View Full Version : macs are soo tempting: garageband

Gary Sheynkman
02-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Has anyone tried it. Ill be taking guitar next year and wonder how well do laptops with a good external system work as amps (im a newbeeeeee)

I know that there might be some great windows app just like it or better....but the INTEGRATION is what matters to me

Macs....cant live with em....but want to

Janak Parekh
02-02-2004, 07:03 AM
I haven't tried it, but I watched Jobs's keynote (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf04/). Amazing stuff. I want a Mac now too. :cry:

--janak

Gary Sheynkman
02-02-2004, 07:44 AM
best "rank" EVER :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jason Dunn
02-02-2004, 07:58 AM
Speaking as a musician, please, for the love of God, don't use your computer and speaker system as an amp. 8O I think that would really set you off on the wrong foot as a player. Stick to being analogue for a bit. :wink:

Computers can make powerful tools for musicians, but if you're just getting started out with guitar, I'd really encourage you to focus on the basics, get your chops down, and then start looking at how you can integrate a computer into your playing.

TimH
02-02-2004, 03:30 PM
For the most part I'll agree with Jason here....keep out of the computer world for a while. The best way to learn how to play guitar is to get a descent insrument and a great instructor. Someone who you can connect with and can push you to be better. A computer in no way can do this for you. A computer will not tell you when you aren't quite there and a computer will allow you to make blatant mistakes and never call you on them.

IMHO, computers and music come together best in the recording realm. When you are good enough, your computer can be a great tool for song writing and recording.

There are some interesting systems to get neat sounds that CAN be used with a computer and those speakers. The quality of sound will never be what a good amp is. If you insist on using your PC in this fashion look at some of the Line 6 POD's, Line 6's guitar port or the Behringer V-Amp2. These are far seconds top getting a good amp.

In the end, do what is fun and motivates you to be a better player. Good luck.

PS- I am a music store employee and guitar teacher....I don't know if that gives me any credibility but take it for what it is.

marlof
02-02-2004, 08:59 PM
I want a Mac now too.

I knew it. The iPod was just the beginning. :D

Janak Parekh
02-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Ah, I've wanted one since OS X came out, actually. ;) OS X is the first Mac OS that a CS major can appreciate. The only problem is I really can't budget a desktop right now, and the laptops are a little too heavy for my tastes. But we'll see when the time comes...

--janak

Suhit Gupta
02-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Ah, I've wanted one since OS X came out, actually. ;) OS X is the first Mac OS that a CS major can appreciate. The only problem is I really can't budget a desktop right now, and the laptops are a little too heavy for my tastes. But we'll see when the time comes...

I dunno, I purchased the 15" Powerbook and at 5.6 lbs, it is quite manageable, especially given the feature set. And the 12" Powerbook if even lighter if that is your thing. I just wish that they come out with a tablet version of the Powerbook soon :).

Suhit

Janak Parekh
02-03-2004, 12:01 AM
I dunno, I purchased the 15" Powerbook and at 5.6 lbs
You know I either want a Tablet PC or a sub-3lb laptop. ;) The Powerbook, while stunning (and I should know, considering I played with the one you bought), isn't really optimal for me sizewise.

Hey Apple, where's your Tablet Mac? I'd probably buy one in a heartbeat...

--janak

Gary Sheynkman
02-03-2004, 04:14 AM
I dunno, I purchased the 15" Powerbook and at 5.6 lbs
You know I either want a Tablet PC or a sub-3lb laptop. ;) The Powerbook, while stunning (and I should know, considering I played with the one you bought), isn't really optimal for me sizewise.

--janak

and while you are at it.....newton (runs and hides) :drinking:

Mr. MacinTiger
02-04-2004, 03:41 AM
I've got it installed on my system right now...My older G4 bogs down a little bit when I have too many tracks going but other than that it's pretty cool.
I am not a musican by any means but I've had fun messing with the loops and seeing how the software synch the time and tempo of each as you try out different combinations.
It's well worth the $$$ and I hear that the $99 Jampack with more loops is also a sweet deal.
FWIW.

Jason Dunn
02-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Welcome to DMT Mr. MacinTiger!

I watched the Macworld keynote yesterday, and I was quite impressed. Looks a lot like Acid, so nothing very innovative there, but I was impressed by the MIDI input and integration - that's something Acid doesn't have. And of course the integration between Garageband and iTunes was sweet. :D I keep getting tempted to get a Mac, but there are so many blockers, not the least of which is cost...but that's a topic for a front page post. ;-)

PS - Just as an FYI, it's best to put the topic of the post in the body of the post as well. In the forum view, "Garageband" is really tiny, so I didn't know what you were talking about in your post at first. ;-)

Mr. MacinTiger
02-06-2004, 01:45 AM
It's kind of like a poor-man's ACID I guess would be the best way to describe it...Heh heh heh does that sound like an illict drug reference or what? :lol:

TimH
02-10-2004, 03:35 AM
keep in mind that most of the programs for music production cater to mac users first. Mac has been the traditional machine for the recording industry and only after XP came out did companies like digidesign (protools) start doing PC based software. If you are into or thinking of getting into music production, mac is still the way to get ahead on updates and programs. Apple also recently bought the eMagic franchise and grage band is only the beginning of a new and I think long lasting love affair with the music production industry.

ruffas
02-13-2004, 10:20 AM
[quote=Suhit Gupta]
--janak

Why? You don't know the specs yet? Just beacuse it is an APPLE product.
This is the power of marketing... Take the iPOD, just 'cos it was the first breakthrough juke box everyone wants one, but why? Have you ever tried listening to 10000 songs???

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE....

Suhit Gupta
02-13-2004, 03:34 PM
I think the desire for a Tablet Mac is completely legitimate, despite not knowing the specs. The entire line of the Powerbook is incredible, and even though the iBook line is slightly less beefy in specs, they are very nice laptops too. Other than the price, these laptops can really hold their own when put up against any Windows based laptops. Their screens are gorgeous, the UI is incredible, and given the fact that Apple makes both the hardware and software, there is an incredible coupling between the two. When I took my powerbook out of the box (which itself was amazing), I believe my first comment was "Wow, this looks like such a cleanly finished product". And this is what that extra is that you get with the Apple experience, just a beautiful finish.

This, IMHO, is why the iPod was so successful as well, i.e. the marriage of a great concept along with the very nice UI and the traditional Apple finish. Note that most of the the other PMP, until recently have been clunky, and that is why, IMO they have failed to beat the iPod in sales. Perfect example - the Archos Jukebox. It came out about the same time as the iPod but it was never as sleek. In fact this is why I feel that the iRiver iHP series will get very popular (but that is for another rant ;-)).

Having said this, both Janak and I have been drooling over the Tablet PCs for a long time, as taking notes on them during a meeting is incredibly convenient. And given Apple's recent past, it would seem /obvious/ that their Tablet Mac, if such a product would truly exist, would kick some royal ass as well.

Suhit

PS - You are right about the fact that 10,000 songs are a lot. However I do have almost 5,000 songs on my iRiver and have listened to about 1/10th of them in only the last two weeks, but that was only over my commute on the subway. So I can believe that there are plently of people out there that have the iPod, or any other PMP for that matter, on during their entire work day or over long commutes. So I think it is entirely realistic to have and to listen to 10K songs. Besides, the PMP also serves conveniently as a portable hard drive on usually a fast USB 2 or Firewire connection. So I don't quite see your conerns.

ruffas
02-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Personally IMHO the iAudio players will cause Apple a bigger upset than the iRiver products.

I happen to have seen one (it's called the M3) and it is really gonna kick Apple's butt..

5,000 - 10,000 - 100,000 songs.. Horses for courses as we say..
May preference is to listen to current favourites and not older music.
If I am in a retrospective mood then I will load up my 256MB player with some older tunes. Just like in my car, where I have around 10-15 CDS at any one time and rotate them.. I love music, and have a huge CD collection but if I sit infront of my CDs I don't know where to start. So my opinion is that give me 10000 on a HDD player and I would spend half the day producing a playlist. I couldn;t listen to them on random.

coreymcl
03-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Well I just love Garage Band. I purchased a 15" PowerBook about 3 weeks ago and love it. I have not owned a Apple computer since I had a Apple 2 C. Let's see I think I was 10 then. Anyway the OS is the best I have ever used. Things are so easy to do, ever for a new comer. Things just work. Bluetooth is one example of how things are done right. I never have any problems with Bluetooth on this computer. The setup is a breeze compaired to doing it on a Windows box. Now is this MS fault, NO. It's the company that makes the Bluetooth hardware.

My biggest concern when looking at MAC's was the cost of purchasing new software to replace the software I have on my Windows box. Then I found out that in Office X MAC version you get a copy of Virual PC which I have Windows XP Pro loaded and can run all the programs I need to on the same computer. Games don't count in what I just said by the way.

The OS have never crashed in the 3 weeks I have had this new computer. I hate to say it but the only problems with software I have had was MS Office. But I think it had something to do with my antivirus software.

Just my opinion.

Phronetix
03-02-2004, 08:24 AM
I happen to have seen one (it's called the M3) and it is really gonna kick Apple's butt..

5,000 - 10,000 - 100,000 songs.. Horses for courses as we say..
May preference is to listen to current favourites and not older music.
If I am in a retrospective mood then I will load up my 256MB player with some older tunes. Just like in my car, where I have around 10-15 CDS at any one time and rotate them..

The FM radio is a nice feature and the only feature I'd think would convince anyone to go for this over an iPod. Their attempt to sell it on the basis of size is misleading. This m3 is 1.5mm thinner, less than 1mm less wide, and 1mm shorter. My oh my, what will you do with all that room! :lol:

We'll see what sort of price it demands as well. In reality, I think the single most instrumental barrier to the iPod is the lack of either WMA support or some way to convert with minimal loss to the mp3 or AAC format. I know that now that I've got my 10 gig of music in AAC format, a WMA based player would pretty much have to fall in my lap with all of my music preloaded for me to want to have one.

Suhit Gupta
03-02-2004, 08:46 AM
I am sorry and perhaps it is too late at night which is why I may not be able to parse your message, but what is this M3 that you are talking about? Which company is it from?

Suhit

Phronetix
03-03-2004, 08:18 AM
I am sorry and perhaps it is too late at night which is why I may not be able to parse your message, but what is this M3 that you are talking about? Which company is it from?

Suhit

Actually, the above was written by ruffas, and refers to the iAudio m3 that he/she claims will give the iPod a run. Having never heard of iAudio before, I doubt it can even make a run for top 5. I made reference to the fact that iAudio makes big claims on the M3's size, when it is all of 1.5 cubic mm smaller than the 20 gig iPod. Many criticize the lack of wma support in the iPod, though it doesn't seem to stop it from leading the way. If it ain't broke...

Gary Sheynkman
03-04-2004, 05:59 AM

Suhit

Actually, the above was written by ruffas, and refers to the iAudio m3 that he/she claims will give the iPod a run. Having never heard of iAudio before, I doubt it can even make a run for top 5. I made reference to the fact that iAudio makes big claims on the M3's size, when it is all of 1.5 cubic mm smaller than the 20 gig iPod. Many criticize the lack of wma support in the iPod, though it doesn't seem to stop it from leading the way. If it ain't broke...

the only thing i can see that will give the iPod a run is a revised version of the Iriver player that is has more features...it just does not look as cool as the iPod and the scroll wheel on the iPod is superb

Suhit Gupta
03-04-2004, 04:15 PM
the only thing i can see that will give the iPod a run is a revised version of the Iriver player that is has more features...it just does not look as cool as the iPod and the scroll wheel on the iPod is superb
Oh come on :), I like the iRiver's look a lot, perhaps even more that the iPod. Yes you are right that the scroll wheel is a very convenient piece of hardware, but now that Apple has put it into their player, it is almost impossible for anyone to use a similar idea (at least not without getting their pants sued off).

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
03-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Oh come on :), I like the iRiver's look a lot, perhaps even more that the iPod. Yes you are right that the scroll wheel is a very convenient piece of hardware, but now that Apple has put it into their player, it is almost impossible for anyone to use a similar idea (at least not without getting their pants sued off).

Suhit

well it makes perfect sense for them to protect the patent. The scrol wheel is the most appealing feature of the player!

Suhit Gupta
03-07-2004, 01:29 AM
But then you hear about companies like Nextway'e product - http://www.nextway.co.kr/products/new_150d.asp#22 that resembles the iPod almost completely. Lawsuit anyone? ;-)

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
04-18-2004, 01:49 AM
Its in Korea....they will nuke Apple...lol (yes yes I know wrong one)