View Full Version : Sync dies w/critical error: Vista, WM 5.0, Cingular 3125, Outlook 2007

nycsmartphone
06-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Several times a week the synchronization between my Cingular 3125 Windows Mobile 5.0 phone and Vista's Windows Mobile Device Center gets a critical error. I need to cycle through several screens on the phone pressing "sync" and "OK" going through several screens of error messages about critical errors, then reliably the phone syncs again. I lose the settings for syncing several of my Outlook mail folders and they need to be setup again once the sync is reset and behaving normally again. These errors can also be viewed in Vista's sync center. I do not lose any data except for the contents of the Outlook sync'd email folders.

This phone sync'd flawlessly always, every time, never failed, always, flawlessly with Windows XP.

I cannot see any pattern to the failure except that it happens during the first sync when the phone is connected to the computer either when I start the computer and connect the phone for the first time that day or if I am away from the running computer and reconnect the phone. Once that first sync is successful there will not be another failure until the phone is disconnected and reconnected. I would have to put the failure rate at about 10% of connections. I feel that Outlook for some reason is not responding to the sync and screws up the phone leaving it unable to recover without my intervention but I have no way of knowing this for sure, it’s just a hunch.

I am using Vista Ultimate with all updates, Outlook 2007 and the latest WMDC. The phone has the latest firmware update as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mike Temporale
06-23-2007, 03:07 AM
I wish I had a solution for you. Unfortunately, this is becoming more of a standard expereince with WMDC. :( I have problems all the time and sometimes all I have to do is diconnect and then reconnect. Other times I end up rebooting both devices. Eventually it works again. Pretty sad actually.

nycsmartphone
06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Having to watch the sync each time to make sure it completes is frustrating when in the past with XP I never gave it a second thought. I've already walked out without some important email I thought was on my phone but was not because of a bad sync.

Maybe Windows Mobile 6.0 will be better? I really like my phone, I am partial to flip phones. Based on the conversations here I am not expecting an upgrade to 6.0 for my phone so I need to wait for a 6.0 flip phone to come out.

Mike Temporale
06-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Sadly, WinMo6 is no better. The other solution is to try a third party sync tool like Laplink.

I fully understand your pain. I've done the same thing a couple times.

la8pv
07-03-2007, 03:36 AM
Sadly, WinMo6 is no better. The other solution is to try a third party sync tool like Laplink.

I fully understand your pain. I've done the same thing a couple times.

I wasn't even aware tha good old LapLink (used them a lot as a PC/Network tech 14 years ago) did WM5 syncing..!

Anyone have much experience with this software?

Thx,
-e

Mike Temporale
07-03-2007, 07:43 PM
It's on my list to try out - but I haven't got to it yet. I think the app itself is called PDASync. From what I've heard, it's pretty good.

la8pv
07-03-2007, 07:50 PM
It's on my list to try out - but I haven't got to it yet. I think the app itself is called PDASync. From what I've heard, it's pretty good.

Thanks!

If I can only figure out how to get past the "USB Device not recognized" when I plug my 2125 into my Vista laptop, I'll give PDASync a try myself...

Thx

-e