View Full Version : Is there room for a poor man's mobile e-mail? Meemo - your thoughts?

WalterS
12-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey, I can't believe that I can't find anything in these forums about Meemo - especially in this section.

There's an underground market, below the price / wage line of the smartphone world that's only interested in mobile e-mail - no gadgets, nothing more. I'm one of those people. Tried this service Meemo, which has given my ol' phone mobile e-mail functionality, and it's only 5 bucks a month. I can't afford anything extravagant, and I'm self-employed, so "the company" won't be paying for anything, but I'm fine with that. This service seems to be all that I need.

Anyway, I'm a self-employed market intel worker, who doesn't need a smartphone for mobile e-mail. I get it for 5 bucks a month, with a phone that's served me well for 2 years now. Consider this competitive intelligence. Your thoughts? (www.meemo.com (http://www.meemo.com))

onlydarksets
12-22-2007, 07:59 PM
I read through the entire site, and I still have no idea what it does.

My email is through work, so it's free. Even before that, though, I was paying $7/month for hosted Exchange, which I have to imagine blows Meemo out of the water. That included a free copy of Outlook 2007.

waterman
12-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Perhaps Walter is self employed as a sales associate for meemo? ::shrugs::

h2o

kiter
01-23-2008, 03:08 PM
I don't think it does what a hosted exchange solution does. I signed up for a free trial and I'm somewhat impressed. It appears to be one of the better mobile email services out there.

The one that hotmail uses only notifies you of a new email and does not allow you access to your inbox. Meemo on the other hand does.

Seems like a pretty good solution if you need email on the go.

I'd like to know what the hosted exchange solution provides in terms of notification via a cell phone.

WalterS
02-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Hey,

For some reason, your replies didn't trigger any sort of e-mail notification. I had no idea you'd replied. That said, how will I know that this will make it to you!? I just came back to look into a Windows Vista issue.

onlydarksets, "the whole" site isn't much, and there's not much to get. This isn't for work e-mail. Most people's work e-mail servers have security nets that don't allow external parties access, but personal e-mails are geared differently.

Ok, let's say you were in Laos, on a trip through Thailand (went last year, for example...awesome...look into the full moon parties) and SE Asia, and you wanted to be able to get e-mail from friends and family on the go. You could get your e-mail through your phone as inexpensively as possible. Every time you got an e-mail at Hotmail or Gmail or whatever, you'd receive a text message with a link that would take you to a simulated version of your inbox. Meemo would then use your actual inbox like a puppet, and you could send and receive e-mail from your cell. Remember how Hotmail and Gmail tried that syndication thing? They spent a lot of money building a link between cell browsers and their online e-mail hosting, but when users went to use it they got smoked by outrageous cell browsing charges? Basically, Meemo eats the navigation charges, allowing unlimited mobile e-mail through your phone, using a simple browser that's designed around how people text message. Does that make it any clearer?

kiter, you like it too? I can't find a downside yet. I put it on my girlfriend's phone the other day, explained it to her in a minute or two, and then wrote her a "naughty" (*ahem* who's watching?) e-mail a couple days later. She's just using the trial for now, but what's 5 bucks? She's at work all day, and not out on the prowl like me, so hopefully she'll start using it like that. It only works the other way - for me - on weekends.

kiter
03-04-2008, 09:04 PM
I think with the meemo service you still have to pay for the data you use. However, most carriers now offer unlimited data plans for reasonable rates.