View Full Version : Crosspost from PPCT: Dilemma

karinatwork
05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
So, if I was to switch from my Imate Jamin PocketPC phone to a, let's say HTC S710 Smartphone, what would I miss, what would I gain??

I have been with pocket pcs since the time of my Cassiopeia, but I have no experience with a smartphone without a touchscreen. The touchscreen of my pocket pc and the lack of the simple number buttons however have caused me some serious grief lately (plus the IMPOSSIBLE PROBLEMS with the simplest synching tasks (contacts, calendar))...

Anyway, insights about the Smartphone OS (in particular WM6) would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Sven Johannsen
05-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Don't expect an un-biased opinion over here...these guys are ate up by smartphone frenzy ;)

juni
05-03-2007, 07:42 AM
If all you need is a phone then smartphones are the way to go - excellent features for small devices. I strongly recommend getting one with a QWERTY thumb keyboard.

With the smartphone I

- talk on the phone ;)
- text/email
- do quick browsing (PIE is actually quite decent)
- read ebooks (with eReader)
- take quick notes (although you need a third-party software)
- look up directions (there are lots of map-apps)
- check the weather
- watch movies (came in handy when I was stuck at the airport in London for two hours - was entertained by two TNG episodes)
- listen to music

With my hx4700 I

- surf the web wirelessly from the sofa (using Opera)
- do quick touch-ups with Pocket Artist
- email
- read ebooks (with eReader and Microsoft Reader)
- check weather
- take notes
- watch movies

They overlap in function, but for decent web browsing I find that the VGA screen on the hx4700 is unbeatable. But on the other hand, the form factor of my smartphone is better - I always have it with me. Very useful if browsing for games at a store and I need to quickly see what the gamespot review on it is (has saved me money :) ).

I guess the hx4700 is more a stay-at-home device and the smartphone is a more mobile device.

If you are eyeing a QVGA pocket pc phone edition device then the formfactor aspect is different.

Mike Temporale
05-08-2007, 02:24 AM
Don't expect an un-biased opinion over here...these guys are ate up by smartphone frenzy ;)

Who us? :lol: ;)

Smartphones are thinner - on average. They also don't have a touch screen and thus no stylus. They're better at one-handed operation too.

Most major software companies have a Smartphone version of their application. Not all of the smaller free-ware's do. So it really depends on what you use on your PPC device now.

Oh, and they have also been know to assist in leaping tall buildings in a single bound. ;)

applejosh
05-11-2007, 03:30 AM
I am a recent recipient of a Motorola Q from work (new job). Previously, I lived off my X51v and had an XV6700 (PPC with phone) from my former job.

I have to say I am growing quite fond of the Smartphone. It does have limitations compared to the "real" Pocket PC devices, but it doesn't crash/lockup nearly as much as my XV6700 did, and I'm getting around most of the limitations (I have lived with a touchscreen for over 9 years) without much trouble at all. It's a pretty darn stable device (there are some apps I've found that don't quite agree with it, but for the very large most part, all is good). It's also lots easier to carry around than my Axim or XV6700.

I'm even thinking about picking up one for home/personal use later this year.

Mike Temporale
05-11-2007, 04:12 AM
Woo Hoo! That's what I like to hear. :mrgreen:

karinatwork
05-11-2007, 08:01 PM
So, now I'm sitting here with a Jamin PocketPC Phone in one hand, and a HTC S710 in the other.

The Jamin looks so huge suddenly, but after a day of playing around with the sweet little S710, I kinda miss the touch screen.

Then again, the speaker on the Smartphone is sooo much better; I missed so many calls in the car because I couldn't hear the Jamin's ringer (although I am using a real loud, obnoxious one, something "Old Phone" like).

I love the screen on the S710, I think it's QVGA, and the pixels are so small that it appears a lot sharper than on the Jamin (which was already a lot sharper than the h1910).

I wish I was able to tweak the smartphone just right so that I get all the info I need on the home screen, but it's not quite right yet. I installed Flexwallet, and Listpro, and Ereader, and I went browsing for software, but there isn't much out there.

In any case, I'm still not sure if I'm happy with it... any more reasons why I should stick with it and sell the Jamin?

Thanks a bunch!

Karin

applejosh
05-12-2007, 04:50 AM
Well, I don't know if I can offer any helpful advice, but it did take me a little while to warm up to the Smartphone philosophy (about a week or so). Installing Facade and Papyrus helped a bit. Plus once I got use to using the d-pad and such, I really started to appreciate the QWERTY keyboard (even if it is a tad on the small size). Plus saying the Q is a small device is kind of an understatement. I don't get the somewhat crass jokes asking me what's in my pocket any more. :roll:

If you can wait a week or so and give it a true shakedown, at least you can say you gave it a valiant try. I really like the Q now, even if I can't use Wisbar Advance 2, Pocket Informant, PocketBreeze, PhatPad (and that's a big one), etc. Plus all the "normal" PDA type devices I've used lately all develop some sort of digitizer drift where I have to calibrate a few times a week or (in the case of my Palm TX) buy special software to compensate. (Yes, I could keep sending them back for warranty, but really, that's a pain in the whatsit. I guess I'm getting to the point where I just want things to work. That getting older thing.)

karinatwork
05-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Thank you so much for your advice... yeah, the getting older thing is really getting to me. Mainly because I realize every day more that I don't have any more time to waste, I just need stuff to work. I grew quite fond of the speaker of this new smartphone, and that's already making it harder for me to want to let it go.

I'll take your advice and I'll keep it a bit longer.
:) We'll see what happens... At least I wont miss any phone calls anymore because of the crappy speaker! ;)

Mike Temporale
05-13-2007, 03:07 AM
The screen is QVGA and the images are much sharper - no question.

As for software, I haven't had much problems. There is loads of software, especially when you compare to a couple years ago. Phatpad does have a Smartphone version, at least I'm pretty sure.

If you have a S710, I would agree with Applejosh, if you can use it for a week or so and then make the call. You'll be surprised at how nice it is. :D

karinatwork
05-16-2007, 05:09 AM
Well, the week isn't over yet, but I think I am going to put the Jamin up for sale.

The S710 has already conquered me and I am thinking it will do a fine job of whatevery I throw at it. Will I ever get another pocket pc? Possibly, but only if I get one with a screen at least as nice as this one.

I'm glad I have some buttons on my phone now. Buttons. That's important, and that's why the iPhone is going to flop. :)

Guess I'm here to stay...

:D

Mike Temporale
05-16-2007, 01:28 PM
:beer: :drinking: Woo Hoo, Another convert!

Glad you like the device. The Vox is really grabbing some attention. It could be the next "big" Smartphone. I'm hard pressed to decide which of the dash/Q/Blackjack is the most successful of the last round.

applejosh
05-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated... :robot:

:)

Sven Johannsen
05-17-2007, 05:14 AM
Guess I'm here to stay...

:D

Well, if you must defect, at least move your avatar. ;)

Mike Temporale
05-17-2007, 01:41 PM

:lol: Look who's talkin' How long did it take you to post your avatar over here? ;)

karinatwork
05-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Not moving, just copying. :)

Jerry Raia
05-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the frenzy. :lol:

Sven Johannsen
05-18-2007, 06:28 AM

:lol: Look who's talkin' How long did it take you to post your avatar over here? ;)

I didn't defect, I'm still just a spy. :worried: