View Full Version : Blackberry vs WM - opinions

bshpmark
06-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Just out of curiosity I have been considering pickiing up a used Blackberry and trying it on an extra line I have on my family plan. I also have a Dash on my primary line.

I was wondering if those of you who have used both the Blackberry and a Windows Mobile Smartphone could comment on one versus the other and why you prefer one over the other. I understand about the lack of applications for the Blackberry when compared to the Windows device. And it doesn't bother me that I have to check email every 10 minutes under WM6 as opposed to getting it delivered immediately with the Blackberry. So other than those two issues, any thoughts?

subzerohf
06-11-2007, 08:25 PM
These are the reasons I did not go with a Blackberry :

1. Blackberry plans are usually more expensive than regular data plans. You should do the math before committing.
2. User interface is awkward. There are no soft-buttons. There are no directional d-pad. Everything you do in BB you have to use the scroll-wheel through a list of items. (the Pearl and the Curve come with a track-ball, which is nice). It depends on your preference of the scroll-wheel. Some people crave it, I hate it.
3. The number one show stopper - there is no camera (unless it is the Pearl or the Curve). They say it is good for corporate privacy. But every cell phone nowadays comes with a camera. Do corporates ban cellphones outright? :?

galatians51
06-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I have had Blackberrys and WM devices. I think they are both excellent devices. The Blackberry OS seems extremely stable, the email and browser are way better than WM. I work in a secure environment where cameras are considered a breach of security, so the Blackberry comes with me into the plant.
Blackberry syncs Notes from Outlook, and honestly the calendar functions are just so easy to use I wonder why WM is so dependent on third party apps to give the functionality that the BB does right out of the box.
WM has way better multimedia than the BB.
On Tmobile the BB data plans are 10 bucks cheaper per month than the WM plans.
I would try out a BB and see how you like it, what harm if you can afford it?

bshpmark
06-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, I purchased a used 8700g on eBay and am trying it out on my T-Mobile account. Here are my thoughts so far compared with using my Dash and WM.

I definitely prefer the browser on WM. It is much faster.

I thought I would get instant email on the BB but in reality it only checks every 15 minutes since I am not using an exchange server. Did not know that until after I got the BB. My Dash checks every 10 minutes.

I like the brightness of the BB display much better than the Dash.

The BB syncs with my PC much faster than the Dash under WM6. I like the BB Desktop Manager much better than Activesync.

The speakerphone and regular speaker on the BB are 200% better than the Dash. I can actually hear folks on the BB speakerphone without straining to hear when I am driving down the road. And with the volume controlled by the trackwheel on the BB I don't get that annoying beep beep beep like I do on the Dash when I constantly hit the slider by accident.

Received email format is better on the Dash than on the BB especially when someone sends something in html format. On the BB I get all the html code which is rather annoying.

A new Pearl is coming out soon with Wi-Fi and a 3.2MP camera and I may have to seriously consider that though.