View Full Version : AT&T Getting Ready to Launch the Revolutionary iPod

Kris Kumar
06-29-2007, 02:50 PM
In a few hours from now AT&T Wireless will start selling the most anticipated and the most hyped gadget. Apple claims that it is the best iPod ever. Reviewers claim that it has the best browser ever for a mobile device. Almost everyone, myself included, is drooling over the screen size, resolution and brightness. Then there is the much debated touch screen, which Apple has managed to blend in (nicely) with the eye-candy user interface elements. The battery life really amazes me; Apple has packed the battery polymer into every nook and cranny of this sealed gadget giving it more life than other similar units on the market. Talking about similar units, do you think this seamless iPod+Browser+Phone gadget should be compared with the smart phones in the market.

Walt Mossberg did in his review, to compare size and battery life. But if it is compared to the smart phones, shouldn’t this gadget get beaten up for not having better email and third-party application support. Shouldn’t this gadget get dinged badly for having too many steps to perform simple steps like dialing a number. It seems to me that the eye-candy interface has taken away the attention from those details. It has been touted as a mobile computer and what a mobile computer should be. Unfortunately Apple has this computer locked down. The mobile OS on this device is close to 700MB in size, I am sure it can do a lot more than what it does now. This is where Apple’s design team comes in and makes a bold decision. They saw that there is a big segment of users that wanted music+email+browser on their mobile devices and didn’t care about the business productivity features; this market segment was buying smart phones and finding it overwhelming. So Apple decides to create a product for this segment, a device that does a few things really really well through a simple to navigate user interface on a cool looking form factor.

Traditionally manufacturers have tried to solve the music+phone convergence problem by adding some music player buttons, but Apple has really blended it in with the phone. Then again the technology components that make this a hyped gadget are not new or innovative, what is innovative and revolutionary is the packaging – choosing the right set of features and blending them together; something that Apple does well. Then there is the traditional Apple advertising that shows the gadget in all its glory and handing the review units to the main stream media (as opposed to bloggers), that has really propelled the hype into a different realm.

So the question is, are you in line for one? I know I am not and I won’t till they open up the phone to third party applications and developers; till they add better corporate email support; till they add more personalization options; till they put a SIM card tray on this sealed unit. Apple has done an amazing job designing a mobile phone keeping the (iPod) masses in the mind, but I am not in that segment. That said, I do strongly feel that it is time for other manufacturers to pay attention to what Apple is doing and pay attention to their consumers instead of paying attention to the carriers and their demands.

Update: According to the user manual (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf) [PDF] it has been confirmed that this GSM phone will after all have a SIM card tray. Thanks to our reader, vincenzosi, for pointing this out.

trolane
06-29-2007, 03:18 PM
for $500 and not even 30gb of storage? No. while people been to lazy to add hard drives to smart phones it needs to happen. i personally have 27gb of music to port around and use creative zen, zune will be my next player. Would much rather have it on my blackjack type device and a bigger battery.

Itunes? No thanks.

Touch screen aka, grease screen? no, already bad enough face juice gets on screens nevermind fingers. talk about unfriendly phone when eating.
can buy a laptop for a little more than 500 and get way more features.

Jason Dunn
06-29-2007, 03:46 PM
The iPhone is lacking a lot of features that would make it useful to people like us, but the big screen, the multi-touch interface, the way it works with photos and videos, the coverflow interface, the simple UI...all of those things add up to a very interesting consumer device.

What I wonder about is the size: because it has a touch screen, you pretty much need to carry it in some sort of case. Most people I know don't use cases for their phones because it makes them too big. Sure, there are some hip-holsters out there for Blackberries and whatnot, but Joe Average consumer tends to want his phone to be as small as possible. Will the iPhone be too big for most people?

vincenzosi
06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't get it Kris.

What do you want out of the "corporate e-mail" that it can't do?

And there is a SIM slot. It's at the top of the unit.

Jaxbulls
06-29-2007, 04:17 PM
As a longtime Windows Mobile user going back to the iPaq 3600 and now to my Motorola Q I can't wait to switch to the iPhone. Why most phones are still coming with 64mb of memory is beyond me when it doesnt cost much at all to put at least 512mb in there.
The interface is revolutionary no matter what anyone says if it works as advertised...I know that is a big if.
Simply put most everyone I know shouts curses more than praises at their phones and I think this is going to start changing that. I'm a power user myself and there are some features I'm gonna be wishing it had that my Q or other phones may have. But hands down I've never thought of waiting in line for a product until today.

Jason, Mossberg and some of the others said they carried their phones in their pockets with keys and in briefcases and it has been resistant to scratching so if I get one there will be no case for me. When I first switched the Q from some cheap little LG phone it took a while for me to get used to the size and the iPhone is almost exactly the same in dimensions to the Q. So I think people will be taken aback by the size but they'll get over it.

Lastly, I've watched the look on people's faces as they watch the iPhone commercials. People are amazed. My almost 50-year-old mother that hates computers wants one. Think about it, when was the last time a phone was ever advertised solely by the user interface? Most phones have scenes in big cities with young people of all races walking while taking a phone call and listening to music...none of them show actually how the phone works.

chrisspera
06-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Like Kris, I am going to be waiting on this one until the price drops, and things get more baked. I don't think its going to fit for me right now, though I do want to put my hands on one...

bitbank
06-29-2007, 06:25 PM
I am in the camp which views this as another expensive piece of Apple hardware that falls short on technology and usefulness. The problem is that any of the "converted" who buy one will be unlikely to critically assess it since they spent so much money on it.

I've owned touchscreen phones and they are definitely a step backwards. The first such phone was the old HTC Space Needle. A horrible device with many things in common with the iPhone: large, fragile display, non-replaceable battery, two-handed operation.

There is a lot to be said for operating your phone with a single hand. I think Apple needed to be "different", but in this case different means worse. Not being one to be left behind, HTC hoisted a similar product onto the market. Ill conceived and destined for novelty status. The HTC Touch is certainly attractive for a Pocket PC, but I would never use it as my wireless phone.

Touchscreen devices have been around for enough time that if it was good to use for a phone, then the majority of phones would already include one.

L.B.

randalllewis
06-29-2007, 07:27 PM
First, Mossberg has never found a product with an Apple logo on it that he didn't fall in love with, so his comments are taken with a large dose of salt.

Second, the iPhone is very attractive yet it seems torn between two sets of users. For that price, it is not a consumer friendly product and more of a prosumer/business item yet the interface and smooth handling of photos and music are clearly aimed at consumers. Maybe Apple will brdige the two worlds. It is possible.

Third, my employer won't install an Exchange server because they've already invested in a Blackberry server and don't want to bother. So they tried to stick me with a Blackberry phone. I used it for four months and couldn't wait to ditch it at my first opportunity. The Blackberry UI for phone use just plain sucks. From the reviews and comments I've read, the iPhone suffers from this well. Maybe it is not as bad as the Blackberry, and I haven't seen one so I am going by the comments of those who claim they have. But my point is: a cell phone should always be a good phone FIRST. No matter how many things the iPhone can do and how cooly (is that a word?) it does them, if it doesn't work well as a phone, it won't do well over the long term.

Fourth, and related to the above is the decision to stick with ATT exclusively. In the Puget Sound area of Washington, ATT is a pretty good system and I have access to the high speed data network at least 90 percent of the time. I know there are vast parts of the country that ATT does poorly, so this would also seem to limit the iPhone's appeal.

And finally, Apple fans won't mind because they like the kool aid, but I find it amusing that so few of the reviews of the iPhone make note that you are still tied to iTunes for purcahsed music, and now tied to Apple for all your software as well. I don't want Apple telling me what software to use and where to buy my music anymore than I want Microsoft making me use WMP or IE if I don't want to.

So for all these reasons I won't own an iPhone. I am now using the best cell phone I've ever used- the Blackjack.

Rocco Augusto
06-29-2007, 07:38 PM
After getting to play with an iPhone a few hours ago for about 45 seconds, I have learned several things.

a) Typing on the iPhone is like trying to breathe underwater, it is ridiculous
b) It was a fair bit slower than it appears in commercials

All in all, while pretty, I was nowhere near impressed

Birdsoft
06-29-2007, 07:49 PM
I am curious to see...

* Real reviews from people not hand-picked by Apple.
* The Rate of Return on these in a couple weeks once people realize that ALL those flaws we have all pointed out, can't all be glossed over in real world use.
* The surprise of users when they figure out their already expensive $500 phone, not only costs $2000-$2500 with contract(we all realize this, but most consumers wont), but they are stuck in the Apple money pit for hundreds to thousands more being charged thru iTunes for Songs, Videos, and probably applications and even ringtones. Oh yeah, and most of the plugs are propietary so even a lot of regular iPod accessories wont work, Cha-ching... And then charge you to switch out your battery about twice during your 2 year contract.... Smart move Apple, making people activate their phone using iTunes....
* Just how well it does sell after the initial rush...

Its interface is pretty though... :)

Rocco Augusto
06-29-2007, 08:57 PM
* Just how well it does sell after the initial rush...

I think Apple is worried about this as well, which is why some of my friends that work at AT&T think this is the reason the device is being released on a Friday, after the stock market closes.

From what I was told, no device will be allowed to leave the store either without kind of firmware update... I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing :worried:

subzerohf
06-29-2007, 11:27 PM
I am just wondering...for people who already have an iPod with a 80G hard-drive and a descent cell phone, would they still get an iPhone? Do they just throw away the iPod and phone? 'Cause I think a lot of peple are in this category.

Kris Kumar
06-29-2007, 11:55 PM
I am just wondering...for people who already have an iPod with a 80G hard-drive and a descent cell phone, would they still get an iPhone? Do they just throw away the iPod and phone? 'Cause I think a lot of peple are in this category.

I would think that lot of people will not have an iPod. And Apple was smart, they saw the writing on the wall - convergence is coming better get in before others grab a share. They are lucky coz everyone else thought that a music phone is just a phone with some extra music buttons. And of course no marketing.

Kris Kumar
06-30-2007, 12:25 AM
I don't get it Kris.

What do you want out of the "corporate e-mail" that it can't do?

And there is a SIM slot. It's at the top of the unit.

Corporate email = Exchange (not thru IMAP, like Apple wants us to use it), Good, BlackBerry

According to Walt, there is no SIM slot. The SIM card is sealed inside the unit. The phone is physically and software locked to AT&T.

Rocco Augusto
06-30-2007, 12:29 AM
According to Walt, there is no SIM slot. The SIM card is sealed inside the unit. The phone is physically and software locked to AT&T.

That's lame, what happens if your SIM car gets fried? What happens if you need your number changed on AT&T? (which requires a new SIM)

there are a million reasons that a user would need to change the SIM card so i could not understand why they would make it inaccessible. totally lame!

Kris Kumar
06-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Think about it, when was the last time a phone was ever advertised solely by the user interface? Most phones have scenes in big cities with young people of all races walking while taking a phone call and listening to music...none of them show actually how the phone works.

A very very good point. Phones have been advertised as accessories. The carriers have cared more about advertising the network. Even the BlackJack ads are vague on the capability. Apple has managed to beautifully convey the utility of this $500 device. No models in short skirts. No teens. Just the phone.

And the interesting thing is that they show the NYTimes.com Web page, probably the most complex Web page to render. Well done Apple.

Kris Kumar
06-30-2007, 12:41 AM
I am in the camp which views this as another expensive piece of Apple hardware that falls short on technology and usefulness.

I think it is high on technology. But definitely low on usefulness. I was amazed when I read somewhere that it has 700MB worth of OS. That's a lot of OS. But really sad that it doesn't do some really basic things like using Bluetooth to hook up to a GPS sensor or search names in the address book.

Touchscreen devices have been around for enough time that if it was good to use for a phone, then the majority of phones would already include one.

I believe that is true. Nokia seems to think that way too. Let's see if Apple's multi-touch twist and the hype machine carries this thru.

Kris Kumar
06-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Something that is not mentioned in the ads. Well average consumer does not care about it.

"It only works with AT&T (formerly Cingular), won’t come in models that use Verizon or Sprint and can’t use the digital cards (called SIM cards) that would allow it to run on T-Mobile’s network. So, the phone can be a poor choice unless you are in areas where AT&T’s coverage is good. It does work overseas, but only via an AT&T roaming plan."

http://solution.allthingsd.com/20070626/the-iphone-is-breakthrough-handheld-computer/

I am a GSM user and AT&T customer because of the little chip called SIM card. This phone in question breaks the GSM advantage. It will definitely help AT&T keep the phones on its network.

Kris Kumar
06-30-2007, 02:07 AM
I am confused. I am looking at Apple's manual and it has SIM card tray on it and talks about removing the SIM card. But Walt says we can't use SIM cards. :?

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

vincenzosi
06-30-2007, 02:59 AM
Apple and MS seem to have partnered on Mobile Exchange for the iPhone. I know it's just a rumor, but hey... It's another "dealbreaker" that seems to have been addressed.

http://www.myitablet.com/apple-licensed-microsoft-exchange-for-iphone-for-real-26952.php

And Walt is undoubtedly wrong. Mine has a nice little paper-clip accessible sim slot right on the top of it.

Just sayin'.

Kris Kumar
06-30-2007, 03:12 AM
I did hear about the rumour. Let's hope that it is true. It will move a lot of business users on to the Apple side of the fence. I am hoping that the deal will enable the contacts, calendar and email to sync with Exchange. Not just email.

So how is the new toy. What is the experience like?

Even though features are missing, has Apple delivered on what it claimed?

John Cody
06-30-2007, 03:51 AM
OK,

I just purchased an 8GB iPhone...

I am trying to get it activated - apparently my existing Cingular account is a business account and Itunes says it can not activate the iphone for a business account.

So, things I noticed:

1) It's not as wide as my dash by a tad, but it's taller by a tad then my dash, and is thinner then the dash.

2) The SIM card from the iPhone does seems to work fine in my Dash.

3) I heard the sales rep say that the iphone can't read any SIM phone numbers - you will have to re-add all your contacts into the iphone.

4) The iphone doesn't see to be able to record video.

5) I thought I read somewhere that the iphone does support AD2P bluetooth audio, but earlier in this thread is says it can't. When I can get my iphone activated, I will try to use my Motorola S9 bluetooth stereo headset with it.

6) The iphone comes with a docking pad and a USB charger/sync cable, and it comes with an AC adpater that has a USB on it - so you don't need an extra AC adapter (which the sale rep might try to talk you into).

7) The battery is sealed, so I wonder when and how it can be replaced when it starts to not take a charge.

8) You definetely want to get the 8GB unit like I did...$100 extra to double the memory is a non-brainer - especially since it seems there is no memory slot to expand it.

Kris Kumar
06-30-2007, 04:05 AM
It ships with a dock! I had totally forgotten what a dock is all about. Why don't WinMo phones come with a dock? :(

Regarding the sealed battery, that is another gripe. I don't want to pay Apple to replace the battery and also have no phone with me while it is getting the replacement. With iPod it is okay, but a phone. I have seen some photos of the dismantled unit, it seems it has a regular brick shaped battery; they did not put a battery with a specially molded shape in it.

subzerohf
06-30-2007, 04:46 AM
A dock is nice.... :onfire: One thing I don't particularly like about the BJ is the connector and its notoriously flimsy cover. Why can't they put the connector on the bottom like the iPod and iPhone?

BTW, has anyone seen the calendar/appointment app on the iPhone? How does it compare to AgendaOne or Papyrus?

igreen
06-30-2007, 05:32 AM
The calender app pales in comparison to Agenda One. First iit is JUST a calender app. No todo's. It has a day view and month view...no week view. I have a HTC/Cingular 8525 and frankly as the wow factor of the iPhone's graphics/UI is wearing off...the 8525 is winning out.

igreen
06-30-2007, 05:33 AM
Oh I should make it clear. I have a HTC 8525 AND an iPhone.

vincenzosi
06-30-2007, 06:32 AM
In fairness, they aren't aimed at the same markets.

Kris Kumar
06-30-2007, 06:39 AM
In fairness, they aren't aimed at the same markets.

I agree. Unfortunately the media and a lot of people don't get that.

Microsoft started with the business segment because they have more cash to spend. And Microsoft is slowly coming towards the consumer market.

Apple decided to start at the (high-end) consumer segment. It will be interesting to see what features they bring out to bridge the feature/expandability gap with WinMo. The OS X foundation gives Apple a big edge, if I were Microsoft/Nokia/BlackBerry I would be very scared.

Jerry Raia
06-30-2007, 05:36 PM
If it isn't aimed at the business segment, then they priced it too high.

Kris Kumar
06-30-2007, 06:54 PM

If you remember your favourite RAZR was priced at the same level at launch time and people went crazy. This is more of a phone than that. Wait till the pink version comes out, they will have the long lines again.

Jerry Raia
06-30-2007, 07:00 PM

If you remember your favourite RAZR was priced at the same level at launch time and people went crazy. This is more of a phone than that. Wait till the pink version comes out, they will have the long lines again.

True, but this thing doesn't even work with a cheap data plan. The monthly tab is a bit high for pretty looks.

Kris Kumar
06-30-2007, 07:29 PM
True, but this thing doesn't even work with a cheap data plan. The monthly tab is a bit high for pretty looks.

That is what surprises me, the people in line do they realize that they are paying $20 more or so for the data that they never used to have on their previous phone or cared for. I have met a lot of people who ask me what I am paying for my phone and they shiver. Then I tell them that I have data as well, and the response is always why do you want Internet access. But Apple has definitely made the experience pretty slick, then again its Edge. The true test will be the coming months. CNBC was talking about it, couple of (wise) analysts mentioned that first few days the hype machine would carry the product thru. And the fact that the phones are still not sold out is also a good indication (though Apple may have had a huge batch).

The other thing I have realized is that Apple makes you activate the phone thru iTunes. Now that is smart strategy. They say it is to prevent hold at the AT&T stores and to let people select the plans in a non-pressure environment. Baah! I think it is to make sure all iPhones are setup with iTunes from day one otherwise most will only use it only as a regular phone. Then show some song advertisements, pressure then into buying songs, maybe some video. Think RealPlayer. :evil: Suddenly I like my no-pressure ActiveStink even more.

Kris Kumar
07-01-2007, 03:02 AM
I stopped at the local mall's Apple store. I was impressed that they had over 10 units on display for people to play with, not just dummy phones. It was powered, connected to the AT&T network and also WiFi. I could make calls, surf the Net. That experience at the store itself can sell units. Usually when you walk into a cellular store, you have dummy units and you cannot play with it. You have to take one home and figure it out on your own. :evil:

Regarding the unit - overall comment - it is a "revolutionary browser and iPod." It definitely has the computer guts which is well hidden. Works well for consumers, but not for power users. It has a slick-fluid interface, which is responsive. The touch experience takes a bit getting used to and there can be false clicks or no clicks. I can see why Meredith on the Today Show had problem answering the call. It could be a bug also. In fact the first unit that I picked up was frozen, I was wondering why the guy in front of me was not changing the screen, when I picked it up I realized why. Believe it or not (luckily) I knew how to reset the unit. 8) I am sure the store folks would have helped me out. Overall it does seem like there are some UI bugs here and there, but they would be hopefully fixed.

Browser: Is the best part. I was simply amazed at the rendering. On WiFi it was pretty good. I would say faster than pIE. :-( Its ability to render the pages in its true glory is indeed impressive for that formfactor. I think UMPC's should feel threatened. Especially Nokia's tablet browser thing a majig. While using Google maps, the browser choked and died. But the ability to have multiple tabs or pages is great. The pinch works pretty well. And yes it is slow as anything else on EDGE.

iPod: Cover flow is a vee-bit slow to load but once on, it is smooth. I am not much of a music person, so didn't play much. But still pretty neat from an eye-candy perspective.

Camera and its App: The camera browser is neat, works like advertised. I could see that the photo I took was grainy but that was store lighting. I would not expect much from camera anyway.

Phone: The most cumbersome, no smart filter. The dial pad is not visible always. But is pretty and pretty user friendly.

Keyboard: The landscape layout works the best. The vertical layout is tough. I spent close to 5 minutes and was getting a hang. The trick is to experiment with how you touch. Thumb typing is tricky but do-able. But I am sure it will be slow. Error correction is good.

Overall I think Apple has delivered on what they claim. Is it worth the hype? It is a unique product. The price makes it even more unique. I can see that the browser technology will put pressure on BB, Microsoft, Nokia to innovate and improve. I "cannot" think of switching to it. This is because it does not handle Exchange server, it is not extensible, it cannot be personalized. The apps on it cannot be replaced for powerful version. Overall Apple has the unit locked down. I don't want to use a device where someone else decides what is good for me. Apple does what the claim pretty well. But there are gaps and opportunity to improve. I can see ordinary phone user who want music and browser switching to it, if they have money. But not me. That said, I would want Microsoft to get their act together for the next WinMo release and improve:
- user interface, make it responsive and fluid
- browser (I am seriously in love with the browser on Apple's product)
- music player
- overall ease of use, better graphics and hiding the menu items that maybe few people use (remember how Office hid menus, it was annoying but might work on the phone where the screen real estate is precious. also non-power-users will not be intimidated.)

I think Apple just created a smart phone for consumer segment. While BB, Microsoft, Palm are in the enterprise and power user segment.

aristoBrat
07-02-2007, 07:25 PM
iPhone unlimited data + 200 SMS works out to $20.00/month. Other than Sprints $15 plan, is there another unlimited data plan that's less expensive?