View Full Version : Possible fix for random Moto Q shutdowns

onlydarksets
04-23-2007, 06:42 AM
I haven't tried this yet, but I'm considering it. I've been hit about 3-4 times a week with this, and it's quite annoying.

Taken from here (http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=61772#61772).

1. You need a program that will allow you to get into the registry. There are several around, but I use Total Commander (download at http://www.ghisler.com/smartphone.htm). It's free and it works well.

2. Once you have that installed, start it.

3. When it opens, you'll see a list of folders. The one at the top will have two backslashes (\\) that is the root folder. Click on it.

4. You'll see two folders, ftp and registry. Click on registry

5. You'll see three folders, HKCR, HKCU, and HKLM. Open HKLM.

6. A long list of folders opens. Scroll down to drivers and open.

7. Ditto. Scroll down to builtin and open.

8. Ditto. Scroll down to ipm and open.

9. A long list of values ('keys') opens. Click on LowPowerMode.

10. I think the original value of this key (in box at top of value page) is 2. Change it to 0. Leave base as Decimal (though, since the value is 2 it won't matter: 2 dec = 2 hex.)

11. Click OK.

12. Back, back, back, etc., until you get to the root folder again.

13. Click right softkey (File menu), select MORE (all the way at bottom of list) then Exit (all the way at bottom of list).

14. Soft reset your Q (power down and restart). Like your PC, registry changes don't take effect until the OS reloads from bootup.

Mike Temporale
04-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Sounds interesting - I wonder why the problem isn't effecting everyone?

Oh, and Step #14 isn't actually a hard reset, it's a soft reset or reboot. If you actually hard reset at that point you would lose the change you just made. ;)

onlydarksets
04-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Good catch! I wouldn't have done a hard reset personally, but I'd hate to be responsible for someone else doing it!

scottb
04-24-2007, 03:25 AM
Luckily, I don't experience the random power-downs. What does that registry key do?

onlydarksets
04-24-2007, 03:39 AM
Apparently the lockup is related to the the "sleep" mode for some piece of hardware that refuses to "wake up" when the device is used again. The reg hack disables the sleep mode. I haven't done much research to figure out which component it is, though.

mhynek
07-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Have you noticed any change in battery life since the reg change?

onlydarksets
07-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I never did the reg change.

DaniT
01-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Has anyone actually tried this fix yet? I am having the problems with the reandom restarts, but I don't want to mess my phone up.

wiredheat
11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
My Q was freezing almost every single time it went to sleep.

The only way I was able to bypass this problem was to set the "Display Time Out" to never.

(Start, Settings, More, Power Management, Display Time Out, "Set to Never")

Of coarse, this will drain the battery since it would never turn off.

I just did the registry fix. So far, the phone is not bricked and it seems to have solved the problem. Unless I post otherwise, we will assume that the problem is over.

YAY!!!!!!!