View Full Version : Another Rumour Canned: There Is No Blue Zune

Jason Dunn
09-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Not that this is anything to be proud about given how flimsy the information was, <a target="_blank" href="http://www.zunethoughts.com/news/show/23027/a-blue-zune-i-don-t-think-so.html">but I called it</a>: there is no blue Zune, it was just badly coloured advertisement. It truly amazes me how the weakest rumours get picked up by dozens of sites (including this one) and get front-page exposure on one of the <a target="_blank" href="http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/11/blue-zune-leaked-via-target-ad/">biggest tech sites out there</a>. Then a few days later <a href="http://www.zune-online.com/news/zune/target-this-is-not-a-blue-zune.html" target="_blank">the truth comes out</a>:<br /><br /><em>&quot;I'm sorry, but pictured Zune Mp3 player -blue is incorrectly marked. It was suppose to be a black one next to the red Zune. The only other colors the Zune Mp3 player comes in is: black , red, brown, pink, and white. Target doesn't sell a blue one.&quot;</em><br /><br />Should I have even posted this &quot;news&quot; in the first place? Probably not. Since this is the first Thoughts Media site about a specific product, I have to admit I'm more liberal with the type of news I post. What kind of a news site do you want Zune Thoughts to be? Do you want every rumour posted, no matter how crazy? Or do you want me to filter out what I consider to be junk and focus in on only the good stuff, even if it means less new gets posted?

StellarStaticHawk
09-14-2007, 02:47 AM
hmm...That would've been a neat color to have.

Alber1690
09-14-2007, 02:56 AM
Nothing wrong with rumors as long as the doubt is presented and explained. Keep 'em coming... :D

Adam Krebs
09-14-2007, 04:33 AM
I think one of my favorite things about ZuneThoughts is that it doesn't try to be your one-stop destination for All Things Zune. The stuff here is more reflective and--dare I say--thoughtful about the Zune news, posting more analysis than scoops. I go to the other sites to watch them scramble to be the first to pick up the latest scrap of information, only to have the article littered with EDIT notes later when the information is found to be false or slightly wrong. I come here to see the thinking behind the decision, and the thoughtful reactions (along with the Marketplace freebies--though Cesar should probably be covering that).

David Tucker
09-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Someone coming to watch me think. Now that's scary...:eek:

bleeman
09-14-2007, 05:30 AM
I like the way you guys handle things now. You're generally my "one-stop-shop" for all things Zune. I check out the other sites when I have some extra time, but prefer the writing style and people here so keep up the good work and stick with what you do best!

mgullotta
09-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I think you are doing a great job of reporting.
Besides, that story was run EVERYWHERE, which made it totally appropriate to report on it.

By the way, there is a general problem that there is so little news to report on in the first place, that minor stories like this go straight to the top.

Damion Chaplin
09-14-2007, 08:16 PM
My personal preference would be to continue what you're doing: report the rumor, then tell us why you think it's not so.

As mgullotta pointed out, it was picked up everywhere, so it would have been odd and silly if we hadn't reported on it.

I have to wonder though... Blue has been shown in study after study to be 'America's favorite color', so why no blue Zune? I've never heard anyone say brown was their favorite color... ;)

ChrisToohey
09-14-2007, 10:38 PM
I think you're getting the point from everyone saying "Keep'em coming", but I'll add another one to the top of the pile:

Keep the rumors coming - debunk the falsies and confirm the ones that you can... please!

David Tucker
09-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Well, I do have to say an advantage of putting rumors out there (with a healthy dose of skepticism) is that even if we don't spot the signs that reveal it to be false, someone else might. That 'blue' Zune even looked black to me but the price list that I posted had little clues on it that I didn't spot.

So as long as the rumor isn't too bizarre, I like talking about it.