View Full Version : Bluetooth and Zune?

Paladin27
10-25-2007, 12:59 AM
Has anyone seen or heard about a Bluetooth (A2DP) Stereo Adapter for the Zune yet that uses the Zune dock connector? I really hate those 3.5mm solutions because then you have to remember to charge THOSE two, so that's THREE things I have to charge to listen to audio. Yuck.

I have the Motorola S9 Stereo Headphones and they are AWESOME with my T-Mobile Wing which has built in Bluetooth with A2DP profile. I just want something like this for the Zune....

http://www.store.motorola.com/mot/en/US/htdocs/productMgr/datasheet/accessy_D650_ipod_adapter.jpg (http://www.store.motorola.com/mot/en/US/adirect/motorola?cmd=catProductDetail&showAddButton=true&productID=89147J)

xanatos451
11-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Actually I just had the exact same thought last month and made my own. There are no dock connector blutooth modules for the Zune. I too have the S9 headset and purchased it specifically for this project. All in all, it works great. I'm looking into a way to get the remote control functionality to work, but basically I just took a small bluetooth module made for the iPod and stripped away the connectors, and then used the casing and components from the Zune FM Transmitter (Version 1). It uses the internal power of the Zune, allows pass through charging, and can easilly be connected/disconnected but remains secure and low profile without having to worry about damaging the audio connector. I'm not 100% complete with it, as I only started on this last week, but I'll try and post some pictures of it once I get done.

If you are interested in building one, I can turn you on to the bluetooth module I used in mine. It requires a little skill with soldering, but there's only about 5 wires you will need to connect for power and audio to go through the dock connector. Hopefully Microsoft will realize their faux pois in not putting bluetooth on the new Zune's and release a bluetooth adapter in the near future.

crstffr
11-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey xanatos, I'd be interested in seeing the details of your hack. Sounds like exactly what I want, but can not find. Why do you think they pushed so hard on the WiFi thing (which is 99% pointless in my opinion), but left out the bluetooth? And still no official a2dp accessories? Seems like they missed the ball big time.

But I still really like my zune and would like to make it work with a2dp, so if you can post the process that would be awesome. Thanks!

-Chris

xanatos451
11-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes, I think that MS just didn't feel that bluetooth audio had caught on enough at the time to push it as a feature for the new Zunes. I was really disappointed in them as I was fully expecting this to be a feature on the new Zune 2. It would have truly made it a favorite over the iPod in that regard. I actually was sitting on this idea for this mod until I heard a verification that bluetooth would not be a feature on the Zune 2. I'm sure they may end up making a dock interface module eventually, but seeing as to how long it takes for them to get anything made for it, it may be a while.

In other news, I've actually changed my thinking on this hack and have actually decided to put the bluetooth radio inside the Zune itself. I was doing the hard drive upgrade and felt that it would be best to not have to attach something whenever I wanted to use my headset. Right now I'm trying to get info on a thinner battery to fit the bluetooth board inside the casing, but other than that, it's fully functional as an internal component. (no play controls unfortunately) The bluetooth only transmits the audio as the serial interface is different between the iPod and the Zune and thusly would not work for play control. Now, I know you're probably concerned about having the BT audio transmitting all the time and running the battery down. No worries, I hooked the power up to the transistor that turns the power on/off for the wireless module and the bluetooth can be switched on/off from inside the settings menu.

Microsoft had better get a clue as to what would differentiate itself from the iPod if they are going to succeed with this. There's no reason other than lack of foresight or very slight (and I do mean slight) cost differences in going with a wireless radio that supports bluetooth and wifi. They make chips out there already that do both. I would have easily been first in line for a Zune 2 if bluetooth had been an option. But alas, we'll have to take this in our own hands for now.

Anybody who knows of a battery (iPod or other) that is compatible with the Zune and thinner, please let me know. I'd rather not sacrifice mAh in order to achieve this and would of course prefer a higher capacity one if space savings can be realized. Photos and details will come soon. (Have to bum a digital camera)

Sven Johannsen
11-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Yes, I think that MS just didn't feel that bluetooth audio had caught on enough at the time to push it as a feature for the new Zunes.
Guess they hadn't been in a cell phone store lately then. You can't swing a dead cat in those places without hitting a BT something or other. Granted the concept of stereo, rather than just headset isn't as big a push for phones either, but it is certainly catching on, with most cell feature sets including MP3 capabilities. BT is a feature that MS had the option of being out in front. I'd have gladly given up the WiFi sync, or sharing for that matter, for BT capabilities. Sharing and syncing could have been implemented over BT as well for that matter.

xanatos451
11-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Sven, I've started a writeup on putting a bluetooth radio internal on the Zune to allow wireless streaming to a bluetooth stereo headset if you're interested in checking it out. Rather than reposting the same info in two places, here's the link for my project. http://www.zunescene.mobi/forums/index.php?topic=23145.0

Sven Johannsen
11-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Sounds neat, but I'm not big into hacking things up any more. I just buy 'em, use 'em as they are, and complain about the shortcomings. As you get older that last part is one of the joys in life you have left ;)

I'd be fairly pleased with something like what Paladin27 pictured in the initial post.

Who knows, maybe Zune III will come with BT in the first place.

xanatos451
11-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Not gonna hold my breath on that, but it'd be nice. You can bet your sweet pippy that if the next gen iPod device goes bluetooth, MS will be forced to do it. If enough people clamor about it, I wouldn't even be surprised with a mid version change. (i.e. Zune 2.5) That's not likely either, but I'd bet there's an industrius Chinese company out there keeping an eye on Zune proliferation to develop compatible aftermarket items when it reaches a certain saturation point.