View Full Version : Start Menu

a99flash
07-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Is it possible to delete / re-order items in the start menu?
This is a Cingular branded Samsung Blackjack SGH-i607 WM 5 and has too many annoying, space hogging, self serving Cingular items.
Thanks

Mike Temporale
07-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Reorder - that can be a little harder because the first 16 or so, icons may be defined in a registry setting. That setting basically tells the start menu what the first page or 2 should contain. So without editing the registry, you can reorder the remainder of the menu.

As for delete, sure! I removed a whole bunch of cingular crap from mine and it's much much nicer. :) Just browse to \Windows\Start Menu and start deleting things you don't want. ALthough, you might want to back it up first. ;)

smittyofdhs
07-09-2007, 08:58 PM
it's very easy to fix the start menu.

First, get a registry editor and a file explorer. I use Resco File Explorer because it has both.

Next, using the registry editor, go to HKCU/software/microsoft/shell/startmenu and remove the key labeled ORDER.

This step removes the hard coded icons that are at the beginning of the start menu.

THen, if you want to hide all those shortcuts that are Cingular based, use the file explorer and go into the properties of the shortcut and mark it as HIDDEN.

You will have to reboot your device to make the changes take effect.