View Full Version : Sorry for the infamous vs. famous confusion

Menneisyys
11-22-2007, 12:30 PM
My attention has just been drawn (http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-General-Discussion/261790/BREAKING-NEWS-Infamous-top-Linux-multimedia-player-MPlayer-is-being-ported-to-WM/) to (one of) my mistake(s) in English: during the years, I’ve often used the word “infamous” when I meant “famous”. Yeah, just the opposite meaning. Sorry for the confusion this may have caused – yeah, I know I should double-check everything I post, even to be absolutely sure about the meaning of words I use, as far as English usage is concerned. I only wish I had the time for that – which I severely lack, given that I’m working, experimenting and writing really hard.

I don’t really have the time to re-edit all my articles cross-posted to the Web (several Windows Mobile boards). On my blog, I’ve fixed the most important ones (but still not all). Therefore, if you read an older article on a WM board that uses the word “infamous” – I’ve definitely meant “famous” in all these cases.

Finally, if you spot repeated mistakes / misunderstandings like this (showing I use a word / expression in the totally wrong meaning), feel free to tell me, even in public (you don’t need to bother with private messages if they cause a lot of additional work). Don’t be shy. I certainly don’t get offended by these kinds of reports – after all, my mother tongue isn’t English and problem reports will certainly help in not making the same mistake again.

Sven Johannsen
11-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Well, Werner, famous and infamous aren't exactly opposites either. Both indicate the individual, or whatever, is very well known. Famous is typically in a good way, infamous in not a good way. Bonny and Clyde, the outlaw duo, are infamous, and everyone knows who they are. They are famous for bad things.

Sometimes fame and infamy depend on what side of the fence the viewer sits on. Whether General Custer and Sitting Bull are famous or infamous, depends a lot on your viewpoint.

Don't feel concerned about your english at all, it is significantly better than that of many whose native language it is. It is tough in any case considering there are no real rules, and those there are, have numerous exceptions.

In your defense in this case, I would like to point out that flammable and inflammable do mean exactly the same thing...go figure.