View Full Version : Would You Listen to Ads in Exchange for Free Music?

Jason Dunn
08-20-2007, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070819-activated-licenses-ms-watermarking-to-sell-ads.html' target='_blank'>http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070819-activated-licenses-ms-watermarking-to-sell-ads.html</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;Microsoft has agreed to license its audio watermarking technology to Activated Content Corp. of Seattle. We all know watermarking's place as a part of the music industry's DRM toolbox, but Activated&mdash;already a DRM watermarking player&mdash;now wants to use Microsoft's watermarking technology to get into the advertising business. Watermarks... and ads? Yep. According to the announcement of the deal, &quot;Microsoft's audio watermarking technology consists of digital audio software tools that will allow Activated Content to insert and extract non-secure data into audio files that they can use to offer additional services to the audio file end users.&quot; DRM provides few &quot;additional services&quot; to end users, so it's clear that the two companies are either taking the concept of &quot;spin&quot; to new levels or else they're talking about something else entirely.&quot;</em><br /><br />Ars Technica has an interesting write up on audio watermarking technology and how it may be used to distribute free music that is embedded with a highly-targeted advertisement. I don't know about you, but I get the feeling that an implementation like this wouldn't be terribly successful. Every single &quot;we'll give you free music in exchange for doing such and such&quot; has gone nowhere. I don't expect this to be any different.

Rocco Augusto
08-20-2007, 08:06 PM
i would just be annoyed if i had to listen to ads for music, thats why i dont watch MTV :)

Chris Gohlke
08-21-2007, 06:56 PM
I'd be OK with it IF they did not overdo it. Essentially, I'm already doing this listening to the radio. If in exchange I get higher quality than radio, and total control of what music I listen to (ie the ability to have my own playlist and listen to a song as many times as I like) I'd be willing to have a few minutes of ads per hour.