View Full Version : Thinking about going to the darkside: N95-3

timkn
11-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi

I've been a Windows Mobile user for a number of years now (had the original Compaq IPAQ device) and then got a SMT5600 device back in early 2005. I'v been looking for a new unlocked smartphone with 3G and GPS which I thought would be the HTC S730 to run on Fido. But the lack of North American based 3G is a no go for me.

I ran across a review of the N95-3 and now it almost has me converted. If anyone has any reasons why I shouldn't switch to a Symbian based device or more specifically the N95-3 I'd love to hear about it.

Mike Temporale
11-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Well, you haven't really told us what you're looking for in a phone. There's plenty of 3G Windows Mobile devices avaiable. What about the BlackJack II, or the Motorola Q9, or the Pantech Duo (that's 3G isn't it?)

All are excellent phones. Ain't nobody going to stop you from switching. But don't blame the lack of 3G Windows Mobile devices as the reason.

timkn
11-12-2007, 12:50 AM
You're right. I wasn't specific enough in my post for anyone to provide alternatives. Of course there will be tradeoffs as the N95-3 doesn't have all the capabilities listed below (e.g. slide out qwerty keyboard).

I'm looking for a SmartPhone with :

* 3G that can be used with Fido. Including use as a data modem for my laptop
* GPS
Decent Camera
Decent Video
Slide out or built in keyboard
* Good screen resolution
* Exchange email support
Battery Life

In my research the closest Windows Mobile device that meets they specifications is the Kaiser (Tilt) but the size of it and lack of dialpad I thought I might not like. I liked the size of the S730 and the feature set except for the lack of North American 3G. If there are Windows mobile alternatives that would meet these features set I'd love to hear it.

Mike Temporale
11-12-2007, 02:44 AM
The Tilit is a good phone, but it's pretty big when you compare it to the Smartphone devices on the market.

I'm not sure how the BlackJack II or the Moto Q9h will do when it comes to acting as a modem for your laptop. Otherwise, they would both be excellent devices for your needs. Both are 3G, GPS, keyboards, etc... Heck, Rocco and Jerry are saying the new Q has the best keyboard they've ever used.

The last Nokia I used, while it supported Exchange, was nothing short of a pain to setup. And it never actually worked right. Maybe that's just me.