View Full Version : Microsoft Promises Fix for File Synchronization on Vista's Windows Mobile Device Center

Kris Kumar
05-21-2007, 12:40 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13033' target='_blank'>http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13033</a><br /><br /></div>Recently we had reported that Windows Mobile 6 supports <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,14498">file synchronization.</a> However, this feature is available only for Windows XP - ActiveSync 4.5 users. Users of the latest and greatest Windows operating system, Windows Vista, cannot make use of this awesome Windows Mobile 6 feature. Lot of our readers and numerous smartphone related Web sites have expressed their outrage. And now, Brighthand has received confirmation from Microsoft stating that Windows Vista users will soon be able to enjoy this feature via an update to Windows Mobile Device Center. Personally, I am a bit annoyed that Microsoft didn't contact us with their official statement. :( <br /><br />The official Microsoft statement on the issue:<br /><i>"Currently, Windows Mobile 6 users can synchronize files between PCs and smartphones with Active Sync 4.5. Microsoft will update Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) on Windows Vista PCs to support file synchronization with Windows Mobile 6 by mid-June. We appreciate our customers continuing to use ActiveSync 4.5 for file synchronization until this update is available and are looking forward to offering the WMDC synchronize option very soon."</i>

onlydarksets
05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
The official Microsoft statement on the issue:
"Currently, Windows Mobile 6 users can synchronize files between PCs and smartphones with Active Sync 4.5. Microsoft will update Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) on Windows Vista PCs to support file synchronization with Windows Mobile 6 by mid-June. We appreciate our customers continuing to use ActiveSync 4.5 for file synchronization until this update is available and are looking forward to offering the WMDC synchronize option very soon."

Is that even an option? I thought Vista wouldn't run AS?

That being the case, are they now suggesting we go back to XP, just for AS 4.5? I realize that this is new functionality, and that I shouldn't miss what I never had, but it's a bit patronizing to those who bought a WM6 phone to present them with a non-solution.

Pete Paxton
05-21-2007, 07:13 PM
You know, you'd think when announcing and promoting a new OS you'd aim at making sure new hardware and software are compatible. You'd want people to want to upgrade. Oh well, when you can sell 40 million copies of Vista licenses in 100 days, I guess the "who cares" addtiude applies. :roll:

Sven Johannsen
05-21-2007, 09:46 PM
The official Microsoft statement on the issue:
"Currently, Windows Mobile 6 users can synchronize files between PCs and smartphones with Active Sync 4.5. Microsoft will update Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) on Windows Vista PCs to support file synchronization with Windows Mobile 6 by mid-June. We appreciate our customers continuing to use ActiveSync 4.5 for file synchronization until this update is available and are looking forward to offering the WMDC synchronize option very soon."

You are right. That option is only valid by reverting back to XP. I say reverting because the only ones affected by this egregious oversight are Vista users.

If it were me, I think I would have held off releasing the AS/XP version till the WMDC/Vista version was done. Then MS could have claimed continuing support for legacy systems, rather than penalizing and alienating Vista 'early adopters'.

Kris Kumar
05-22-2007, 01:01 PM

Yeah, it does sound like Microsoft is supporting Windows XP and asking folks to stick with XP. :-) Or it could be an ignorant remark made by the PR spokesperson or a high up manager. We don't know who issued that statement.

Anyway, it seems like Microsoft has become this huge corporation where the left doesn't know what right is doing. :(