View Full Version : AT&T's New Video Share Service and WM6: Coming to Blackjack This Summer?

Rocco Augusto
06-24-2007, 10:28 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/rumors/atts_new_video_share_service_a.html' target='_blank'>http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/rumors/atts_new_video_share_service_a.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In World of Warcraft (yes, I play), whenever you gain a new level you often get a whole slew of new abilities - your avatar can do more than it could before. When that happens, the standard thing to yell is "Ding W00T!" Well folks, this summer I think the Samsung Blackjack will be calling out Ding W00T! When I loaded the hacked Windows Mobile 6 ROM on there, I noticed something very, very odd. There was a new setting and a hidden application that kept loading itself in the background no matter what I was able to do, and it was called "Video Share." So today Mobility site points us to an AT&amp;T announcement that this summer they'll be rolling out a real-time video sharing service..."</i><br /><br />Real-time video sharing? That sounds exciting! Almost as exciting as leveling up in World of Warcraft. ;) I wonder how AT&amp;T is going to pull off this video sharing service? If they plan on making the videos out of the same shoddy Real Video codec that is used for their <i>Cellular Video</i> service, than I think I might have to pass on that one. While Cellular Video looks great on AT&amp;T's feature phone lineup, the same cannot be said for their Windows Mobile devices which usually have screens resolutions that are a lot larger than size. :(

Mike Temporale
06-25-2007, 01:23 PM
That sounds like a really cool service. It's times like this that I wish Canada had carriers that actually cared about the customer and what the customer wanted to do with their device - instead of just bleeding us dry. :?

dstrauss
06-25-2007, 02:24 PM
That sounds like a really cool service. It's times like this that I wish Canada had carriers that actually cared about the customer and what the customer wanted to do with their device - instead of just bleeding us dry. :?

Wipe those tears from your eyes - U.S. carriers just have more inventive, but no less "inferior" ways of bleeding you dry. Even with 3G, this kind of streaming will drag attimes, and is a non-starter for EDGE only areas; but you can bet there will be a nice premium for the effect.

Besides, how good can this really be when AT&amp;T/Cingular has banned front facing cameras on all the phones from HTC, Samsung, etc? If you're talking about taking a video and "sharing" in some method other than an email, how is that real-time?

snap
06-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Just to clarify, AT&amp;T Video Share offers a one-way, live video stream. In other words, you can share the video you are taking with another phone in real-time (show what you see). During this session, there is two-way audio, so the two people can talk at the same time while sharing video. The callers can switch the direction of the video stream too with a few button presses.

Demo: http://www.attvideoshare.com/

Two way videoconferencing would be a bit neater, but that requires the front facing cameras perhaps. It will also be cool when you can video share to another non-phone device.

For now though, it's a nice step forward technology-wise in North America.