View Full Version : Windows Mobile Team Explains Why They Removed Bluetooth Dial-up Networking

Kris Kumar
04-19-2007, 01:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2007/04/17/why-did-we-remove-bluetooth-dun.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2007/04/17/why-did-we-remove-bluetooth-dun.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I’m Greg Scott and I work as a developer on a team that provides core networking technologies on Windows Mobile. There has been some [negative] feedback from the community about Bluetooth dial-up networking (DUN) being removed in WM5 AKU3. I’ll do my best to explain that. ... In WM5 AKU3 we introduced a new application called “Internet Sharing”. The technology behind this is actually referred to as Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). But our usability folks decided to drop the word “Connection” since it didn’t fit nicely in the user interface."</i><br /><br />I am happy with the inclusion of Internet Connection Sharing; it definitely makes connecting my laptop to the data network a snap. I see a lot of users benefiting from the it-just-works approach of the ICS. But the Bluetooth Dial-up Networking profile is supported by more devices, especially the older ones, like my HP iPAQ 2210 Pocket PC 2003 which refuses to connect to the Internet using my T-Mobile Dash now. Windows Mobile Team is looking for our feedback, so if you have any suggestions then make yourselves heard by posting a comment in their Blog.

Mike Temporale
04-20-2007, 05:54 PM
:evil: ARGH - Another Microsoft "default" setting that causes more harm than good. When will they learn. They could have left both as standard and then it would be up to the ODM to pull whichever they don't want. Instead they pull it and leave it up to the ODM to include it if they think it's worth while. We all know the ODM doesn't know or care.

In case anyone has forgotten - IE Cache size and Caller ID template are just 2 prime examples of bad default settings by Microsoft. :roll:

Pete Teoh
04-22-2007, 03:00 PM
The worst part about this decision is the apparent lack of coodination and cross testing with the Vista team. The bluetooth stack in Vista will not detect my Blackjack as a PAN device so Internet Sharing can only be used via USB cable. This is hardly elegant in this day and age!

onlydarksets
04-23-2007, 06:26 AM
According to the comments, it appears they are planning on re-enabling DUN for those phones whose mobile operator didn't enable the option.

Mike Temporale
04-23-2007, 02:00 PM
According to the comments, it appears they are planning on re-enabling DUN for those phones whose mobile operator didn't enable the option.

Right, which just goes to prove that they didn't think things through the first time. :roll:

onlydarksets
04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Exactly - when you deprecate a function in a programming language or API, you don't yank it. You leave it there for a few iterations till everyone has a chance to migrate to the new function.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Microsoft is trying to p!ss people off?

Mike Temporale
04-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like Microsoft is trying to p!ss people off?

Based on the last 6-8 months... I would say they are, and they're doing a fine job of it too!