View Full Version : Zune 2 Rumors Again?

David Tucker
09-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Alright! The Zune 2 details have been confirmed by an insider over at Zune Scene. *insert record scratch noise here* Wait a second, let's hold up for JUST a moment. I debated even writing anything about this when I first saw this go up on <a href="http://www.zunescene.com/zune-2-launch-date/">Zune Scene</a>. I should have known half the internet would pick up on it. <br /><br />First of all, I fully believe Zune 2 is coming and coming soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it took a form similar to what we've seen in pictures but those pictures look so fake to me that I just can't believe that's the Zune in its final form. <br /><br />I also question the color options as legitimate. Black is a no brainer. But red and pink as the ONLY other color choices? I just find it hard to believe that white wouldn't be an option. It's almost a requirement. And brown has been a very good seller. I think it's always been #2 behind black on Amazon. <br /><br />October doesn't seem to be an unreasonable release month. But this source gave a very specific October 16th. I guess we'll have to see. <br /><br />My issue with this 'interview' is that other than the release date (which the source covered themselves for by saying it was a target) every piece of information given was pretty vague. I could have acted as a source and given essentially the same information. <br /><br />The Zune Phone is the kicker for me. If this all comes to pass, I'll eat my words. But I'm very skeptical of what I'm reading right now.

justrick
09-20-2007, 04:15 PM
I would be very, very surprised if that transcript came from a real conversation with someone on the Zune team. Everyone at Microsoft is very tight-lipped when it comes to new products. To me it smacks of fabrication.

mszunefan
09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
If any other Zune site would have broke this story I might believe them but zunescene.com probably saw their userbase dipping so they came up with this lie of a story. Just to let you know according to their "factual" report Jeep Green will also be a color. Regardless I will wait until we hear from Cesar. Cesar really hasn't been posting much lately and I think thats because they are building up a big launch info annoucement

David Tucker
09-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I would be very, very surprised if that transcript came from a real conversation with someone on the Zune team. Everyone at Microsoft is very tight-lipped when it comes to new products. To me it smacks of fabrication.

I'm not going to say I disagree with any of this. ;)

rohitharsh
09-20-2007, 04:35 PM
I have to agree too. Somehow it just does not feel right. Why do I get a feeling that MS has been learning from Apple. Just like Apple they have learned to stay quite. Apple also promises less so that they can deliver more. Can this be what Zune is up to? Build lower expectation through these pictures to come up with a better device?

We will know soon.

By the way I found something interesting:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=2388 (http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=2388)

I like the whole concept A LOT!! If Zune does implement this I think it will be awesome! I really want them to come up with 2 or 3 features which are so compelling that Apple has to follow.

ZappCatt
09-20-2007, 04:36 PM
and to push their reputation even lower, they decided to make a fake Ballmer page...
I am sure that they will come out and say that this was all just a huge parody of the other sites..and that they were making fun of the demands for Zune news.

I was not impressed..and will move them down to the "weekly" check on the list of ZUne sites...

Oh well..

C'Mon MSFT announce already..

Holiday Lists are being made and without ANY news...or updates of the first gen, it is hard to hold a spot for a "potential" competitor to either the Zen 8gb + SD slot($199) or the iTouch/Nano devices...

andre
09-20-2007, 04:57 PM
i believe is just a stunt designed to bring in more web traffic...that it.

ZuneScene: Will there be green along with red, pink and black? The picture doesn't show green.
Source: Yes the green looks like an old army jeep green, the pink looks like pepto bismol.

why would ANY interviewer bring up a question about a green ZUNE when no one has even mentioned this color? a real question would have been...are there any other colors besides, red, pink and black. Yet this 'interviewer' decided to ask a specific question about a specific color just so the 'interview looks legit.

just a stunt and that's it.

zune scene
09-20-2007, 05:07 PM
i believe is just a stunt designed to bring in more web traffic...that it

So if Microsoft releases an army green flash based 4 & 8 gb Zune with a squircle will you take back all the mean hearted stuff you are saying? Just asking. :cool:

Jason Dunn
09-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Everyone at Microsoft is very tight-lipped when it comes to new products. To me it smacks of fabrication.

Indeed, I've been working with Microsoft for 10 years now and I've never encountered anyone that's eager to blab about unreleased products to people with Web sites that will publish the information.

The ONE exception I've seen are the sales channel guys - the product team people keep their mouths shut, but I've seen sales guys blab about stuff because they want to sell it. :rolleyes:

I guess we'll see in a month or so!

Jason Dunn
09-20-2007, 05:46 PM
So if Microsoft releases an army green flash based 4 & 8 gb Zune with a squircle will you take back all the mean hearted stuff you are saying? Just asking. :cool:

Hi there ZuneScene, thanks for stopping by. :)

The problem with rumours is that they somehow magically get turned into fact - unless your mystery source is going to come out and identify who he is, everything remains tagged as a rumour. What I dislike is how your rumour somehow magically becomes "fact" as more and more sites link to and report on it. And it disappoints me how so many sites will link to anything, no matter how weak the information is.

I'm quite sure I could take a picture of the Zune, paint it silver and post a story stating that a silver Zune was coming and get 100's of Web sites linking here. But that's not how I want to build my site. I don't know if that's what you've done or not - I guess we'll see soon enough.

If the Zune 2.0 is what your source has said it will be, I'll be the first to eat my words - you'll have a front page post from me stating that you and your source were right. But if your rumours don't come to reality, then you can expect an equally strongly worded post about not believing every rumour out there. :D

Rocco Augusto
09-20-2007, 05:52 PM
While I do hope we get the new Zunes soonish, I'm not to sure about that story. Rereading it, the whole conversation, from both angels, sounds as if it is all one person. Humans by nature have very distinctive speaking patterns (verbally and written word) and both individuals in this "interview" appear to use the same speech pattern and vocabulary.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the conversation didn't take place but I will say that the whole back and fourth was written by a single person.

And yes, if I'm wrong I'll happily take back my statement, but first I have to be proved wrong ;)

Damion Chaplin
09-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Shenanigans!

I agree with Rocco. Either that was a conversation held with himself, or he was seriously paraphrasing the source so it sounded like himself...

andre
09-21-2007, 01:01 AM

'IF' these rumors are true then I should eat my words and your site will be acknowledged and praised as a valuable place to get accurate rumors.

if there is no army green zune then one would assume that your web traffic will go down. and all subsequent 'insider' attempts will be dismissed. your test will be coming soon! my plate is ready for a nice dish of 'eating my words':)

finally, my words were not mean hearted (as I expect you know already) any prophet/soothsayer/insider knows that 2nd guessing is part of the process. no need to get defensive about people 2nd guessing your data or motive or agenda as it comes with the territory. if you are accurate you will build trust in people.

zune scene
09-21-2007, 01:34 AM
'IF' these rumors are true then I should eat my words and your site will be acknowledged and praised as a valuable place to get accurate rumors.

if there is no army green zune then one would assume that your web traffic will go down. and all subsequent 'insider' attempts will be dismissed. your test will be coming soon! my plate is ready for a nice dish of 'eating my words':)

finally, my words were not mean hearted (as I expect you know already) any prophet/soothsayer/insider knows that 2nd guessing is part of the process. no need to get defensive about people 2nd guessing your data or motive or agenda as it comes with the territory. if you are accurate you will build trust in people.

My source is good. I published this April 10 2007
"A new building is currently under construction in Dao Min China, next to the one that makes the XBOX 360" he said." as part of my first leak.

And it was verified May 14 2007.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-delves-further-manufacturing-zune/story.aspx?guid=%7B50793962-8F9A-4CBA-B00D-08D7E292AD5D%7D

I spelled Doumen wrong, but it was my best shot at the spelling.

So I guess all things will be proved out over time.

Rocco Augusto
09-21-2007, 03:35 AM
I spelled Doumen wrong, but it was my best shot at the spelling.

thats why i use google when i have to deal with big words that i cannot spell ;)

tbird
09-21-2007, 06:35 AM
You just gotta love internet Rumors!!!
They take on a life of thier own.......
A good reporter never reports on something (like the new Zune) without getting confirmation from at least 3 sources!!
From what I can tell, the news came from somebody who IMO really didnt sound to "up" on the Zune.
I work in the broadcast news business and to be honest with out any other "sources" to confirm the story, would have dumped it.
So if "zunescene" was right good for them, but if they were wrong, well......:o

Jason Dunn
09-21-2007, 09:02 PM
A good reporter never reports on something (like the new Zune) without getting confirmation from at least 3 sources!!

I think the "three sources" thing went out with dial-up modems (for better or worse). ;)

Sven Johannsen
09-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Three sources before reporting? What planet are you from? We don't even worry about three sources when dealing with ballistic missiles. Reporters go with one source they may have payed to say it.

tbird
09-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Three sources before reporting? What planet are you from? We don't even worry about three sources when dealing with ballistic missiles. Reporters go with one source they may have payed to say it.
Not the ones who work for me!!!!:mad:
This whole she said he said internet rumor thing is really starting to tick me off.
Oh, its on the internet so it must be TRUE!!!!! Give me a break.
If zunescene had done their job and checked the source and then gotten confirmation from at least somebody else, well I may buy into it....But one conservation with an unnamed source....Give me a break.
In my world....at this point the attorneys start to show up.

Sven Johannsen
09-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Not the ones who work for me!!!!:mad:
This whole she said he said internet rumor thing is really starting to tick me off.
Oh, its on the internet so it must be TRUE!!!!!
;)Did I need to use the tongue in cheek smiley?:rolleyes: You obviously don't read the headlines at the checkout at the grocery store.:D

tbird
09-23-2007, 06:30 PM
You obviously don't read the headlines at the checkout at the grocery store.:D
LOL......No I dont!!!:D

sracer
09-27-2007, 07:23 PM
I work in the broadcast news business and to be honest with out any other "sources" to confirm the story, would have dumped it.
I don't know if you actually work in the broadcast news business...or at least in a position directly connected with news broadcasts (you incorrectly use "with out" instead of "without") but the "3 source rule" hasn't been a "rule" for at least a decade.

David Tucker
09-28-2007, 08:52 PM
I don't personally feel, to write a story, that any specific number of sources are required. However, when you're dealing with insider information, I think it is important to maintain a degree of skepticism about the information provided. If something is presented as a rumor or conjecture, then I think its ok to go with less confirmation as long as you don't misrepresent the information as total fact. Even if you BELIEVE it to be true...I don't think its responsible to present it as the absolute truth.