View Full Version : A Fresh Start...

Rocco Augusto
11-19-2007, 01:00 PM
As many of you know, a few weeks ago I received a brand new Motorola Q9h. Since that time I have been so busy with work as well as my review of the handset... and saying farewell to my favorite MiniDV video camera which had a tragic death during the filming of my review (which will now be done in written format), that I have not really had a chance to sit done and do the dreaded ritualistic ceremony of installing all of my favorite applications on my new toy. Since I am starting from scratch, I thought it would be a good idea to see what applications the readers of this site use on a daily basis, or could not live without. I'm always up for trying something new so if there are any suggestions that you guys and gals have, I would love to hear them!

leslietroyer
11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
The only app I have to have is Papyrus -- It makes the calendar so so much better.

LEs

davidees
11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
I use Pocket Informant, Facade, & eWallet.

cmusciano
11-19-2007, 04:40 PM
My must-have apps:

Facade, Papyrus, Opera Mobile, gCalc, Telenav, eWallet

(running on my Blackjack, soon to be Blackjack II)

srsabu
11-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Facade is probably the only thing on my phone right now that is in the 'got to have' category for me. It makes the calendar so much more usable.

I really like One Note Mobile, as I use it to take notes in meetings or at game nights when I don't want to deal with my laptop, and the notes synch with both my work and home laptops.

Rocco Augusto
11-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Awesome guys! I'm a huge fan of Facade as well and also FlexWallet, I could never leave home without FlexWallet. :)

Keep 'em coming gang!

GreatDay
11-19-2007, 07:30 PM
On my "old" original Q: Papyrus, Facade, QCaps, QTask, A6.Times, eWallet, Deepfish, Fizz Traveller, Hubdog, Live Search, MobiPocket, My List, PhatNotes, SKTools, Splash Photo, Sprite Backup, TCMP, Total Commander, Tweaks2k2, Typepad, Docs to Go.
Do i use them all everyday--no. Are they must have--when you need them, yes.

Tim Williamson
11-19-2007, 07:37 PM
My must-haves:

- Gentimer (or ANY 3rd-party alarm program, whatever you do, DO NOT use the built-in alarm)

- AgendaOne (they just released version 2, it didn't look like it was worth it for me to upgrade at this point. I haven't tried Papyrus in about a year, so I'm not sure which is better at this point)

- Flexwallet

- PocketBible

- FreeUP RAM (clears up unused RAM)

- Auto Clean! (I think this comes with SKTools, it automagically clears out temp internet files, temp files, storage card temp, fixes bad shortcuts, etc.)

- ClockOnTop (places a clock in the Title Bar)

ajwalker
11-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Rocco;

I just got my new Q9h last week and couldn't be happier! The best phone I've had thus far and I wrote a mini review of it at Morning Paper http://morningpaper.typepad.com/morning_paper/2007/11/made-my-new-pho.html

I did have a tough choice and almost went with a Blackberry but the Windows Mobile continued to offer me the best OS option and the Q9h won me over.

Anyway, my must have apps on my Q9 are Facade and Agenda One. Facade is brilliant but not a true PIM app and I like the Agenda One for full full PIM management better than all the other apps I sampled. Pocket Informant seemed way over the top for me. And none of the others seemed to hit that sweet spot that Agenda One does IMHO.

One Note Mobile and Smartphone Notes (kinda redundant but not the way I use them) are both standard as is Alarm Master since I like the customization for my alarms over the standard Windows alarm.

That's it for me. I'm sure I'll be trying out more but those are my essential apps that went back on my phone over the weekend.

MadSci
11-19-2007, 11:45 PM
IMHO HTC phones require: Sprite BackUp, Facade, Papyrus, Smartphone Notes, An Alarm App, Voice Command, Photo Contacts, XBar3, and RSS reader, and a memory cleaning app to make them really functional. The Q series might also need QCaps, depending on your typing preferences.

My Samsung BlackJack has some really good built in apps that replace the need for a some of these, so my list ther is a bit shorter: Sprite BackUp, Papyrus, Smartphone Notes, Voice Command, Photo Contacts, XBar3, and a memory cleaning app.

I do a lot of international calling, so I also install Fring. Eitehr LiveSearch or Google Maps is a good idea as well.

I have paired my games WAY back to just Cunning Fox Backgammon, and the included Bubble Breaker, plus Aces Texas Hold 'Em.

MadSci

Mike Temporale
11-20-2007, 03:32 AM
Here's my list of Freeware:

1. Ringtones
2. Home screens
3. Maniac's Keylock
4. Windows Live Search (the cool one)
5. Messenger
6. Some Tip Calc
7. Opera
8. Ilium Screen Capture

When it comes to paid applications, I would add

1. Agenda One or eXtreme Agenda
2. eXtreme Text
3. eWallet
4. Fizz Traveller
5. Gentimer or Alerts!
6. Resco Explorer

JamesM
11-20-2007, 04:36 AM
In no particular order:

Essentials:

Papyrus
Facade
Newsbreak
ListPro
eWallet
Bluetooth Audio (Triangle Powers, free)
Resco Explorer
Fizz WeatherNice to have:

Pocket Player
Pocket Quicken
Either Smartphone Notes or Phatnotes (still deciding)
eReader Pro
Pocket Bible
Opera Mini
SK Tools Lite

markQ9m
11-20-2007, 04:43 AM
For me the apps are Facade, Flexmail 2007, eWallet, Gentimer, Agenda One, and Google Maps. I am a recent convert to Agenda One after using Pocket Informant on numerous PPC's until I transitioned to a Motorola Q9m a few weeks ago. I hated to give Pocket Informant up, but it was incredibly slow to load, whereas Agenda One loads very quickly and provides essentially the same feature set.

I saw the other post that mentioned Clock On Top so I want to check that out. I had a similar app on all of my PPC's and I miss that in the Q9m. Thanks for the suggestion T-Will.

Rocco Augusto
11-20-2007, 05:13 AM
Wowzer, I really had no idea how many people used Facade. I knew it was popular, but not this popular!

I dig this, hopefully I should have an updated post with my results of this software bonanza in a couple days. Once again, thank you everyone that took the time to reply to this. :)

ajwalker
11-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Wowzer, I really had no idea how many people used Facade. I knew it was popular, but not this popular!

Yeah, me neither. Facade should be one of the essential applications for every Windows Mobile 6 Standard device.

swapnilgyani
11-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I come from the Sony Ericsson UIQ3 background. About 3 weeks back, I gave up my SE M600i due to multiple, unfixable issues with its core operating system, and decided to switch to the Windows Mobile platform. I own the HTC S710 Vox.

Must haves:
Facade
Resco Explorer
Agenda One
Tornado Power Control
SmartToolKit
MCC Mobile Finder
Eye on Thief
Eye on Privacy
SKTools Lite
Gentimer
CorePlayer
Q Inbox Extender

Good to have:
eXtreme Text
VITO AudioNotes
Sprite Backup
MobiCast
LCG Slick
Oxios Memory
MoDaCo DoNew
MoDaCo Google Search
Omega One 1-Calc
WM5torage

After nearly 6 years of using Sony Ericsson and Ericsson fones, the Windows Mobile platform has won me over :)

itz425
11-22-2007, 03:09 AM
The most important program in my opinion is Sprite backup utility.
Another important one is a game that helps me pass the time in the waiting for something moments. I would recomend Kevtris. It is a great Tetris game and it is free.

Addic
11-22-2007, 05:11 PM
I always install the following apps on my smartphones;

Tomtom mobile (5)
Tube2
1Xagenda
TCPMP
Expense
Sktools
Smartmilage
STweak
Wordpad
Newsbreak
Spritebackup
StopWatch

Must have games:

Cubis
I hate guns
Krally
meltdown
PocketNesterPlus
ExplodeArena
Superslyder
Tradewinds2

Does anyone know if Vitoaudio notes (automatic voice recorder) works on the Q9H? I've had no success on getting Vitoaudio notes working on the original BJ.

amitregev
11-29-2007, 02:35 PM
WOW it is so nice to see that so many users are using Facade! :)

I thought this will be a good time to mention that although we've been somewhat quiet when it comes to new updates in the past two months or so - we've had lots of on going development going on for Facade and our Smartphone applications. We have some really exciting new things and features arriving that we hope to have ready in the next couple of weeks now!

Our beta group team is already testing the new upcoming changes and I'm positive these changes will introduce some new and really exciting changes for all of our Facade users :)