View Full Version : Steve Litchfield Show 40 - What a 2007 Smartphone Should Be!

Pete Paxton
08-11-2007, 01:30 AM
I just watched Steve Litchfield's You Tube Show 40. Within this show he defines what he believes a 2007 smartphone should be. I find it interesting that he uses the non qwerty N95 Nokia smartphone for his reference. He and I definitely have a difference of opinion of what a 2007 smartphone should be. First of all, my ideal device would not include the Symbian OS. Second, I must have a qwerty keyboard. Third, a high megapixel camera and video camera&nbsp;are options but nothing I feel I need on a smartphone. So why don't you link on over and give his video clip a look and then come on back and post what you think.&nbsp;Do you agree or disagree with what he needs for a 2007 smartphone. What would you add or take away? The segment begins about two minutes into the video. You can find the show <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Hw_o_PtuA">here</a>.

nosmohtac
08-11-2007, 02:02 AM
I agree with much of what Steve has on his must have list.

I also agree with you that the one thing missing is a full qwerty keyboard.
I've been struggling over whether to hold out for the Treo 800 or get the HTC Mogul. They both have qwerty keyboards, but I've grown used to the one handed use of a treo or Moto Q style phone. I have large enough hands that I am able to type on a Mogul holding it with one hand and tapping with one thumb. It isn't the most convenient, but I am able to reach both edges of the keyboard with one thumb.

I think I still prefer the Treo and Moto Q style for one handed use. I would love to have GPS built in, but I can live with BT linked to GPS.

rkdiddy
08-11-2007, 06:36 AM
What I don't get is why HTC, Samsung or Motorola for that point haven't expanded on or released a similar phone to the MPX300.

In my opinion it is the perfect phone. A flip phone, when flipped one way and a landscape full qwerty phone when flipped the other way.

I'm still baffled why this never made it to market???

Stinger
08-11-2007, 11:29 AM
I think it's all down to the difference in what North Americans and Europeans expect a smartphone to be.

Steve is clearing describing a consumer device. It's meant for the general mass market in Europe, just like the N95. The mass market in Europe demands a high quality camera and good video recording abilities. A QWERTY keyboard is less important to a consumer, despite the prevalence of texting in Europe.

Pete, you're clearly describing the kind of enterprise device that most North Americans think of when the term "smartphone" is used. It's a Treo or a Blackberry or a Motorola Q. Again, business customers don't need a high resolution camera.

The same goes for the preference in OS.

Kris Kumar
08-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I would agree with Steve with respect to his requirements for a 2007 smartphone wannabe. Except for maybe the games; I am not much of a gamer.

- GPS is a must have.
- As a music player, a standard 3.5 headset jack and A2DP are both a must.
- And camera, I was never a fan, but now (more on that later) I can see that a camera that is usable is helpful to have.
- Browser, he is on the money with Ajax and Flash support. In fact the pages should be renedered the same way as they appear on the desktop. Opera is close on the WinMo platform to the iPhone experience, but is bugging (so is iPhone's browser).

Keyboard is definitely nice to have. The Dash has definitely spoiled me on that aspect.

chucky.egg
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
That's why there will never be a perfect device.
The manufacturers and networks are trying to appeal to a wide audience, but for me...
GPS? Very nice to have, but in no way essential
Music player? Totally redundant
Camera? Literally a waste of space

I'd rather they spent the money on RAM, processor and miniUSB connectors (my Samsung has naff connectors)

And for pity's sake put the charger socket on the base, not the side of the device!

simpsonsFAN
08-24-2007, 11:01 AM
If only they would release the nokia e61i with windows mobile 6 instead of symbian OS. It has a QWERTY keyboard, 802.11g WiFi, a UMTS/3G, a huge screen, a 2 megapixel camera, and is no bigger than a blackberry. That would be my perfect smartphone.

Will never happen though, *sigh*

iporter
08-27-2007, 05:42 AM
If only they would release the nokia e61i with windows mobile 6 instead of symbian OS. It has a QWERTY keyboard, 802.11g WiFi, a UMTS/3G, a huge screen, a 2 megapixel camera, and is no bigger than a blackberry. That would be my perfect smartphone.

Will never happen though, *sigh*

I think you are describing what can be found on the upcoming/new HTC/Dopod s630 . It has a high-end 400Mhz processor, GPS and looks like the Dash. I think it gets close to looking like an E61.