View Full Version : Number Portability Comes to Canada

Mike Temporale
03-22-2007, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/288418347860918.php' target='_blank'>http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/288418347860918.php</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Canadian cellphone users can now change their wireless services without losing their existing phone numbers, as wireless number portability comes into effect in metropolitan areas across the country. The Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association announced the introduction of the wireless number portability (WNP) program after an 18-month implementation process. The service allows Canadian customers to change wireless service providers within the same local calling area and keep their existing phone number. Customers can also transfer a phone number for a wireline phone to a wireless phone and vice versa."</i> <br /><br />Well, it's about time! So all you Canucks that have been hanging on to your overpriced or poor service carrier can now pack up and move to another overpriced and poor service carrier of your choice - without loosing your number. It's a step in the right direction. ;)

saru7755
03-22-2007, 12:28 AM
WoooHooooo

glaucobg
03-22-2007, 01:02 AM
When did this hapen to USA?

I'm from Brazil and we're hoping this will happen here on 2009!! Telecoms here are doing a great $job$ (for them, of course) delaying this.

Glauco.

Darius Wey
03-22-2007, 01:58 AM
When did this hapen to USA?

According to what I have read, 2003. I never actually realized there was such a disparity in number portability. We (Australia) gained access to the service in 2001. Singapore, 1997. 8O

Jason Dunn
03-22-2007, 04:00 AM
Gee whiz, now if there was more than one GSM carrier to chose from out here. :-(

saru7755
03-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Gee whiz, now if there was more than one GSM carrier to chose from out here. :-(

its kinda 2 u know :razzing:

saru7755
03-22-2007, 06:27 AM
after i read this post, i checked Rogers website if they have anything better to offer than what i have with Fido but it turned out NO, i still have the best Voice &amp; Data plan in Canada "to my knowledge"

Voice: Unlimited Canada $70
-Unlimited local calls in any city in Canada
-850 min Long distance min for North America

Data: Unlimited $50
-Unlimited GPRS, EDGE &amp; 3G (where available)

:twisted:

Mike Temporale
03-22-2007, 02:30 PM

Not really since Rogers owns Fido. ;)

Mike Temporale
03-22-2007, 02:32 PM

I'm on the same plan. Too bad they discontinued it. So nobody else can get it now. Data in Canada - for a new comer, is horrible.

Rocco Augusto
03-22-2007, 05:31 PM

I'm on the same plan. Too bad they discontinued it. So nobody else can get it now. Data in Canada - for a new comer, is horrible.

I have unlimited 3G data for the low low price of $19.99 a month ;)

saru7755
03-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Not really since Rogers owns Fido. Wink

Well they use the same towers so u get the same signal &amp; but different management, Plans, customers service &amp; so on. But to be honest with u since Rogers bought Fido all the good plans were canceled &amp; they raised the rest of the prices.

True, at some point people were selling those plans for over $500 until they canceled the Plan Transfer Option on the 17th of Jan'07 :evil:

I have unlimited 3G data for the low low price of $19.99 a month Wink'

:cry:

Jason Dunn
03-22-2007, 11:05 PM

Nope. Rogers bought Fido then discontinued their best rate plans, including unlimited GPRS data. So now ALL Canadians are in a painful spot without the ability to get unlimited data...it makes me so frustrated. :evil:

saru7755
03-23-2007, 12:17 AM

Nope. Rogers bought Fido then discontinued their best rate plans, including unlimited GPRS data. So now ALL Canadians are in a painful spot without the ability to get unlimited data...it makes me so frustrated. :evil:

ya, i know what u mean.. thats why i'm never giving up my old plans :wink:

ctmagnus
03-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Data in Canada - for a new comer, is horrible.

To be somewhat-kinda fair, their pricing is better than it was... I was on Rogers' 2MB/$12 plan for a good long time, then decided I wanted more data. So I went to the next higher rate, which I forget the cost of. But then I decided I wasn't using enough to justify the cost and it would actually be a better deal to use my old plan and pay overage. But, the buggers canceled that plan in the meantime! :o So I went with their 1.5MB/$15 plan with a 15% discount which had me paying roughly the same as before if I used less than 1.5MB of data in a month. But recently, I checked out data plans again, and Rogers brought in a 2MB for $5 plan. Everything else is still exorbitantly restrictive, though.