View Full Version : Motorola Q9h -- MicroSD card capacity??

brianfolk
12-12-2007, 06:11 PM
>> Can someone please give a DEFINITIVE answer re. Motorola Q9h MicroSD card capacity??

Here is my query (and answer) to PCMag:
Windows Mobile Devices Get Better - Motorola Q9h Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2210433,00.asp

Re: Motorola Q9h -- MicroSD card capacity??
Reply Quote
Thanks for the useful review; I just got mine and am generally very pleased, but have a crucial question that neither Moto nor AT&T can answer satisfactorily.

You referred to:

"a microSD card tucked into a convenient slot on the side. My 4GB Kingston card worked fine."

Moto's page http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/motoq9h/ says:

"Up to 2 GB of optional removable storage space with a microSD memory slot"

AT&T http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph.../?device=Moto+Q says:

MicroSD(TM) removable memory expands up to 32 GB

Nobody at either Moto, AT&T or Kingston can explain this discrepancy, and all are adamant that >2GB "should NOT work..."

I would like to get the 4GB if possible; how confident should I be that it'll work perfectly??

Thanks in advance for advice.

12-08-2007, 10:59 PM saschasegan (1004391060) replied to bcfolk (1004391016)

saschasegan

Joined on 12-06-2005

Posts 139
Points 1,881

Re: Motorola Q9h -- MicroSD card capacity??
Reply Quote

The manufacturers have gotten really confused on whether they're SDHC compliant or not, so I've just been relying on my testing results.

I know the Kingston 4GB card works.

Product: Moto Q 9h
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

Jason Dunn
12-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Yeah, because SDHC is still pretty new on mobile devices, everyone seems confused about what is supported and what isn't. Glad to hear your 4 GB works! That means pretty much everything up to 32 GB will work...(once SDHC capacity gets that high).

Mike Temporale
12-19-2007, 04:10 AM
I have also confirmed - first hand - that SDHC works on the BlackJack II. Yeah Baby!:D

brianfolk
12-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah, because SDHC is still pretty new on mobile devices, everyone seems confused about what is supported and what isn't. Glad to hear your 4 GB works! That means pretty much everything up to 32 GB will work...(once SDHC capacity gets that high).

My OP was simply a query about this issue, and I was reporting what others had said.

Now, I've just received the aforementioned Kingston 4GB SDHC and carefully installed it (repeatedly); the Q9h says, "NO CARD FOUND"

This after multiple users' assurances (here and elsewhere) that it does work...

Any suggestions / explanations??

thanks

waterman
12-26-2007, 12:54 AM
I have also confirmed - first hand - that SDHC works on the BlackJack II. Yeah Baby!:D
And, how many gigabites is confirmed, if you don't mind sharing :)

As the proud recent owner of a BJ2, this information would be most helpful, thx!

h2o

onlydarksets
12-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Try formatting it on your PC first (using FAT32).

brianfolk
12-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I've now reformatted the card.

Under File Manager, it still says "Storage Card Not Found."

Under Memory Manager, it shows "Card Storage: 3.74 GB"

The damn thing still does not work, and nobody from Kingston or Moto or AT&T can explain / solve.

Please help -- thank you.

Jason Dunn
12-26-2007, 07:51 PM
The damn thing still does not work, and nobody from Kingston or Moto or AT&T can explain / solve.

I don't have a Q9h, so I can't give you any first-hand help, but it does seem like it's working for others (http://www.everythingq.com/forum/motorola-q-accessories/almost-fooled-4g-microsdhc-works-fine-in-q9h-14868.html). I wonder if your Q9h is defective? Does it work with 2GB microSD cards?

onlydarksets
12-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm having the same problem (on a i760 with the hacked drivers) with the SanDisk 4gb microSD. I'm assuming this is a problem with the card, so I'll be RMA'ing it.

Mike Temporale
12-28-2007, 03:25 AM
And, how many gigabites is confirmed, if you don't mind sharing :)

As the proud recent owner of a BJ2, this information would be most helpful, thx!

h2o

I plugged in a 6 GB card and it worked - no problems. :-) Now I just have to buy my own SDHC card :D

Jason Dunn
12-28-2007, 03:27 AM
Ok, I've heard from a source that this boils down to drivers: the Motorola Q9h doesn't seem to have microSDHC drivers on it! :( So those that did get it working might have installed some sort of hacked driver update...

brianfolk
12-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Ok, I've heard from a source that this boils down to drivers: the Motorola Q9h doesn't seem to have microSDHC drivers on it! :( So those that did get it working might have installed some sort of hacked driver update...

Thanks for the update -- although this still doesn't help me in practice.

What's truly outrageous is that both the Moto & AT&T main product pages for the Q9h explicitly advertise:

"MicroSD(TM) removable memory expands up to 32 GB"

and MANY calls to tech support in both places produces nothing but useless, clueless parrotted responses about it "not supporting >2GB..."

Otherwise, it's a great phone, but between this kind of thing and the persistent and unsolved IMAP email problems I continue to have, I can't believe they market this as a serious, premium-priced business tool -- especially since AT&T is last to market with a WM6 SP like this (due to their "very exhaustive troubleshooting, testing, R&D, etc.").

/rant over/

Mike Temporale
12-30-2007, 02:37 PM
The problem is focused on their support staff - who have no clue about anything. :(

What's the imap problem you're having?

waterman
01-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Keep us posted, plz :D

h2o

brianfolk
01-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Keep us posted, plz :D

h2o

Following someone else's speculative suggestion, I manually copied a test Word file to the card while it was sync'ed up; then and only then does it show up and behave normally in both File Manager & Memory Manager.

No one has ever been able to explain all these anomalies (AFAIK, the card is NOT defective), and why so many other Q9h owners report using 4GB (or more) SD cards with no issue whatsoever.

My e-mail issue I've posted here: http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/showthread.php?t=31959

thanks