View Full Version : T-Mobile Dash and Soti Pocket Controller

_blank
05-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Greetings, I have a T-Mobile Dash recently upgraded to WM6. I've installed SOTI's Pocket Controller that I've used successfully with my previous phone (MDA) but I'm having issues getting the Dash to take keyboard input from my PC(s) correctly.

Specifically, whenever I type into a text field of ANY kind (SMS, Email, IE, Live Search) the device keyboard switches to the numeric/symbol input (12#) mode and the resulting text is the corresponding numbers or symbols.

If I change the input mode on the device to text mode the device does switch, but as soon as I type on the PC keyboard, it reverts back to the numeric/symbol input. I've tried this on several PCs and get the same result.

Any ideas why this happens and how to fix? I've emailed support@soti at the same time, but figured it's be good to have here since my google searches produced 0.

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 03:05 AM
Sounds like Soti hasn't updated their application to support WinMo6. There was a similiar problem when Windows Mobile 5 was released. Not much you can do but wait. :?

_blank
05-24-2007, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the reply Mike. I'm hoping they'll reply tomorrow with something good. I'll post with what they reply.

_ray

Mike Temporale
05-24-2007, 04:09 AM
On the plus side, they were pretty quick at updating when WInMo5 was released. And even working with people to make sure issues got resolved.

Islanti
06-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Sadly this is NOT a WM6 issue. PocketController did this with the Dash and WM5. I contacted SOTI and they said they were aware of the issue and working on it.

Still waiting.

_blank
06-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Sadly this is NOT a WM6 issue. PocketController did this with the Dash and WM5. I contacted SOTI and they said they were aware of the issue and working on it.

Still waiting.

Thanks for the update. I emailed SOTI last week (twice even) and have received no response concerning the issue. When did you contact SOTI and how long did it take for them to respond? Any luck with a workaround?

Islanti
06-05-2007, 01:01 AM

Still waiting.

Thanks for the update. I emailed SOTI last week (twice even) and have received no response concerning the issue. When did you contact SOTI and how long did it take for them to respond? Any luck with a workaround?This was late last year, so I don't remember exactly. I do recall being surprised when I finally got a response (because it had been so long).

_blank
06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Comming up on two weeks since I've emailed with no response. Sounds typical of your experience. I'll sit and wait. Thanks for the reply.

Islanti
06-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Looks like Pocket Controller Pro 6 has been released (http://www.soti.net/default.asp?Cmd=Products&SubCmd=PCPro). I had a free upgrade available. v6.0 is better with the Dash, but it seems like the number / letter keys (WER, SDF, XCV) don't work at all. They just make a "beep" when pressed. :(

Might be a setting somewhere. I'll try to play around some more.

soti
07-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Haider and I am a member of SOTI's support team. I want to give you an update about the above-mentioned problem, hoping that it will be helpful for all Smartphone fans here. :)

Firstly, Pocket Controller-Pro V6 was released last month and supports Windows Mobile 6 devices! As Islanti observed, the problem being discussed here is not a WM6 issue.

Secondly, we have tested Pocket Controller-Pro with Dash-equivalent devices (HTC-S620 / Excalibur) and it works without any problems.

The problem is observed on devices that are running the T-Mobile branded firmware, which is customized for T-Mobile and responds differently to input compared to devices running a standard firmware (with a standard keyboard input driver).

Finally, and very importantly, we take your support inquiries very seriously at SOTI and strive to respond within 2 business days. If you have not received a response to a support query promptly after emailing [email protected], please contact me directly at +1 (888) 624-9828.

Mike Temporale
07-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Hi Haider, Welcome to the site!

Secondly, we have tested Pocket Controller-Pro with Dash-equivalent devices (HTC-S620 / Excalibur) and it works without any problems.

The problem is observed on devices that are running the T-Mobile branded firmware, which is customized for T-Mobile and responds differently to input compared to devices running a standard firmware (with a standard keyboard input driver).

Is there any plans to release a patch or upgrade that will address this?

soti
07-09-2007, 09:00 PM
We strive to make our software compatible with all mobile devices running any Microsoft OS (from Windows CE.NET to WM6). Problems resulting due to a carrier's non-standard customizations make it harder to ensure platform-wide compatibility as in this case. However, we have worked with manufacturers in the past to resolve problems and in this case also, we are aiming for a resolution which will be made available to our customers in the form of a patch or an upgrade.

_blank
07-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the reply Haider - and for the concern about my email inquiry to [email protected]. I still have not received a reply to my email that was sent on the 23rd of May. Until your response to this forum post, I had given up and as a result was not looking to update my license with SOTI as I am not eligible for the latest version. I emailed twice, seeking at least a confirmation. At this point I do not require a response to my support inquiry as you have given me the answer.

Knowing that a fix is in the works I will look for the latest version when it comes out and hope to try the software to verify it will work with my phone (T-Mobile Dash).

BTW, Mike is out in your part of the Province. I suggest taking him out for a pint.

_ray

Mike Temporale
07-10-2007, 02:45 AM
BTW, Mike is out in your part of the Province. I suggest taking him out for a pint.

yeah, Soti is actually pretty close to me out here. :)

soti
07-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Haider - and for the concern about my email inquiry to [email protected]. I still have not received a reply to my email that was sent on the 23rd of May. Until your response to this forum post, I had given up and as a result was not looking to update my license with SOTI as I am not eligible for the latest version.
_ray

I just forwarded the responses sent to you from SOTI's support at the alternate email addresses you provided. It seems like emails from SOTI are being filtered out by your work email servers. Both your emails were responded to, within 48 hours.

Also, our records indicate that you are eligible for the latest version so go right ahead and upgrade. :)

Haider
SOTI Support

_blank
07-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Excellent, I will proceed to beat our Exchange admins until they allow Soti email to go through :) Thanks again!