View Full Version : microsoft office mobile

egg
04-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Forgive me, I'm new to these devices.
I'm spent most of the day trying to figure out whether a device like this would be useful, and if the software available would allow me to do what I want to do.
I was also told by Microsoft, that when I buy a device, I have to let the manufacturer know what I want on the device, because stuff can't be installed later. Is this true? Because I've read a lot of people's posts about installing 3rd party software (or is that just on non-windows mobile devices)?
So, I was wondering if anyone here could expand upon the program listing for Mobile Office, other than Word, Excel and PowerPoint? I want to be able to edit basic txt documents. Also, is Outlook (Express) included, or is that just replaced by an email management program in Windows Mobile?
Also, can I connect to an ftp site for my website, and upload txt files and pictures/videos that I have on a device? Is it possible?
Sorry to ask so many questions, but your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

egg
04-04-2007, 11:50 PM
My friend sent me the link, but I also found the pocketpc site that looks similar, that may be where I should have posted this.

If you can help though, thank you very much. I will repost on the pocketpc site as well.

Thanks again,

Dan

Mike Temporale
04-05-2007, 02:50 AM
Mobile Office is only available pre-loaded on the device. If you get a Windows Mobile 5 device then it has to be a POcket PC device or else it won't have Office Mobile. If you get a Windows Mobile 6 device, then any device - regardless if it's Smartphone or Pocket PC will have Office Mobile.

AdamaDBrown
04-05-2007, 06:44 AM
I was also told by Microsoft, that when I buy a device, I have to let the manufacturer know what I want on the device, because stuff can't be installed later. Is this true?

Absolutely not true. Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

bvprod
04-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Mobile Office is only available pre-loaded on the device. If you get a Windows Mobile 5 device then it has to be a POcket PC device or else it won't have Office Mobile. If you get a Windows Mobile 6 device, then any device - regardless if it's Smartphone or Pocket PC will have Office Mobile.

so if I wanted microsoft office on a moto Q there is no way to get it? is docs-to-go the only solution? is there anyway to update to window's mobile 6?

I just got this thing and the sprint guy said it had word... he just wanted me out the door... although i was in a rush also.

Sorry for the rapid-fire questions, any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Brett

Mike Temporale
04-19-2007, 02:07 AM
There's no way to update to WinMo6 unless Moto and Sprint decide to offer it. :(

Gavino1212
05-04-2007, 06:17 AM
I rather like docs to go, from what I hear, with Office Mobile on WM6, you can edit only but not creat. With Docs-To- Go, you can create new docs as well as edit existing ones.

Sven Johannsen
05-05-2007, 03:58 AM
I rather like docs to go, from what I hear, with Office Mobile on WM6, you can edit only but not creat.
Pretty easy workaround to that. copy a blank doc to the phone, call it Blank.doc or something. Open it, save as with a new name and edit away. The full technique has been detailed here before. Might even be able to set the doc as read only thereby forcing a new name.