View Full Version : I need a Better file size for my video collection

kevdawg2003
02-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Hi there! i'm excited that this site is up and running!

Here is my problem. i just bought a new DVD burner and i need to back up some files. namely video files. i need to make some videos smaller but keep the somewhat same quality. if anyone knows of a useful program or method of doing so. it would help me greatly.

Kevin

Suhit Gupta
02-13-2004, 01:43 AM
Well, DIVX is the first thing that comes to mind. The files are DVD comparable quality, and are significantly smaller. Take a look at http://www.divx.com/ for a lot more information. (But I think DIVX Video is what you want, looks at link here (http://www.divx.com/divx/?src=toptab_divx_from_/index.php)). Hope this helps.

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
02-13-2004, 01:45 AM
Divx is great....id try Xvid which is an extension that has better quality in my experience

Jason Dunn
02-13-2004, 05:56 PM
You may also want to try the Windows Media Encoder:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

It's free, and the File Archive setting works well - I set it at Quality 75 for video, and CD quality audio. It keeps the original resolution 720 x 480, a fairly high bit rate (about 1600 to 2000 kbps), but drastically reduces the file size. Give it a try!

backpackerx
02-28-2004, 09:03 PM
How does Divx and WMV quality compare? I've done some WMV conversions but mainly use VirtualDub to make Divx because PocketMVP plays higher Divx bitrates than Media Player can play WMV files on my Tosh E740.

Gary Sheynkman
02-28-2004, 09:38 PM
How does Divx and WMV quality compare? I've done some WMV conversions but mainly use VirtualDub to make Divx because PocketMVP plays higher Divx bitrates than Media Player can play WMV files on my Tosh E740.

It depends really. For ripping DVDs to watch on a small device (ppc) WMA is the best option, but if you have a nice (read: big) monitor Divx will be the better choice...for now.

8)

backpackerx
02-28-2004, 09:42 PM
It depends really. For ripping DVDs to watch on a small device (ppc) WMA is the best option, but if you have a nice (read: big) monitor Divx will be the better choice...for now.

Actually, I get much better results with Divx on my PPC. With WMP I can usually only get about a 250kbs overall bitrate but with PocketMVP playing Divx I can get 350 to 400 fullscreen.

Jason Dunn
02-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Actually, I get much better results with Divx on my PPC. With WMP I can usually only get about a 250kbs overall bitrate but with PocketMVP playing Divx I can get 350 to 400 fullscreen.

Sounds like you're using version 8 of the Windows Media Player for the Pocket PC - version 9 is much, much, much better. You can bust past 500 kbps without problem.

backpackerx
02-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Yeah, 8.5. Thanks to Toshiba who didn't offer the WM2003 upgrade for the E740. I knew there were performance differences but I didn't know that WMP 9.0 was that much better 8O Wow, now I'm dissatisfied with what I have and *need* a new Tosh E805 :D

Suhit Gupta
02-29-2004, 01:38 AM
The 805 is so cool, I am in constant drool over my office-mate's. But it is so expensive :(.

Suhit