View Full Version : Are Smartphones Losing Their "Wow!" Factor?

Pete Paxton
06-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Have you noticed lately that the creativeness in smartphone designs and functions is losing ground? As I think about the new touch screen devices such as the HTC TouchFlo, the LG Prada, and the iPhone, the one thing they all have in common is that they are breaking new ground in innovative technology. But what about Windows Mobile smartphones? We have the Vox, Blackjack, Q, and the Dash. The Dash (which I own) is nearly eight months old and is still considered the latest in technology for smartphones. At the time I bought it, the Dash was considered one of the coolest new devices available. Now it seems that the specs on these devices are getting old and boring. Looking into the future, I don't see any new devices coming that make me say "wow!". So I'd like to hear from you. Considering that smartphones are non-touch screen devices, what new designs or functions can be added that would make us think "wow!". What would you add, what would you take away, or would you leave things just the way they are?

charleswmstewart
06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
The iMate Ultimate series has the potential of really kicking WM6 devices up a notch.

SteveHoward999
06-08-2007, 06:34 PM
I've never been excited by SmartPhone ... I always felt it was second best to touch-screen versions. I'm happy to see more innovation in the touchscreen devices.

Mark Larson
06-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Smartphones are very much the red-headed step-child of the Windows Mobile world. They get all the hand-me-downs from their Pocket PC brethren.

I don't like how everyone is going to QWERTY keyboards and making devices wider or fatter. I want a slim, 10-12mm candybar phone with a regular keypad and 3G (EV-DO). Don't care about wifi. Or a flip that's not ugly like the Star Trek.

Prosper
06-08-2007, 06:54 PM
We need more RAM, more processor power, and more battery power. Everything else like WiFi, 3G and such has to be related to the phone. But the things I mentioned are generally related to Smartphones.

whydidnt
06-08-2007, 07:28 PM
It's time for one of the manufactures to really up the ante. Why not something that is more media centric. How about a blackjack with 8 GB of flash embedded, so it could compete with the iPhone? I'd love to see a flip phone like the Motorola A260 with a number bad one the outside of the flip that you use when dialing, but inside include a thumb board for data entry, with a 240 320 screen above the board. Oh yea, you could see that screen through a window above the number pad.

How about something along the lines of BB pearl. The same size as a standard mobile, with lot's of goodness packed in to go with a small combined letter thumboard? My 15 year old daughter has been asking for one of these, and she's NOT a geek, just likes the looks and easier text messaging capabilities. I think she's a good barometer of the 15-25 year old demographic that could easily be targeted with a similar device.

I wish they would also provide support for touch applications. Let's be serious here, nobody is making windows "classic" device anymore. Why not just have Windows Mobile that allows for a touch screen and provides the same functionality across the entire line. I can't believe one is that much more expensive than the other.

All-in-All I really hope the iPhone is a big success and it pushed MS and it's partners to start innovating again. The HTC touch is a joke, it's simply a front end program with big icons so you can use your fingers. Once you start using most apps the touch interface is gone.

TopDog
06-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I have two phones, Qtek 8500 (HTC StrTrk) and the new HTC S710 (HTC Vox).

I think the StrTrk still is one of the best phones out there, and I don't think it's ugly at all! To bad WM6 will not be available as an upgrade.

But I have to say I love the QWERTY keyboard on the Vox, and I think it is really inovative when talking about design 8)

Now if it only had a stronger CPU, UTMS and GPS... that would be a really inovative phone!

applejosh
06-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I like my Q (more so than previous PPC and PPC phone devices) because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles and other things that break. It just works (usually - I have a problem charging every now and then). At my last place of employment we got the XV6700 and it seems like I had to reset/reboot that thing at least 3 times a day (usually more like 10). I rarely have to do the like on the Q, and I have close to the same apps on it. I just think about the iPhone users who will be SOL when they sit on their screen, etc. They couldn't dial, etc.

IMHO, the Smartphone (or WM6 Standard) is a nice compromise that doesn't get in the way of what I consider its primary purpose - to be a phone. (Although it would be nice to have wifi at times.)

subzerohf
06-08-2007, 08:09 PM
What about the competitions? Were you wow'ed by any of the new Blackberries, Nokia Symbian phones, Treos, lately?? Which one and why?

(I admit that I laid my eyes on the Curve once or twice more than I anticipated :wink: )

chucky.egg
06-08-2007, 08:12 PM
I've been back and forward between PPC and Smartphone for ages (a lot of us have I expect). I want the functions of the PPC, but the phone in the Smartphone.

For me, right now, my Blackjack (I600) is about perfect. Well, the battery could be better, but...

I don't need all the bells and whistles (I might want them, but I don't need them). My Smartphone is a tool to do a job, and it fits the needs I have.

applejosh
06-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Kind of funny (at least to me) that the ad at the top of the page when I viewed it was for the Blackberry 8830 (Verizon's attempt at a world phone). I admit, when I was setting one up for someone, it felt pretty good in my hand. But I really didn't like the trackball. (And the BIS service is junk at the moment. It keeps disablng itself. Exchange ActiveSync is actually much much better in my case.)

michaelp
06-08-2007, 08:55 PM
(I admit that I laid my eyes on the Curve once or twice more than I anticipated )

I've also been eyeing the Curve. It's a pretty little phone with a nice keyboard.

Here are my biggest problems with recent WM Smartphones:

First, I love qwerty, but most of the new smartphones have cramped keyboards unlike the beautiful BB keyboards.

Second, I need some real storage--not this 2 gb micro/miniSD cap (more like crap). It frustrates me that none of the current batch of WM devices, with the exception of the Trinity, can even do SDHC.

Third, what is taking those 400 mhz processor phones so long to get out? The 200ish mhz omaps are fine and all, but power users need more. Skype is lame on my SDA.

Fourth, this is more geared at AT&T and T-Mobile, but where is my 3G? AT&T has it in some big cities, but that doesn't do me any good. And I don't even want to talk about T-Mobile...

Basically, I am wanting a smartphone with at least 8 gb of storage (whether by card or built in), a good qwerty keyboard, great screen, WiMax (forget this other stuff that is taking forever; just jump ahead to 4G), and a good processor. It's sad that my SDA's processor is 9 Mhz less than my old, bricked Jornada 568. Yes, I know it is much more highly optimized and efficient, but I need some power.

Stinger
06-08-2007, 09:27 PM
My contract was up quite recently and I had the choice between the Nokia N95 (the best non-Windows Mobile smartphone) and the HTC Vox (the best Windows Mobile Smartphone).

I chose the the Nokia N95.

Why? It's got HSDPA, a 5MP camera with auto focus, a very big screen, a 3.5mm headphone socket, mass storage mode support, Apple iSync support and built-in GPS. Unfortunately, it was a total no-brainer.

Windows Mobile has some great features, but the (HTC) hardware is often lacking. The cameras are below average, even for non-smartphones, and 3G is almost unheard of.

scottb
06-08-2007, 09:35 PM
...Basically, I am wanting a smartphone with at least 8 gb of storage (whether by card or built in), a good qwerty keyboard, great screen...
Wow! I can't imagine what I would put on my Q that would take up 8 Gb. I have a 512 Mb storage card and it's not even full.

I like the convenience of a QWERTY keyboard, but like some others I would love to see a great candybar Smatphone with a phone keypad. That would make for a smaller device with bigger keys.

encece
06-08-2007, 10:37 PM
I thought the Touch should have been a Smartphone OS device. It would have suited it perfectly.

More built in memory would allow for more music.

You need to remember that more features means bigger phones than you have today. Smartphone OS sized phones are SMALL like phones. Larger phones like PPCs will tend to have more features built in and more comfortable keyboards.

The Blackjack is fine for me at the moment...CHUCKY.EGG...get a blackjack extended battery and you'll have no problems. (assuming it fits into the i600 with the same extended battety cover.

As far as what I'd like to see as WOW...a true multitouch like the iPhone would be nice. GPS in a smartphone would be nice too as long as the battery life allowed for it.

How about a Bluetooth watch that shows the same info or more as the STRTRK (Cingular 3135) shows?

But for me...one of the reasons I like Smartphones over PPCs is size. Give me a totally keyboardless Smartphone with multitouch screen and GPS..and 4MP camera....that would do it for me! Imaging the iPhone but half the size and running WIndows Mobile. Perfect.

modgnik
06-09-2007, 01:07 AM
The iMate Ultimate series has the potential of really kicking WM6 devices up a notch.
I agree. I'm waiting on the imate Ultimate 8150, unfortunately delayed till Sept apparently due to manufacturing problems. (see msmobiles.com)
Its OS is WM6 Pro but its form factor is candybar smartphone.
Anyone interested can check out the awesome specs on www.pdadb.net
For flip phone enthusiasts there is the 9150 with the same specs.

Pete Paxton
06-09-2007, 02:20 AM
As stated earlier and according to this: http://www.clubimate.com/ultimate/ - all of the i-mate Ultimates are touch screen WM6 Professional. Are there any new WM6 standard devices to wow us?

bshpmark
06-09-2007, 02:41 AM
I would like 4gig or more storage built into the phone plus the ability to add the same with a memory card. Second, I would like an operating system such as Wondows Mobile that did not make me have to reboot my phone (Dash) two or three times a day because the phone locks up, loses time, won't connect to the Internet, etc.

I would also like a SMART phone that allows me to totally customize the phone the way I want it to work for me. Let me configure what I want to appear on the menus and in what order without having to hack the registry or buy an additional piece of software.

I would also like a phone that actually cleared up the memory when you closed a program instead of slowly leaking memory.

A 4 Megapixal or higher camera would definitely be nice.

And above all, a battery that actually had a useful talk cycle such as 6-10 hours.

scottb
06-09-2007, 03:16 AM
I would also like a phone that actually cleared up the memory when you closed a program instead of slowly leaking memory...
And above all, a battery that actually had a useful talk cycle such as 6-10 hours.
These are great ideas!

STANUL
06-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I read these coments with interest.
I believe peaople are still looking for a Smartphone in a slim factor with speedy procesor and WiFi....
What do you think abt O2 Graphite?!?

It is 3G, 416MHz processor, 64/128 Ram/Rom, WiFi b,g, Bluetooth, microSD and it comes in a clasic candy bar form. And only 105 grams!!!!

It's true is only triband GSM , so our friends in US may not benefit of this, but I still think it's a great phone....
Hope O2 will isue an upgrade to WM6...

bitbank
06-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I resisted using the smartphone platform for a long time mainly because the lower screen resolution (176x220) and lack of software at the time made it less useful than a PPC. However, phones like the HTC Space Needle (one of the first PPC phones) pushed me over to the smartphone side. I recently got a HTC Vox and for me, it's the best smartphone ever produced. I want my phone to be a one-handed device (no touchscreen/stylus) and be small enough to fit in my pocket.

I don't think recent devices have lost the "wow" factor, but innovation is coming more slowly because phones now come in such a wide selection of sizes and features that people have a good selection to choose from.

L.B.

Rocco Augusto
06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I haven't owned a HTC phone since November and to be honest, I'm happier this way. One of the things that has always annoyed me about HTC is the fact that every new Smartphone (minus the Dash) that they produce is just a recycled version of the Tornado/Faraday.

One of the reasons I love my Blackjack so much is for the simple fact that it was new and refreshing from what I normal had when I was carrying HTC devices. The extra home screens, applications and inclusion of 3G capabilities are still items that are lacking in HTC's current offerings. :(

I'm extraordinarily disappointed in HTC with their recent announcement of the Touch. I was expecting something that would have been at least somewhat new and not so laughable. Minus the gimmicky touch interface, the HTC is a joke.

Personally, I wish Samsung would attempt to make a iPhone killer. Anyone remember there 8GB Smartphone from a few years back? :)

Pete Paxton
06-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Actually my almost perfect device is out there but alas, I can't have it. :twisted: What is it? It's the Asus M530w smartphone that I posted about earlier. It has double the memory of my dash, double the processor speed, looks great, big qwerty keyboard, 3G and WiFi, a 2mp camera, and a front facing camera for video calls (which of course we don't do on mobiles here in the US :? ). But once again it doesn't support the 850 frequency so I'll probably never see one. Why is the US so far behind the mobile times? Do high end devices just not sell well here?

moonshot
06-10-2007, 10:37 PM
The idea of a smartphone is, that it is a phone that is smart, it looks like a phone. Like the Nokia symbian series 60 phones. Once you add 'qwerty' key pads like the Dash, they are on longer smartphones, they are pda/phones.

My perfect device was the c600 candy bar phone @ only 105 grams. I had mine a year last November and have been waiting for something similar to up-grade to, but there has been nothing. The o2 Granite would have been ok if it came with WM6 and was on Orange.

Why did we not just have a c600 with wifi, better camera, more memory etc etc. Or even a Vox without the qwerty pad.

I think I will go for the HTC Touch @ 110 grams; only 5 grams heavier then the c600. If HTC can keep the weight of the Pda/phones down to 110 grams or less then I think this will see the end of the WM 'smartphone'.

bitbank
06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
moonshot:

The T-Mobile SDA is a C600 with wifi. I'm not sure about the better camera part, but there are many variants of that device. I really don't understand why you would want a Vox without the keyboard. With the keyboard retracted it's basically the same size as the C600, plus you have a keyboard when you need it.

L.B.

whydidnt
06-11-2007, 04:12 PM
It would be nice if HTC would use the same brand/name for each of their devices, regardless of carrier or country. It's confusing to follow some of these conversations since I don't have a clue what devices are be discussed. It seems Nokia manages to call name each of their devices the same, with perhaps an i or something added to the end to denote a different market area. Why can't HTC do the same?

Mark Larson
06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Why is the US so far behind the mobile times? Do high end devices just not sell well here?
Companies have to get their phones approved by and picked up by the carriers, but tons of phones are sold unlocked online - if Asus wanted the US market to sample their wares, it would have been as easy as getting a quad band chip and FCC approval.

superrrguy
06-13-2007, 03:34 AM
The last phone I've been wowed by is the Samsung U740 dual hinge phone. I just want usable phone in a clamshell that supports a few 3rd party apps.

I know this is a hardware topic, but I think the software would make the whole experience better.

Where the hell is chat style text messages? I have no idea what a conversation is about my the 4th or 5th message. MS' implementation T9 on keypad phones doesn't let u go back to select another word. U have to delete the entire word and start all over. Also, why can't u set it to delete messages after 30 days.

While browsing favorites in PocketIE u can select a favorite by typing a letter or hitting a # key on keypad phone but in Media Player, it goes back to the beginning of ur list. I know the media player issue has been resolved in version 6.0.

My ideal phone would be a dual hinge flip with Windows Mobile 6 with 4 gigs of memory + memory card expansion and a standard headphone jack, decent camera, and 3g+wifi.

Cooch1000
06-16-2007, 08:30 PM
I'll tell you what. I have been a gadget junkie for a while now, and I started with the HTC Tornado. Loved that phone for a bit, then upgraded to the DASH. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the DASH, however I feel the moderators pain when it comes to its stagnant existence among emerging technologies. I have been scouring the web in search of unlocked GSM or smartphone Windows based devices with something more. So far, the only contender seems to be the HTC Vox, but even IT lacks a few of the additional features that would keep me satisfied until the geeks can develop something explosively new. These are:

1. Built in GPS receiver capability.
2. enhanced JAVA experience or JAVA capabilities similar to those in Motorola
Devices.
3. I do like the design of the Vox, enabling the toggle between candybar usability and conventional phone touchpad with the option for slide-out QWERTY. The size is also pretty nice. But I think that the processor needs an enhancement also.

My ideal Windows Smartphone device would incorporate all the functions of the DASH, Size of the VOX, a little more battery life, WIFI, GPS, Enhanced Camera (2+ megapixels), and JAVA. All without tethering me to a specific carrier. I can live without the touchscreen, but I think a device with a touchscreen that could be disabled would be neat. I am a big fan of Skype also and would like a beefier processor to enhance its usability (I currently run the smartphone version of Skype on my DASH and it is only marginally useful while in a Wifi field - only the chat function is usable in 3G or EDGE).

That would keep me quiet for a little while I'm sure. 8O