View Full Version : Zune 30 Firmware Update: Old is Made New

Jason Dunn
11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEKUVebnxH4' target='_blank'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEKUVebnxH4</a><br /><br /></div>What's going to happen when you install the new Zune software (which should come out tomorrow for general download) and you dock your old Zune 30? This video has all the details...let's just say you'll look at your Zune in a whole new way! I can't say enough about this: the Zune team did a great thing for Zune owners by allowing this firmware update to improve their old devices. I imagine many Zune owners will be interested in the new hardware, but this software updates the Zune in nearly every way - all for free. Would Apple do that for its customers? No way. Go Zune!<br /><br /><embed width="425" height="355" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pEKUVebnxH4&amp;rel=1"></embed>

Tevin
11-12-2007, 08:47 PM
dang gimmie gimmie more of it i want to see how the rating system in everything is lol THANKS ANYWAY!:)

enjoythemusic
11-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Jason,

With the new firmware, is the Zune 30 also seen (and can be used) as a simple external HD by a computer or car radio with USB input?
</EMBED>

Jason Dunn
11-12-2007, 10:42 PM
With the new firmware, is the Zune 30 also seen (and can be used) as a simple external HD by a computer or car radio with USB input?

No, none of the Zunes can't connect to a PC and be seen as a hard drive. :mad: I'm working on a front-page post about this now. Nothing has changed there unfortunately. Not sure about the car radio with a USB input...I kind of doubt it if it's based upon a mass storage mount system.

Ambush510
11-12-2007, 10:43 PM
lookin forward to the new firmware

mrozema
11-12-2007, 11:05 PM
The current Zune 30 firmware hasn't let me access it with my car stereo system either. I guess just looks for a mass storage device as Jason guessed.

I can't wait for the new firmware to show itself publicly! :D:D:D:D

Adam Krebs
11-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Why didn't your Zune30 show up as the correct picture on the software? It seems to think your Zune30 is a Zune80...

Jason Dunn
11-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Why didn't your Zune30 show up as the correct picture on the software? It seems to think your Zune30 is a Zune80...

Not sure. Just connected it again and it comes up with the correct picture for the Zune 30. I miss the double-shot effect actually. :cool:

Invisiblemoose
11-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Hey, nice vid. A question about the new software...

Does the registry hack still work, that allows the software to handle .AVI files? Or are they now natively supported, and thus the hack isn't needed?

Oh, and is auto-sync enabled by default? Because I no longer have the 200gigs of uncompressed .avi's on my hard-drive, so the auto-sync would remove everything off my Zune, and I'd be spending days re-encoding everything. (Yes, this has happened, just not on such a catastrophic scale.)

THANKS!

mrozema
11-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Do the new Zunes have the double shot effect, or are they a solid plastic now?
Sounds like maybe they don't...

Jason Dunn
11-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Does the registry hack still work, that allows the software to handle .AVI files? Or are they now natively supported, and thus the hack isn't needed?

No AVI files, just WMV and MP4. Not sure about the registry hack - I'm not quite ready to start breaking things just yet. I need to unveil all the "obvious" secrets first.

Oh, and is auto-sync enabled by default?

When I synced my Zune 30, well, connected it, there was no sync because I told it that I wanted to sync everything manually. All my content was still there on my Zune 30 after the connection and firmware update...so I think you should be safe.

Jason Dunn
11-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Do the new Zunes have the double shot effect, or are they a solid plastic now?

No more double-shot, which kind of sucks - I really liked the effect. But since they have a metal back and plastic front, maybe they couldn't do the double-shot any more?

mrozema
11-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Well, back and front are still two separate pieces on the Zune 30. My guess is that to complicate the manufacturing of a part that covers so little surface area would've been cost prohibitive. The Zune 80's screen is also a separate piece, as you mentioned it might be glass. That would add another layer of complexity to its design and assembly.

gatoface
11-13-2007, 01:47 AM
where will I be able to DL the firmware exactly?

Invisiblemoose
11-13-2007, 02:18 AM
No AVI files, just WMV and MP4. Not sure about the registry hack - I'm not quite ready to start breaking things just yet. I need to unveil all the "obvious" secrets first.
:( Ok. If I could no longer put .AVI files into the Zune software, that'd screw over my method of re-sizing anime with enough quality to read subtitles. (Using VirtualDub.)

Is there a way to update the player's firmware, but keep the same old software? (Crappy as it is, it works.)

When I synced my Zune 30, well, connected it, there was no sync because I told it that I wanted to sync everything manually. All my content was still there on my Zune 30 after the connection and firmware update...so I think you should be safe.
Thanks! One less thing to worry about...

mrozema
11-13-2007, 06:17 AM
where will I be able to DL the firmware exactly?

The firmware update happens through the Zune software. Plug in your Zune to the computer and check for updates.

Go to: Options > Sync > [Zune name here] > Check for Zune Device Updates.

enjoythemusic
11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
No, none of the Zunes can't connect to a PC and be seen as a hard drive. I'm working on a front-page post about this now. Nothing has changed there unfortunately. Not sure about the car radio with a USB input...I kind of doubt it if it's based upon a mass storage mount system.

So even the new 80 can not be seen as a normal HD? If so, MAJOR bummer! i JUST bought a iPod Classic 160 and while the Kenwood DNX7100 easily saw it as an external HD and ran fine that way, the Kenwood can also hook up an iPod so the Kenwood's touch screen controls the iPod BUT (and this is a big but), the audio/video is via the analog output. As you may know, the iPod sound quality via analog is lackluster.

PLEASE let me know if the 80 can be seen as an external HD or if anyone has a hack for the Zune so i can use it as an external HD with the Kenwood unit. My goal is for mass storage HD use and for portable earphone use. Sure i can buy an external HD (smallest HD size) as the Kenwood will power it yet would also like something i can listen/watch when not using the Kenwood system.

Lastly, if i update the 30 does the new firmware remove the EQ feature?

Many thanks.

1shado1
11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
...Lastly, if i update the 30 does the new firmware remove the EQ feature? Many thanks.

The EQ is left intact on the 30 after the update.:D

mrozema
11-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Lastly, if i update the 30 does the new firmware remove the EQ feature?
The EQ feature is still there. Though not much of a feature really. Just a handful of presets. :rolleyes:

egads
11-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Two new features I was hoping would be in was for the Zune to show up as a harddrive and to add a delete function that would let me delete a song, video, podcast after I was done with it.

Neither of these VERY basic features made it in the new firmware.
Other than the Zune UI seeming to be a bit more responsive I don't see anything in the new firmware that I will ever use...

enjoythemusic
11-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Two new features I was hoping would be in was for the Zune to show up as a harddrive and to add a delete function that would let me delete a song, video, podcast after I was done with it.

Amen. Well, at least we still have an EQ... which i barely use but it has some use (not much, but some). How hard can it be to make the unit look like an external HD... and a simple delete feature?

PS: am returning the iPod Classic 160. If you can't get the sound quality right in a portable audio unit then nothing else matters imo.

Jason Dunn
11-13-2007, 11:48 PM
How hard can it be to make the unit look like an external HD... and a simple delete feature?

Agreed. Having a mass storage option can't be that hard to add - it makes me think that they must be preventing it for a reason, perhaps some sort of worry about song stealing....though I don't really understand how that would be so.

A delete option is something I'd like to see as well - I like to "clean house" when I'm done with a video on the device, rather than having to wait until I get back to my computer. The Zen Vision has had this for a long time, why can't the Zune?

Invisiblemoose
11-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Me again.

I'm afraid to upgrade. If the new Zune software doesn't work with .AVI files, my Zune loses a lot of value to me.

Is there a solution?

Jason Dunn
11-14-2007, 03:19 AM
If the new Zune software doesn't work with .AVI files, my Zune loses a lot of value to me. Is there a solution?

I haven't heard of one yet - don't upgrade, wait a week or two and by then we'll know how many of the hacks can work with the new software.

Invisiblemoose
11-14-2007, 03:31 AM
I haven't heard of one yet - don't upgrade, wait a week or two and by then we'll know how many of the hacks can work with the new software.
Thanks. Yeah, I'll hold off for now.

If a way pops up, could you post it here?

Jason Dunn
11-14-2007, 03:39 AM

I'll try to remember, but it's probably best to subscribe to our RSS feed and watch for news about the hacks...we'll certainly be watching for any such news!

joshcbaker
11-14-2007, 07:55 AM
ok i got to click on the check updates for my zune... and it says mine has the latest firmware software... i go to my settings on the zune and then about... then zune... and it says i have version 1.4.. hardware 2.0 ? is that the new version? because my zune still looks the same.... plz help

Jason Dunn
11-14-2007, 10:07 PM
ok i got to click on the check updates for my zune... and it says mine has the latest firmware software...

Did you update to the new Zune software? Go to www.zune.net, uninstall the old Zune software, install the new Zune software, then connect your Zune 30 - and you'll get the 2.2 firmware on it

mrozema
11-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I'll hold off for now.

PM me with the hack you're talking about and I'll try it.

joshcbaker
11-15-2007, 03:18 AM
thanks for the help jason

sonbek
01-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Please try to help me, I have a zune 30 and I did exactly what you did on that video, but the firmware dind't install and zune software throwing error C00D1249. I've been searching the internet about this and the only thing I could find is a video about this error in youtube that you posted. If you solved this problem please help me fix it. I don't what else to do.