View Full Version : Understanding ActiveSync or WMDC Partnerships

Jerry Raia
04-25-2007, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/partnerships.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/partnerships.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"With ActiveSync 3.x and 4.x and Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) you need to create a partnership between your Windows Mobile device and your PC in order to sync. The partnership contains the information about what information you are synchronizing between your device and your PC. This FAQ covers important information about these partnerships."</i><br /><br />Chris De Herrera has a little FAQ which points out some of the under workings of the two most troublesome applications ever conceived. I would have made the title "Understanding Why ActiveSync or WMDC Partnerships Hardly Ever Work". Seriously though, I have used the registry keys he sites to clean up a lot of partnership debris. It is worth a read.

sbono13
04-25-2007, 04:55 AM
Activesync works fine for me. I sync my outlook PIM data from one computer, my media with another computer, and use EAS for OTA syncing with my exchange server (email only). So that's 2 activesync partnerships and one EAS relationship. This is with a Motorola Q. I also connect to various computers without an activesync partnership to charge, gain access to my memory card, and sometimes, just to enable the internet passthrough.

I love activesync :).

subzerohf
04-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Me, too. I've never had any issue whatsoever with ActiveSync since the day I got my SMT5600 two years ago. My device has partnership with 2 of my pcs, and I never have any problem. Very occasionally I plug my device to some off-site pc just to charge. So I am fortunate to be able to say: I don't get it, what's the fuss about? :?

backpackerx
04-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I've definitely had my issues. I had no problems with early versions (3.5) but now with my Moto Q I cannot get one of my laptops to recognize it at all despite over 10 hours of trouble shooting. My other laptop took a while but now connects fine.

onlydarksets
04-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Lately, WMDC has been crashing fairly regularly. Nothing short of a reboot brings it back. I never had this problem with AS.

Foxbat121
04-27-2007, 01:49 AM
I've definitely had my issues. I had no problems with early versions (3.5) but now with my Moto Q I cannot get one of my laptops to recognize it at all despite over 10 hours of trouble shooting. My other laptop took a while but now connects fine.

ActiveSync 3.xx and pre-WM5 devices are less problematic because they don't use TCP/IP to communicate with host PC. I don't know why Microsoft decided to switch to TCP/IP communication in WM5 and ActiveSync 4.xx. Now every signle firewall software will get in the way of ActiveSync, sometimes, even Microsoft's own firewall. 99% of the ActiveSync problem are firewall related.