View Full Version : Free My Phone

Kris Kumar
10-26-2007, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/20071021/free-my-phone/' target='_blank'>http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/20071021/free-my-phone/</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;Suppose you own a Dell computer, and you decide to replace it with a Sony. You don&rsquo;t have to get the permission of your Internet service provider to do so, or even tell the provider about it. You can just pack up the old machine and set up the new one. Now, suppose your new computer came with a particular Web browser or online music service, but you&rsquo;d prefer a different one. You can just download and install the new software, and uninstall the old one. You can sign up for a new music service and cancel the old one. And, once again, you don&rsquo;t need to even notify your Internet provider, let alone seek its permission. ... A shortsighted and often just plain stupid federal government has allowed itself to be bullied and fooled by a handful of big wireless phone operators for decades now. And the result has been a mobile phone system that is the direct opposite of the PC model.&quot;</em></p><p>Our readers are familiar with this painful topic. From crippled phones with costly carrier run services to the un-willingness to launch models with certain important features like Wi-Fi, we have seen it all. Other tactics involve not allowing the cell phone manufacturer to release upgrades independently, and holding up product launches so that carrier's darling can be launched. We have seen plenty of rants on this topic but they stay limited to the forums. We need the policy makers to take note of this problem. Google recently tried it with its terms for the 700MHz auction. Now Mossberg has written an article about the need to unshackle our phones.</p>

snap
10-26-2007, 07:23 PM
If I change ISPs I typically need a different modem (cable v. DSL v. WiMax etc.). If I want to play Halo 3 I have to buy an Xbox 360, it won't run on a PS3. Most software programs are not interchangeable between a PC and a MAC. If I purchase a song on iTunes it won't play on a non-Ipod Device. If I want satellite TV, my cable set-top box won't work. If I switch between VoIP providers, I often need a different analog telephone adapter that they support. The list goes on. Other than POTS and over-the-air TV, very few things are as open/interchangeable as the "PC model". And over-the-air TV is the only service that is really "free" (thanks to advertising).

Bittermormon
10-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I'll admit I haven't listened to Old Man Mossburgs latest rant, but from what I've read...I don't get it. If you don't want your phone to be locked to a carrier, then forego the subsidized price and buy a darm unlocked phone!! Whats so tricky about that. You can't expect cheap and unlocked phones.

Kris Kumar
10-27-2007, 06:31 AM
My gripe is that carriers make the customers sign a two year contract with stiff penalties, and on top of that lock the phone. If you have already locked the customer in a two year contract, then why lock the phone?

Then there are the crippling tactics (BT / WiFi), walled gardens, costly music/video/navigation services while keeping competition out...the list goes on.:mad:

So Mossberg has a point. Usually I don't agree with him much. Even though he says that Apple is the only one to have broken free from the carrier, I think Apple introduces a new shackle in the form of iTunes and its own locks and restrictions.

Mike Temporale
10-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Yeah, the restrictions are there with apple too. Some people can't see past the pile of roses to understand what's really going on. ;)

I agree that we need more open carriers, but I don't expect it will ever happen. I would love to see them just become the service provider - like my ISP. Then I can pick and chose what I want to do. :cool: