View Full Version : i600 and Blackjack: Is it possible to mod messaging button?

04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
I want the messaging button (the one on the lower right with envelope image) to launch an application I'll choose instead of the messaging app. I don't use messaging much, but I launch resco file manager many times a day. Is it possible?

chucky.egg
04-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Yep.

There's bound to be a registry setting for this, but I don't know what it is so a quick-and-dirty cheat would be:

Copy the "Messaging" link from the Start Menu to something else, perhaps "Email":
\Windows\Start Menu\Messaging.lnk -> \Windows\Start Menu\Email.lnk

Create a shortcut to your chosen app and overwrite the \Windows\Start Menu\Messaging.lnk with it (you'll probably need to have your phone unlocked for this - try the SDA Unlocker, quick and free)

Job done

If I get time/inspiration I might look for the registry setting...

04-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Very smart idea.... but it has one small problem. It doesn't work. :)

Start Menu/messaging.lnk is a ROM file and WM5 doesn't let me rename it. Before you ask, my phone is already unlocked.

I'll search the registry for a hack though....

Mike Temporale
04-27-2007, 01:34 AM
Why bother changing the messaging app? Why not just use the speed dial functions? You can assign any app to speed dial and it's just as quick to press and hold a key pad number as it is to press the messaging button. 8)

04-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Speed dial application launching doesn't work as it should. As soon as I press a number on the homescreen, phone application pops up and shows me people with names that match the key I press. Only if I keep the key pressed does the application I want launch. The phone application stays open in the background. I'm afraid I might call people by accident.

chucky.egg
04-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Sounds like your phone isn't fully unlocked (mine wasn't either)
If you use the tool I suggested it should work, just as it did for me.

Speed dials are supposed to work like that.
Long-press activates them, otherwise the phone wouldn't know whether you wanted a speed-dial or a digit in a phone number

chucky.egg
04-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Did have a quick look for the registry key, but didn't find it BTW

-=Chad=-
05-22-2007, 03:05 AM
Did you find any place in the registry to change the message button. I've been looking and haven't had any luck.

05-22-2007, 06:04 AM
No, I think the only way is to edit the messaging.lnk file in the start menu like chucky said.