View Full Version : SKYPE on BJ or i600

acharmer
04-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Anyone have luck running Skype client on Samsung i600 / BJ successfully ?

I'm able to download the right version from Skype downloads & watch the install bar run all the way to finish on the device, but eventually I get the message that the installation is unsuccessful.

The program also does not appear on the start menu, confirming the unsuccessful install. :(

Welcome any suggestions.

Mike Temporale
04-25-2007, 01:56 AM
You might have to app unlock your device. Further to that, run the SDA Unlocker on it after it's unlocked. You'll have to google around for that app.

acharmer
04-26-2007, 01:23 AM
One question though - when I downloaded & installed google maps on the i600, it works flawlessly without any intervention.

Does something in Skype need the app unlock effort on the device ? I'm thinking if one app downloads & works, it should work for another.

Over2U

Mike Temporale
04-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Different programs require access to different things. Google Maps is a pretty basic app that just uses data. SKype on the other hand requires more from the phone.

acharmer
08-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Cracked it !

No major revolution though - turns out that the Skype Smartphone link on Skype's web site incorrectly points you to the Skype PocketPC cab file.

After much gruelling research, I located the correct link on the web & the Skype Smartphone Cab works flawlessly on the BJ & the i600 to install the app.

You can get it too @ http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload/Skype-Smartphone-Download-25377.html

+ves : Skype on Smartphone is ideally used on Wifi for full effect, but Skype Chat works fine on Edge networks.

++ves : I also tried it out on Singapore's 4G (or 3.5G) network last week (you get a 'W' symbol on all network signal bars on display, instead of the 'E' symbol on Edge networks) & all network based apps totally fly there. Singapore is WAAAAAAY ahead on rich functionality, high speed networks that are reasonably priced ( ideal for iPhone, right ?)

-ves : Skype voice (SkypeIn & SkypeOut) won't work or will freeze the BJ / i600 on Edge networks, so don't bother unless you want to research. It worked on the 4G ('W') networks, but voice synchronization failed after a couple of minutes into the call.

Cheers,