View Full Version : Charge Zune 30 from powered USB Hub but not connected?

Abouna
11-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows if a Zune 30 can be charged via a powered USB hub that is not connected to a computer?

I bought a couple 30s for my kids, they won;t need to dock very often at all but they will need to charge, can this be done? I'm trying it now but the batt icon is just sitting there.

ACE
11-27-2007, 03:26 AM
Yes it can.
That's how wall chargers and car chargers which use USB plugs work for the Zune.

Hope that helps...

Abouna
11-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Yes it can.
That's how wall chargers and car chargers which use USB plugs work for the Zune.

Hope that helps...

That's what I figured but it never seems to show the lightening bolt symbol which has me stymied.

Sven Johannsen
11-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Well, I'll tell ya. I had my doubts about this when you asked, because I have tried it before and it didn't work with other devices. So after thinking a bit and noting the response, I checked with a hub I have, a little 4 port Belkin, and it worked...got the lighting, and with other things the battery icon filling up.

I firmly believe that a hub can be designed to not provide power to ports if there is A) no data connection on the input side, and/or B) no data connection on the output side. Maybe what you tried is so designed.

For reference the one I have that does work is an F5U234
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=159070

Abouna
11-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Well, I'll tell ya. I had my doubts about this when you asked, because I have tried it before and it didn't work with other devices. So after thinking a bit and noting the response, I checked with a hub I have, a little 4 port Belkin, and it worked...got the lighting, and with other things the battery icon filling up.

I firmly believe that a hub can be designed to not provide power to ports if there is A) no data connection on the input side, and/or B) no data connection on the output side. Maybe what you tried is so designed.

For reference the one I have that does work is an F5U234
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=159070

Thanks, that helps, especially considering I'm using the same hub. Ha!

In the end I only wanted this as an easy solution for my kids to do chargings, but I found a wall charger so cheap over at Dealextreme that I'm just going to order couple of those.