View Full Version : How important will HDTV video cameras be?

backpackerx
02-02-2004, 07:11 AM
I've been looking at the Canon GL-2 and XLS-1 but have started seeing the new JVC HD Cameras out now. Is this something that a new buyer should look for or will it take a while for the surrounding technology to catch up?

Gary Sheynkman
02-02-2004, 07:52 AM
Think about it this way...how many people you know have HDTV compatible TVs?

Jason Dunn
02-02-2004, 07:56 AM
For now, I don't think it's a significant consideration - HDTV isn't wide-spread enough. I went out looking at wide-screen HDTV sets, and was quite disappointed with the quality of what I saw when DVD playback was tested...but that's a rant for another day. It's important to consider that capturing your memories now in HDTV means you'll have them ready to go for a time when HDTV is the standard...so that's a point in it's favour.

But for me, I'm very happy with my GL2 and have yet to run into a single scenario where I wished I had an high-definition camera...but your life may be different than mine. :wink:

Honda_Civic_Si
02-03-2004, 01:57 AM
We have 2 HDTVs, one is 67" widescreen, the other, 36" widescreen.

The quality of our big one is absolutely amazing and same with the 36". I should look at the new HD Cameras, something too look out for! Where I live, nearly everyone has a big screen HD TV. Its like a standard in our estate :D

-Justin.

ux4484
02-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Well, (as I understand) for any camera to record in true HD resolution, it would require 13.5 gig per hour of recording time which means that we'll have to wait for blue light laser DVD recorders/cameras to really fill the screen to the max it can display. Anything you could buy now would be a stopgap device (IMO).

JR
02-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Does the average person need to take video in HDTV? I kind of see this like Beta cameras. If I understand it correctly, Beta provides a higher quality picture but VHS is cheaper. As a result, Beta is used by professionals (ie. news cameras) and VHS is used for personal use. Could the same be true of digital video vs. HDTV?

I admit I only have a surface understanding of these technologies, but I see some parallels.

Suhit Gupta
02-03-2004, 09:52 PM
As a result, Beta is used by professionals (ie. news cameras) and VHS is used for personal use. Could the same be true of digital video vs. HDTV?

But I am seeing a lot more people buying HDTVs. In fact, I recently walked into Circuit City, browsing through their TV section. They must have had at least 40 televisions on display as floor models, and over 65% must have been HDTVs. I don't believe there was as much coverage when Beta VCRs were introduced. BTW, check out JVC JY-HD10U 1 CCD Professional DV Camcorder (http://focuscamera.com/sc/main_item.asp?id=964588749&lhalf=allacc) (link courtesy of Phil). Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination :-).

Suhit

Jason Dunn
02-03-2004, 10:04 PM
We have 2 HDTVs, one is 67" widescreen, the other, 36" widescreen.

Uh...that's not exactly "normal". 8O

Jason Dunn
02-03-2004, 10:07 PM
As a result, Beta is used by professionals (ie. news cameras) and VHS is used for personal use. Could the same be true of digital video vs. HDTV?

Quite possibly, yes. I think we'll see a move towards lower-end cameras having 3CDD solutions (thee chips, RGB) sooner than we'll see HDTV-ready cameras. HDTV is going to be everywhere in a few years, no doubt about it, but I for one wouldn't let it factor into my camera buying decision too much.