View Full Version : How do you use the scroll feature in Contacts of WM5?

ajazi
03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I know this may sound stupid, but I can't figure it out.

In my old iPaq Pocket PC, if you were in Contacts and were scrolling through your list of contacts, after a couple seconds large images of letters in alpha order start scrolling in the middle of your screen. Whatever letter the screen was on when you lifted off the button at the bottom would land you at the start of that letter in the contacts list.

In my Cingular 2125, the same thing happens in Contacts.

But, when the letters pop up and I'm scrolling through them, when I let go of the joystick, it doesn't take me to that point in the list.

What gives?

I've tried pushing the joystick "in" to see if that does the trick but no good.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
George

Mike Temporale
03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
To be honest, I never scroll in my contacts. Have you used the SmartDial feature? It really helps you narrow down the list of contacts to a closer match.

If you haven't used SmartDial, there's really nothing to it. From the home screen or the Contacts app, just start to dial the first name, last name or phone number of your contact. So if you're looking for Mike, just press the buttons like you would if you are using T9 - once per key regardless of where the letter is on that key. Windows Mobile will start to narrow down your contacts to things that match what you've entered.

ajazi
03-26-2007, 06:40 PM
thanks Mike...

yes, actually i have used SmartDialer (i do all the time).

but i was specifically looking for a solution to this particular issue.

it just confuses me why it does not work.

or at least i don't know how to make it work correctly.

: (

scottb
03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
...after a couple seconds large images of letters in alpha order start scrolling in the middle of your screen. Whatever letter the screen was on when you lifted off the button at the bottom would land you at the start of that letter in the contacts list...
Whatever is going on must be specific to your device or your setup. On my Moto Q it works exactly as you described it should.

Mike Temporale
03-26-2007, 09:34 PM
thanks Mike...

yes, actually i have used SmartDialer (i do all the time).

Cool, just thought I would check. ;)

but i was specifically looking for a solution to this particular issue.

it just confuses me why it does not work.

or at least i don't know how to make it work correctly.

So I gave your method a go, and it works as I would expect it. When I find the letter I want, I push in on the joystick and it jumps to that letter. Are you running any applications that might override the action press on the joystick - like xbar?

ajazi
03-27-2007, 03:59 PM
i'm not running anything. never installed anything on the phone since getting it.

at least i know i'm not crazy (since it is working fine for you both).

thanks for checking it out for me.

-george