View Full Version : Engadget Wants to Know How the Zune Can Be Better

David Tucker
12-21-2007, 04:00 PM
<em>&quot;Hey, we gave you the opportunity to voice your opinion on Microsoft's original Zune back in August, so it's only fair that the new kids on the block get their turn in the ring, too. This go 'round, however, we're adding a little twist -- focus your attention on the flash-based iterations only. The diminutive Zune 4 and Zune 8 were probably more highly anticipated than their HDD-based siblings, and considering that the rumors were literally all over the map leading up to the release, we can't say anything really shocked us when launch day came and went. Granted, we were a bit bummed to find that these wouldn't feature TV outputs, but hey, at least we got the option of adding more than just two lines of text to the thing's rear, right?&quot;</em><br /><br /><a href="http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/14/how-would-you-change-microsofts-flash-based-zune-2/">Engadget wants to know</a> from its readers what they would do to make the Flash Zune even better. I agree with their premise. The Zune 4/8 are a good pair of devices but not perfect. This seems like a good thing to think about on a Friday as we head into a long weekend for many people. What do you all think the Zune needs? I&rsquo;m not going to limit it to just the flash Zunes. The platform has enough common between the models that suggestions can be applied to all devices. I&rsquo;ll get this party started with a couple suggestions myself. First, I&rsquo;d like to see the ability to access the Zune Marketplace via WiFi. The other thing that would be really cool would be for the Zune network to more closely emulate Xbox live. Instead of just Zune cards, let Zune on your buddy list see each other over the internet so you can see what your friends are listening to. That&rsquo;s what I want!

jeff119
12-21-2007, 04:32 PM
an ota tv broadcast receiver, an hd one would be an especially nice gift (and Korean pmps have the same thing; i know a different type of tuner. and the ability to stream from a wireless media extender. that would do video up nice since the marketplace has only music videos. marketplaces selection of videos is useless, made even worse because i can't view video in zune software.

bleeman
12-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I would like to see a category for Audio Books so they don't start playing when I'm doing a "Shuffle All" from the music category.

I would also like to have the music, podcast, book, etc. pickup where I left off if I pause and wireless sync kicks in on me. Currently, if you are listening to something and you pause and the sync kicks in two things happen. First, you have to click the OK to get out of the sync interface (a pain) and then when you press play instead of picking up where you paused it restarts at the beginning of the song, podcast, etc. Irritating with a song, and a downright pain in the neck with a long podcast. I try to remember to turn off wireless sync when I'm planning on listening to podcasts, but don't always do so. Failing that, I try to make a note of the timestamp when I hit pause so I can fast forward back to it.

LegendDJ
12-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Adding more "Original" features is great, such as the Market Place on the Zune. But I think the Zune needs more “Common” features that most mp3 players have. Along with mentioned above, Bookmarks, I would like to see things like a sleep timer, a Clock “guessing if it has the ability to do so”, a more advanced quick list, be able to move items and save them as playlists, and maybe a quick list in videos? Perhaps I’m being needy…

Adam Krebs
12-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I agree with Bill that having an option to define non-music files (or non-shuffleables, or non-play-allables) would be a great option to have. Currently, a small majority of the collection on my Zune is comprised of instrumentals, acapellas, and comedy bits. It would be great if there were a way to define which will show up when I press the all-powerful "shuffle all" button.

Sven Johannsen
12-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Put Bluetooth on the thing. You can replace the WiFi if you wish. I'm not gonna sit in Starbucks and browse the Zune store on a 1" screen. If I reeeelly want to download over the air, I could do that with DUN and my cell phone, from anywhere, not just a Hot Spot.

If I want to share music I could do that over BT. Range? Heck I'm probably standing there talking to who I'm sharing with.

I could still sync over BT.

Looked for a WiFi headset lately? How about a car stereo that supports WiFi? You can get BT versions of both of those.

BT uses considerably less power than WiFi, and can support a lot more features that are actually available today.

Roan
12-22-2007, 08:40 PM
I want the features J Allard proposed with the Zune way back when, even though I know they are still a long ways off.

For instance, they proposed the Zune would be able to read your most played artists and send you information over WiFi about the band, such as tour dates in your area and even recommendations for bands similar to your tastes.

I also really want to see the videos in ZMP expand. I really would love to watch some full length movies or TV shows on my Zune 80's beautiful screen without having to go through the annoying (and illegal) other route.

Also, videos need to be enabled for Zune Pass downloads. Currently you cannot download even the music videos on a Zune Pass, which is ridiculous. While we're on the subject, Microsoft needs to be more aggressive with record companies and get more DRM-free tracks up on ZMP and work on getting more tracks available for Zune Pass downloads. I think this will likely already be in the works as Microsoft expands its user base with the release of the new devices.

I also REALLY WANT MY EQUALIZER BACK. The Zune 80 already has good battery life (Better than what I'm used to on my Zune 30 anyway. 13 hours? Pfft) at 21 hours with WiFi off, I don't think the EQ would really decrease battery life all that much. I don't understand why they chose to leave it in Zune 30's and remove it for every other model. Sorry Microsoft, as great as the premium headphones you've included are, they don't make up for the loss of an EQ. :\

As others have already mentioned, the Zune in general really needs to get a leg up on "basic" features. I want a clock. I know the device already has one built in as its used to keep track of your ZMP downloads on a Zune Pass, so why not make it visible? I also really want to be able to save quick lists as playlists on my device.

Finally, Microsoft needs to make the Zune Software Mac Compatible if they have any hope at all of stealing market share from Apple.

Sorry for the wall of text. lol

David Tucker
12-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Finally, Microsoft needs to make the Zune Software Mac Compatible if they have any hope at all of stealing market share from Apple.

The importantance of this is grossly overstated. Mac's compose 7% of the market and even assuming that 50% of Mac owners (assuming that every Mac owner wants an MP3 player) want a Zune...that's not many people. ;)

Roan
12-23-2007, 12:11 AM
The importantance of this is grossly overstated. Mac's compose 7% of the market and even assuming that 50% of Mac owners (assuming that every Mac owner wants an MP3 player) want a Zune...that's not many people. ;)

Even so, iPods are the biggest source of PC to Mac converters.

I'd like to think Microsoft would want to stop this.

Adam Krebs
12-23-2007, 01:07 AM

I think in practicality this is true--Mac users just aren't that big of a target for Zune, Microsoft doesn't want to give their users any more reasons to run Mac, and there aren't many of them--but in reality, having a Mac version of the client software will give the Zune team even more goodwill, and will get rid of one of the major baseless criticisms of Zune.

If a cheap-and-easy port can be created in a couple weeks or so by a small portion of the dev team, I'd say go for it. It doesn't even have to run well--I mean, just look at iTunes...

egads
12-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Two of the most basic simple features would make me happy:

1) I want the Zune to show up as a harddrive when it's plugged into a PC.

2) I want to be able to delete a song/picture/podcast/... from the Zune itself.

That's it.

itrush07
12-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Very informative - newbie!