View Full Version : Wireless Devices Blur Work/Home Balance

Pete Paxton
04-06-2007, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070405/tc_nm/balance_dc_1' target='_blank'>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070405/tc_nm/balance_dc_1</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Staying in touch constantly by using laptops, BlackBerrys and other wireless devices has blurred the line between a person's professional and personal life, according to a new survey. While they were intended to provide convenience and flexibility for workers' lives, they have changed the physical parameters of the workplace and extended the work day. Professionals can work from anywhere and connect at any time."</i><br /><br />Yahoo News has an interesting article describing how wireless devices have extended our business day into our homes and other places including vacations. As a teacher, I don't often have the need to work from home using wireless devices but I have friends that do. They seem to take their devices everywhere including vacations. I take my Dash with me on vacation but it's just to keep in touch, not work. When I'm on vacation, or when I get home, my work stays at work. So how about you? Have you been extending your workday into your home and vacations because of the convenience of your wireless device? Is it a personal choice or do you feel obligated? Let us know.

laakness
04-06-2007, 08:57 PM
That is an interesting article.

My work pays for my monthly cell/data bill and I use Goodlink for email but I keep work at work as much as I can. I do admit I've been sitting on the couch on a Saturday or something and will glance at my email since it's on the home screen...but unless it's an emergency I do not reply.

It could also have to do with how your manager is. He approves my expenses for the data plan but does not expect me to be answering email on weekends because of it.

bobmay
04-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Because I support communications, and computer equipment with 24/7 expected uptime I have to be in touch constantly. Our monitoring systems SMS me with equipment failures. My workday is never just eight hours, or five days only.

chucky.egg
04-07-2007, 09:09 AM
I have a 'day job' and contracts and I choose to keep up with the latter while out of office (Even on holiday) because it's worth my while. The 'day job' is generaly forgotten the minute i leave the building.

I love having the choice, but it is a free choice for me. I know others who aren't as lucky.

Kris Kumar
04-07-2007, 02:46 PM
It is hard to think of work as a 9 to 5 chore. There is an overlap between home and work, and the overlap is both ways. The mobile gadget just enables me to achieve a nice balance and be more productive. The trick is not to overdo it.

SteveHoward999
04-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm a contractor. I do work for clients in America and Europe. My work day starts and ends when I choose ... could be 1pm 'till midnight or 9am 'till noon. Outside of the time I choose to work, I keep up with emails, normally answering straight away. Weekends and evenings I am less determined to give a fast reply, but I'd be lying if I said I refuse to!

I have a lifestyle different from many because I am a contractor. That is my choice. No doubt the line between work, home and liesure has been blurred by the work I do and the fact that I love my gadgets, but that is all my own choice. I don't have a boss telling me I must do this or that to be online 24/7.