View Full Version : A metadata fix for those who've lost hope.

dr_doak
12-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Also posting this in Zune Boards, but it worked so well for me, I'm putting it here too...

Found this deep in the Zune.net support boards. It fixed my metadata problems after no other fix has worked in any way on any of the computers I've tried them on. It might even help those that tried the other fixes, but only got to 75-90% fixed.

It has to do with the specific format coding of the tags... NOT the value of the tags that was the problem (all of my tags are 100% correct and complete). In MP3Tag you have the choice to write tags as follows:

ID3v1, ID3v2 (either/or/both)
If you specify ID3v2, then you have the following sub-options:

ID3v2.4 UTF-8
ID3v2.3 UTF-16
ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1

When I specified either of the ID3v2.3 formats, the errors persisted. When I specified ID3v2.4 UTF-8 (and reimported all of my albums) all, and I mean ALL of my importation problems disppeared.I just loaded all my songs in MP3Tag, set the options and hit save. Then I deleted all songs from the Zune software and reimported them. No file deletes or renames involved. I did have to remove and add the songs to my Zune. My music appears to be 100% correct now.

So, it seems to be that Zune only properly supports one or two ID3 tag formats... None of my songs were using the ID3v2.4 UTF-8 format.

Tlingit
12-16-2007, 01:23 AM
I just happened to use this same program to fix my collection but I found it on this guy's blog:

http://a-simian-mind.blogspot.com/2007/11/getting-artists-to-show-up-correctly-in.html

It didn't mention and I didn't try what you mention regarding the tag formats but this program is a great way of fixing those albums and artists that just don't want to change