View Full Version : Apple Matters: Zune is Serious

David Tucker
10-19-2007, 02:23 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/why-the-zune-will-outdo-the-ipod-111/' target='_blank'>http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/why-the-zune-will-outdo-the-ipod-111/</a><br /><br /></div><em>&ldquo;The Zune&rsquo;s introduction was met with much criticism from the Apple community and was passed off as an iPod knockoff. Recently, Microsoft updated the platform and proved why Apple should be wary of the Redmond based company. <br /><br />Consumer friendly hardware. Those three words don&rsquo;t seem like something that would go hand in hand with Microsoft, but when it comes to the Zune, the two share the same traits. Compared to the iPod and even iPhone, the Zune lacks in design and capabilities, but after the recent introduction of two new flash players and a product refresh, Microsoft just showed how a product should be made in terms of support. &ldquo; <br /></em><br />Well, the reception that the Zune G2 line is getting is far different than the reception that the G1 line received. There are even Apple diehards who, even if they have no intention of getting a Zune, at least see that Microsoft has a serious entry into the market. <a href="http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/why-the-zune-will-outdo-the-ipod-111/">Tanner sees what Microsoft</a> is doing with the Zune and he realizes the potential. And while I think we&rsquo;re a year or two away still from seeing a Zune device that will make people stop in their tracks and buy it over an iPod, the writing on the wall is there.<br /><br />We may never see that day. I&rsquo;m not convinced Apple can&rsquo;t be beat though. The Walkman dominated the market partially due to its innovation and &lsquo;must have&rsquo; appeal. That&rsquo;s what the iPod is doing. The difference, today, is that the world is faster paced than most people can keep up with. If Apple fans can see it, then I think there might be something to it.

enjoythemusic
10-19-2007, 06:48 AM
User friendly... HA! Can we use our Zunes as an external HD like hundreds of thousands do with the iPod? Can we playback UNCOMPRESSED audio files like many people do with the iPod? Do we or will we ever have easy interfaces to other products (car audio, a plethora of portable speakers, car audio integration, etc) like you see with the iPod?

Does anyone at Zune care about sound quality, because the iPod is kicking the Zune rear quarters big time when it comes to the ability of playing higher resolution files.

So, does the new Zune play uncompressed audio and stream out digital audio via USB (like the iPod) as no one has been able to answer that simple question.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Macguy59
10-19-2007, 08:32 PM
the writing on the wall is there.

Really? Are you assuming Apple will stand pat in that 1 year time period?

David Tucker
10-20-2007, 04:26 PM
No, but there's a reason why in most other markets, people buy & compare. Microsoft's first offering wasn't enough to make many even consider it. The 2G models have garnered a much more positive feeling. iPods are popular but I don't think they're any longer the "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE IT" item that they were. They're what people tend to buy because of the name recognition.

Sony didn't stand pat on the PS3, yet somehow the XBox & Wii have left it in the dust. Unthinkable a few years ago. I don't believe Microsoft will ever leave Apple in the dust...but when I say the writing is on the wall, I mean that the time is close that Microsoft will be a very serious #2 in this market.

Macguy59
10-21-2007, 10:24 PM
No, but there's a reason why in most other markets, people buy & compare. Microsoft's first offering wasn't enough to make many even consider it. The 2G models have garnered a much more positive feeling. iPods are popular but I don't think they're any longer the "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE IT" item that they were. They're what people tend to buy because of the name recognition.

Sony didn't stand pat on the PS3, yet somehow the XBox & Wii have left it in the dust. Unthinkable a few years ago. I don't believe Microsoft will ever leave Apple in the dust...but when I say the writing is on the wall, I mean that the time is close that Microsoft will be a very serious #2 in this market.

Makes sense but in reality it's the consumers pocketbook that will determine that. MS needs to do a much better job of promoting it.

David Tucker
10-22-2007, 03:08 AM
I think MS needs to really overhaul their marketing dept in general.

mszunefan
10-22-2007, 03:32 PM
User friendly... HA! Can we use our Zunes as an external HD like hundreds of thousands do with the iPod? Can we playback UNCOMPRESSED audio files like many people do with the iPod? Do we or will we ever have easy interfaces to other products (car audio, a plethora of portable speakers, car audio integration, etc) like you see with the iPod?

Does anyone at Zune care about sound quality, because the iPod is kicking the Zune rear quarters big time when it comes to the ability of playing higher resolution files.

So, does the new Zune play uncompressed audio and stream out digital audio via USB (like the iPod) as no one has been able to answer that simple question.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Yes you can use your Zune like a HD with a simple hack. But a Zune (and an iPod) are music/video players so why would you want to use either as a harddrive?

Yes with the new firmware update and teh new Zune 4, 8 and 80 you will be able to play WMA Lossless and a video file that is 748 by 468 resolution higher than the iPod's 640 by 480

Yes there are several docks out for the Zune and even first party accessories for the car and home

Actually most reviewers state that the 1st gen Zunes have better audio quality than the iPods and the new Zune 80s will come with silicon premium earbuds. Whats that the new iPods come with the cheap white earbuds they have been coming with for years?

No the Zunes do not allow you to plug into any computer and stream the music on your Zune to that computer to play. I hate this missing feature but in all fairness you can't do this with an iPod unless you have iTunes or the iPod drivers installed.

Now let me ask you some questions...
Who has the bigger screen?
Who outputs video in a higher quality?
Who is built tougher?
Who has not only DRM-free music but also a $14.99 unlimited download subscription?
Who has Wifi transering to other devices in its family?
Who has Wifi transfering from the PC?
Who has intergrated abilites with Windows Media Center w/TV tuner?

Wow my list is longer, enjoy answering those

Macguy59
10-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Now let me ask you some questions...
Who has the bigger screen?
Who outputs video in a higher quality?
Who is built tougher?
Who has not only DRM-free music but also a $14.99 unlimited download subscription?
Who has Wifi transering to other devices in its family?
Who has Wifi transfering from the PC?
Who has intergrated abilites with Windows Media Center w/TV tuner?

Wow my list is longer, enjoy answering those

The iPod Touch has the bigger screen. The Nano's also have a bigger screen than the Flash based Zunes.

The Zune does have higher res output but the Nano's can output video whereas the Flash based Zunes can't

Who's built tougher? That's subjective. I haven't heard of any screen scratching issues with the new 'Pods. If tougher equals chunkier then the Zune wins.

Uh iTunes store had DRM free content before Zune Marketplace but it doesn't have a subscription model. Show me a subscription model that sells better than a per-track one.

No there isn't wireless syncing with iTunes (yet) but the 'Touch can access and download/buy content from the iTunes music store via Wi-Fi. Can the Zune do that with Zune Marketplace?

No it doesn't have hooks for Media Center. Why would it?