View Full Version : BlackJack to get Windows Mobile 6 on September 17th?

Mike Temporale
08-29-2007, 04:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board/message?board.id=samsung&thread.id=39281' target='_blank'>http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board/message?board.id=samsung&thread.id=39281</a><br /><br /></div><p>We originally reported that the Samsung BlackJack would see a new ROM released late in the summer allowing users to upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.&nbsp; If I recall, the expected release date was sometime in July.&nbsp; That's come and gone and the BlackJack users still having nothing to show for it.&nbsp; Except a leaked ROM, but that's kind of unstable and had a lot of issues with it.</p><p>Now, word is circulating that the production release of Windows Mobile 6 for the BlackJack will hit the streets (or maybe just AT&amp;T's website) on September 17th. I know that sounds far away, but really it's just a couple weeks.&nbsp; We can hang on until then, right?&nbsp; </p>

gai-jin
08-29-2007, 04:53 AM
That's right on time... first day of fall is 9/21, IIRC, so 9/17 would be 'late summer'. :)

Agent13
08-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I decided that the issues with the leaked WM6 ROM were not "Show Stoppers" so I've been running on my BlackJack since May. Lately, the biggest issue I've had is loosing the credentials to login to my Exchange server, so have thought that might be enough reason to downgrade. If this date is real, I'll deal with my minor issues and upgrade then!

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is true!

runbuh
08-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Lately, the biggest issue I've had is loosing the credentials to login to my Exchange server, so have thought that might be enough reason to downgrade.

That's a strange one. I am not having that problem, nor are any of my colleagues. My company is using Exchange 2003 SP2, while most of my colleagues are connected to Exchange Server 2007. We're all using BlackJacks with the leaked WM6 upgrade.

rdecker
08-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I have been running the leaked ROM also for about a month. No issues with it at all. None-the-less it will be nice to have the official release. Maybe they will do a better job on the bluetooth implementation.....

ironguy
08-29-2007, 05:41 PM
SO do you think that AT&T will notify us BJ owners or will we have to go hunt down the update?

Jerry Raia
08-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Just come here, we will tell you where it is. :D

Rocco Augusto
08-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I can't wait for the new ROM, after playing around with the leaked Beta ROM, I found one annoying bug that just made the device unusable. If I received a call while I was already on a call with someone else, the moment I did a swap, I would lose the ability to use the back arrow and the hangup button. Since lately I am spending a great deal of time on the phone, I just can't live with a glitch such as that :(

MadSci
08-30-2007, 06:17 PM
that ATT actually delivers on this update. It will be a first for them to actually support a smartphone product that they sell :rolleyes:

In the meantime, say your prayers, and remember the 4 Rules:

1. Don't buy ANY cellular product on the basis of what "will" be coming to you. If you value it, wait until it is put into your hand.

2. Don't invest any time in loading up your new Smartphone/PDA with programs and data until AFTER you have verified every single feature you have been told will be on the phone, and every thing you 'heard' will be on the phone.

3. Return it IMMEDIATELY upon discovering something from "2." above is missing/non-functional.

4. Don't belive ANYTHING a salesperson tells you. The level of ignorance, misunderstanding and misinformation they absorb and then spew back at you is amazing, and they suffer no penalties for selling you a phone that doesn't work as advertised.

:)

MadSci

Mike Temporale
08-30-2007, 06:30 PM
I have been running the leaked ROM also for about a month. No issues with it at all. None-the-less it will be nice to have the official release. Maybe they will do a better job on the bluetooth implementation.....

Really? None? I've found more than a couple. Enough that it's been painful at times. Like when new emails arrive the right soft key doesn't switch to Messages like it did before. Or from the home page if you start to enter a name that has an "N" in it, you'll never find it. The "N" is replaced with the "M" when dialling from the home page. However, if you press Contacts first and then try it, the "N" is now an N again. Oh, and data seems to hang up about once a week or so. I end up having to reboot otherwise I can't make a data connection at all.

Can't wait for the update. Hopefully I'll won't have switched to another new device by then. Although, my wife and brother are lining up to take the BlackJack off my hands. :p

rdecker
08-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Really? None? I've found more than a couple. Enough that it's been painful at times. Like when new emails arrive the right soft key doesn't switch to Messages like it did before. Or from the home page if you start to enter a name that has an "N" in it, you'll never find it. The "N" is replaced with the "M" when dialling from the home page. However, if you press Contacts first and then try it, the "N" is now an N again. Oh, and data seems to hang up about once a week or so. I end up having to reboot otherwise I can't make a data connection at all.

Can't wait for the update. Hopefully I'll won't have switched to another new device by then. Although, my wife and brother are lining up to take the BlackJack off my hands. :p

I have not experienced the N problem; just tried it...Odd

The softkey thing is fine with me since the envelope button is hardcoded for mail.

Never had the hangup problem with V6; I did with V5....

Go figure...

Edtarboosh
08-31-2007, 05:38 PM
I have V5 on ATT rom version BJ and need to reboot once to twice a week also. I cross alot of G3 and Edge networks on my travels. I was told it is good to reboot to get tower updates.

Can't wait to try V6 when you guys say it looks good

hotdram
09-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Any word on if the official WM6 ROM will be out today?

~Rob

Mike Temporale
09-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I'mkeeping my eye's open and watching the AT&T site. If anyone sees news of this, please let us know! Just click the Contact link at the top of the page. :cool:

camix
09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah I'm really anticipating this update. Hopefully it comes out today like everyone is speculating. :)

acharn
09-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Okay, I believed the post that 9/17 was the day for the Blackjack WM 6.0 upgrade. It looks like that was not accurate. Who's gonna break the news first? Smartphone Thoughts or another discussion board that we all read?

Is my Blackjack dead in the water with 5.0 or are we really going to get the upgrade? I am SO ready to dump the smartphone. Why shouldn't I just get an iPhone? It seems to do everything I do now, only better. Come on Microsoft. Looks like you are running around with your pants around your ankles over this thing. Give me a break AT&T/Cingular. Don't act like a U.S. leader and then forget about your constituents. Show me you care or I am defecting to the Apple by Christmas. Why NOT?

Mike Temporale
09-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Okay, I believed the post that 9/17 was the day for the Blackjack WM 6.0 upgrade. It looks like that was not accurate.

Sadly it does. :( Just another bump in the road. The original ship date was June, if I recall correctly.

Who's gonna break the news first? Smartphone Thoughts or another discussion board that we all read?

There's other discussion boards out there that people read? Nah, it's not true. ;)

Is my Blackjack dead in the water with 5.0 or are we really going to get the upgrade?

No, my sources have told me that it's 100% coming out. Delays happen, unfortunately.

I am SO ready to dump the smartphone. Why shouldn't I just get an iPhone? It seems to do everything I do now, only better. Come on Microsoft. Looks like you are running around with your pants around your ankles over this thing. Give me a break AT&T/Cingular. Don't act like a U.S. leader and then forget about your constituents. Show me you care or I am defecting to the Apple by Christmas. Why NOT?

Microsoft has nothing to do with this. Windows Mobile 6 was finished and shipped to ODMs back in the early part of the year. If the carriers and manufacturers drag their feet for a 6 months or a year, there's nothing Microsoft can do about it. They've done their part. It's up to AT&T and Samsung now.

hotdram
09-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Is my Blackjack dead in the water with 5.0 or are we really going to get the upgrade? I am SO ready to dump the smartphone. Why shouldn't I just get an iPhone?

Sounds like you should get the iPhone. If the iPhone will do everything you need, then what will the jump from WM5 to WM6 gain you?
What do you mean by dead in the water? When I bought the Blackjack, it was sold with WM5, there were no promises made from Samsung, ATT and least of all Microsoft that a ROM for WM6 would be made available for it. It wasn't dead in the water then, nor is it now. I got what I paid for and I don't expect an upgrade, if it happens great, if not, so what. If you knew WM6 was coming out and wanted it, why not wait until a phone with it became available (granted ATT is lagging on that one). I bought a new truck five years ago, the next model year they upgraded to a newer diesel engine technology (which I knew was coming), I didn't rush down to the Dodge dealer and demand that they replace my engine for free with the latest and greatest, why should we expect any other manufacturers to do the same?

~Rob

acharn
09-18-2007, 05:51 PM
The ATT forums say 10/1 is the new date. According to a memo I read some of the issues are indeed MS as they have to make certain updates.

Ah, I wouldn't go and ASK for a new engine, but if the company said that they would provide one to me when they release it, then I would be waiting in line. I think you would take them up on it as well.

thefloyd
09-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Ah, I wouldn't go and ASK for a new engine, but if the company said that they would provide one to me when they release it, then I would be waiting in line. I think you would take them up on it as well.

The company said? Can you tell me exactly when and where AT&T was quoted as saying blackjacks were getting WM6, other than rumors and speculation?
Fact is (as stated very well by someone on the cingy/att forums) "we paid a good price for a good phone as-is." Cingular/ATT has no obligation to upgrade you, I've yet to see a single press release or announcement posted on their webpage stating anything about a promised upgrade.

Would you go to the car dealer and say "well bob told me you guys were gonna put a new engine in my car, so you should?"

I think not..

acharn
09-21-2007, 05:04 PM
The company said? Can you tell me exactly when and where AT&T was quoted as saying blackjacks were getting WM6, other than rumors and speculation?
Fact is (as stated very well by someone on the cingy/att forums) "we paid a good price for a good phone as-is." Cingular/ATT has no obligation to upgrade you, I've yet to see a single press release or announcement posted on their webpage stating anything about a promised upgrade.

Would you go to the car dealer and say "well bob told me you guys were gonna put a new engine in my car, so you should?"

I think not..

You must not have a Blackjack. If you do, then I would conclude that you are reading this thread to see how/when you can get yourself an upgrade to your phone?