View Full Version : suggestions for car holders or mounts?

zomigi
12-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Can anyone recommend a Zune (or other mobile device) holder/mount device for the car that doesn't sit in the cup holder or mount to the windshield? I've found some on amazon and ebay that attach to the car's cigarette lighter, and this is what I'm looking for -- I just don't know if one particular type is more sturdy than another one, so that's why I'm here for recommendations. I don't want to buy a holder that turns out to be a wobbly piece of crap.

I don't need something that is an FM transmitter -- I have a cable hooked up to my car stereo that connects through the headphone jack to play the Zune -- but I would like to find something that charges the Zune, if possible. Unfortunately, I have only so far been able to find devices that do all three (hold/charge/FM) or just one (hold), not two (hold/charge). I'm willing to pay for a three-in-one thing and just ignore the FM part if it's not too expensive and the two features I do want work well.

Thanks for your advice.

Sven Johannsen
12-06-2007, 03:49 AM
I can point you at a start. www.proclipusa.com (http://www.proclipusa.com) has IMHO the best mounting concept around. The mounts come in two parts. A part specifically designed for YOUR vehicle, and a part designed for your device. In this case they only appear to have a Zune 30 cradle at this point, without any charging/etc. features. I have however used their vehicle side in conjunction with other manufacturers device mounts (Arkon to be specific) to create a great solid mount for my PPCs.

If you've found some cradles to your liking, very possibly they can be adapted to fit the proclip mount.

zomigi
12-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi Sven,

Thanks for that recommendation -- their products look great! How cool to have a mount especially for your car. Unfortunately, I don't think it will work in my situation because our cord is coming out way down by the cup holders. We could probably pop off a panel and pull more of the cord out, but then we'd have a long cord running up to the mount by the steering wheel, which would look pretty ugly. Too bad we didn't know about this earlier so we could have planned the placement of the cord better! Oh well.

I guess I'm just going to buy one of these holder/chargers on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-FM-TRANSMITTER-CHARGER-HOLDER-DOCK-for-Zune-BLACK_W0QQitemZ260192771273QQihZ016QQcategoryZ86537QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem