View Full Version : New Zunes Cometh My Way....Today?

Jason Dunn
11-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Being a Zune MVP is paying dividends this week: I've been told that I'm getting sent a new Flash-based Zune (not sure if it's a Zune 4 or a Zune 8) and a Zune 80 as well. These are review units, with the review embargo being lifted on November 13th. That means I won't be able to post pictures or comments about the new Zunes until the 13th - but it also means that I have a decent amount of time to spend with the new units, unlike my incomplete rush-review last year. So here's your opportunity Zune Thoughts readers: what would you like me to check for you with the new Zunes? What would you like me to test?

Rocco Augusto
11-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I know this is kind of a "well-duh-of-course-i'll-review-that-feature" request, but I'm really excited about being able to natively transcode recorded TV shows as well as how well the new Podcast features hold up. :)

priesmeyer
11-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Rocco just stole my thunder. I guess I'm most excited about the things that were missing in the previous model.

Copying Media Center shows over and how they look/play
How easy the process is and how fast
How does the wireless sync performI'm just so excited Jason -- and a bit jealous. ;) But Tuesday's getting closer and closer.

jeff119
11-07-2007, 11:08 PM
can you see how well built the new software is? it can't be much worse then the wmp11 based software, but how easy is it to navigate through the software sync all your music, etc. with the current software most of the rime i have problems syncing or recognizing that a zune is connected.

priesmeyer
11-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Another thing - how does the device feel in your hand compared to the old one?

I think the Zune 1 was a great piece of hardware. I loved it and am glad that after selling me (and regretting it) I was able to get a brown one for my daughter for $80 a few weeks ago.

Everyone (and I mean iPod owners and others who have no horse in the race) is quick to say "Wow, it's so big!". I think that's a bogus argument. I used to have a large 'boombox' with dual cassettes and an 8-track player it in. And I carried that thing with me around a lot! And it couldn't even play movies! ;) But seriously, what difference to a few millimeters make towards your enjoyment and usability of your device?

So, I'd like to know what you think about the feel of the device and the user experience.

perrinjcat
11-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Take the various new file formats for a spin to ensure they don't have problems playing. I wish you were getting the new firmware to see how they played on the old Zune as well. Maybe you can send a politely-worded email their way?

rck
11-07-2007, 11:45 PM
I also will second or third the comments about the new feature transcoding and syncing Media Center TV shows to the Zune within the Zune software. Specifically, I am interested in:

Does it handle both analog and HD dvr-ms files equally well?
How long does it take to convert and then sync a 1 hour TV show? How much longer does it take for HD dvr-ms files?
How much does to reduce the size of the file for the Zune?
Does it sync all Media Center TV shows or is there a way to filter what to sync?
Also, does it cache the converted file for other Zunes or does it have convert each file each time for each Zune?(The last two questions may seen a little odd, but my wife and I each have a Zune. Our TV show tastes contain some in common and some that are unique.)

Have fun!!! :D

Roan
11-08-2007, 12:15 AM
I'd like to ask you a few things to check regarding the new Zunes:

- Playlists. On the old Zune when you synced a playlist it re-synced all of the songs in said playlist, even if they were already on the device. I'm really hoping this is fixed.

- Video quality. I'd convert videos in very high resolution/quality and no matter what the videos always came out very pixelated, especially in black areas.

Jason Dunn
11-08-2007, 12:48 AM
I wish you were getting the new firmware to see how they played on the old Zune as well. Maybe you can send a politely-worded email their way?

The problem is distribution: if I was in Seattle I'm sure they could Flash my Zune with the new firmware, but I doubt they've built a stand-alone installer. The 13th will come soon enough, and I'll have my hands full with the two new units. ;-) Adam and David will be covering the firmware update on the old Zunes.

Jason Dunn
11-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Specifically, I am interested in...Does it handle both analog and HD dvr-ms files equally well?

Unfortunately I have no ability to capture HD DVR-MS files on my media center. There's no OTA HD in my area, and I don't have a HD TV Tuner...so that one will have to be answered by someone else. I'll do my best with your other questions though!

Jason Dunn
11-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Video quality. I'd convert videos in very high resolution/quality and no matter what the videos always came out very pixelated, especially in black areas.

I think this may be more a result of the colour depth more so than the transcoding process or bit rate: I've seen some brutal colour dithering problems with the current 65K colours supported...I think the new Zunes are the same, because if they supported 16.7 million colours like the Zen Vision does, I'm sure they would have announced that fact. :( We'll see though!

Adam Krebs
11-08-2007, 02:31 AM
I'd like to know if reverse/guest sync are still available. I'd also like to hear about the:

Flagging: still there? anything new? Anything new with the radio?
Reverse-sync of playlists? adding files to playlist from another computer? updating of playlists without re-syncing (what about when changing metadata)?
Will new firmware wipe out old settings? Can we backup our Zunes beforehand? (Is there an option in the Zune software? What happens when you plug your old Zune into a computer with the new firmware or vice-versa?)
Can we browse the Zune over wifi? Is wifi sync only for automatic, or can we sync individual songs too?
What’s the story with Xbox? Improved at all?
Is the DRM the same PlaysForSure 9.1 that Old Zune rocked, or has it been revamped? If so, any new features? Also, how will updating licenses work?
DRM-Free: cost to “upgrade” DRM’d to DRM-free tracks, a la iTunes?
How are podcasts handled when they’re old? Do they auto-delete, or do we have to manually delete them?
If only the Zune team would let David and I pre-test the firmware :)

jeff119
11-08-2007, 02:59 AM
What’s the story with Xbox? Improved at all?

i heard, i don't remember, where that you can hook the zune up ti the 360 and use that as your in game soundtrack.

lilsalmon
11-08-2007, 03:36 AM
The big question I have asked everywhere but no one can answer. Is there better video metadata. By that I mean.. in the previous versions of the Zune software we could use dshapie to edit the video details like, episode, rating channel etc. However the big problem was the only thing the Zune actually showed then was the filename and nothing else.

So... my question is with all of the new video features does the new Zune software support all of the metadata for videos and or can you edit the info from the new Zune software?

Does this make sense? The guys at IWAPZ did really know what I meant by metadata, and in turn didn't ask Cesar at the last event. I figured I'd try to explain myself better.

-Lil'

David Tucker
11-08-2007, 05:05 AM
Most importantly, if you hit an iPod with it, which one surives? :p

BugDude10
11-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, Jason, since you offered, I'd like you test how long it would take FedEx to ship the Zune 80 from you to me, since, you know, it's smaller and lighter than the 1st gen Zune. ;-)

ale_ers
11-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Jason,

Do you have MCE 05 or just vista? I'm asking, because everything I have read says that you can sync your zune with vista media center. I'm wondering if it will not work with MCE 05.

Rocco Augusto
11-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Most importantly, if you hit an iPod with it, which one surives? :p

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ufj08QCR0KQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ufj08QCR0KQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Zune, hands down!

Ricardo Dawkins
11-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I'd like to ask you a few things to check regarding the new Zunes:

- Playlists. On the old Zune when you synced a playlist it re-synced all of the songs in said playlist, even if they were already on the device. I'm really hoping this is fixed.

- Video quality. I'd convert videos in very high resolution/quality and no matter what the videos always came out very pixelated, especially in black areas.
1. this should not happen. mine says: "Already in device" for each song already on it.
2. That depends on your encoding settings and the encoder quality.

Ricardo Dawkins
11-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Battery life
Sound Quality
Quality of premium headphones on zune 80
body test and quality. smudges, scratches, drops.
FM reception and quality
Picture browsing/viewing
GUI walktrough
Wifi Sharing

Test it with old accesories...
TV-Out and such.

enjoythemusic
11-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Zune, hands down!

Have you seen MS stock <cough> growth <cough> since the Zune was released versus Apple's stock during the same time period?

ANYWAY, how about the new Zune does simple things. Forget all these fancy-pants stuff other guys want. How about the Zune simply plays uncompressed audio files. Or how about the ability to use the new Zune as an external HD (without using hacks). And dare i ask, oh please MS make it real so that the Zune easily integrates with my Kenwood in-car GPS/Audio system that has a USB input for playing WMA files from an external HD/flash/thumb drve. The iPod does all the above. Not asking much, just simple access to the HD and uncompressed audio.

Jason Dunn
11-08-2007, 10:24 PM
This...is...awesome.

[and that's all I can say until the 13th, sorry] :D

Jason Dunn
11-08-2007, 11:23 PM
So... my question is with all of the new video features does the new Zune software support all of the metadata for videos and or can you edit the info from the new Zune software? Does this make sense? The guys at IWAPZ did really know what I meant by metadata, and in turn didn't ask Cesar at the last event. I figured I'd try to explain myself better.

Yup, I'm a metadata guy, so I definitely understand and will look into that for you.

Darius Wey
11-09-2007, 11:56 AM
I'll add "album art quality on the Zune" to the list of things to check for, but knowing you Jason, it's probably already on there. :D