal of getting the camera in the first place; to take photos!

Oh, you buy cameras from a camera store, not a computer store. Or have they died out where you're from? =S

Gary Sheynkman
02-23-2004, 03:03 AM
Oh, you buy cameras from a camera store, not a computer store. Or have they died out where you're from? =S

You'd be surprised....I think that Wolf Camera has a monopoly on "camera stores".... if someone wants a digicam these days they usually go to a Best Buy/Circuit City/Fry's type of store

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-23-2004, 03:20 AM
Oh, ok. Is Wolf Camera like a bad store or something?

Gary Sheynkman
02-23-2004, 03:40 AM
Oh, ok. Is Wolf Camera like a bad store or something?

oh no its an awesome store. It has just about everything and anything you will ever need. The fact that they have what noone else has lets them set prices at MSRP where big electronics stores are offering huge discounts on their cameras when they are first released in order to lure the buyer from the other store....

in this case there is no "other"