View Full Version : Cingular Unlocks Blackjack for Free

Rocco Augusto
03-21-2007, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://crunchgear.com/2007/03/15/cingular-unlocks-blackjack-for-free/' target='_blank'>http://crunchgear.com/2007/03/15/cingular-unlocks-blackjack-for-free/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I called Cingular’s International Care Center at (916) 843-4685 Tuesday morning and spoke with a customer service representative, who confirmed that I could unlock all my Cingular phones for international travel. To unlock my Blackjack, I read him my International Mobile Equipment Identity, or IMEI, number, which can be found on the product box or by entering the code *#06# on the Blackjack’s keypad. After I read him the IMEI, he processed it through the computer and gave me an unlock code specific to my phone. He then instructed me to power down my phone, take out the Subscriber Identification Module, or SIM, card and power it back up. Once the phone rebooted, I entered in the code ########## (blanked out since this code will only work for Wayne), which brought up the prompt: Enter Network Control Key. I put in my unlock code, and the phone returned the message: Successfully Disable Locking Status."</i><br /><br />I tried calling this number yesterday during my lunch break but I did not have the same luck. Unfortunately the customer service representative that took my call did not appear to have any idea of what she was doing. Needless to say, I'll try calling again later today. If any of our readers have managed to unlock their handsets using this method, let us know! :)

Mike Temporale
03-21-2007, 06:42 PM
That would be cool if it worked. I paid a small fee and had mine unlocked just after I got it. Free is nice, but a couple bucks for quick service isnt' too bad either. 8)

gib8080a
03-21-2007, 06:56 PM
I needed this last month...I had to use a crummy Nokia with a pre-paid SIM :D

Just called the number. The nice woman I spoke to said that they can do it "if you qualify". I asked her how one qualifies and she said you would if you've been a customer for at least 90 days, have international features and no late payments. I don't know what "international features" mean and I didn't ask since she said I qualified.

She had to fill out a form and said that the unlock code would be emailed to me in 5-7 days. Let's see...

LarryKeith
03-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I called on Monday and spoke with a male representative. I told him that I wanted to unlock my phone for international travel. He asked my number and phone model, then my IMEI number and email address. He also asked where I'd be traveling. He said that he would enter it into a request system, and I should get an email with the unlock code and instructions.

On Tuesday, I got the email from LBK Tech Escalations (from a Cingular email addy). It had generic instructions for unlocking my phone along with the unlock code.

From the articles I have read, Cingular should do this if you ask. It shouldn't matter if you travel international or not, at least that's my interpretation of the latest DMCA - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061124-8280.html

I could be wrong though, but now I have an unlocked phone.

Mark Larson
03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
From the articles I have read, Cingular should do this if you ask. It shouldn't matter if you travel international or not, at least that's my interpretation of the latest DMCA - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061124-8280.html

No, the DMCA just makes it legal to unlock phones yourself - it was illegal previously! 8O

Cingular is under no obligation to unlock your phone. Its because of T-Mobile's policy that they do it.

Smartphone Guy
03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
I called on Monday and spoke with a male representative. I told him that I wanted to unlock my phone for international travel. He asked my number and phone model, then my IMEI number and email address. He also asked where I'd be traveling. He said that he would enter it into a request system, and I should get an email with the unlock code and instructions.
I unlocked 3 BlackJack phones with this method including one that was bought without a contract. The one without the contract was the trickiest because I had to use a phone number from a phone that was under contract and they initially sent me the wrong code based on the wrong IMEI. One e-mail back to them with the correct IMEI and they sent me a new unlock code the same day. No charge on any of the unlocks.

thehelios
03-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Been looking at the site for over 2 months but only now registering. :D

Anyways, I told the male representative that I need the phone unlocked because I was planning on going overseas during the summer so I could use a pre-paid sim card over there. He asked me for my name, phone number, and last 4 digits of my SS. He then said he had to fill out some form and that I would be getting my unlock code via email in a couple days. Hopefully it works.

WyattEarp
03-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Glad to see Cingular is starting to make a change. I hope they keep it this way. All phones should be unlocked in my opinion as this is merely a waste of resources if it is going to be done anyway. Guess something is better than nothing.

ARW
03-22-2007, 02:37 AM
I went through the unlock process on my Blackjack and my phone appears to be unlocked, however, with the prepaid SIM in it I can't make calls (haven't tried receiving yet.)

edgar
03-22-2007, 03:00 AM
I did this in November, the day I bought it. (and reported that here Rocco :) )

I have successfully used Tmo in US and Amsterdam, Kyivstar and Life:) in Ukraine and I think it was Orange in Germany.
What I *WANT* to do is somehow get this workign with my HX4700 in BT modem mode

servoisgod
03-22-2007, 04:16 PM
I got mine unlocked.

Although I had to wait a day for an email that told me that it was turned down, the tech I was working with went ahead and got an override for me and unlocked it anyways. :)

Later,
Aaron

Rocco Augusto
03-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I did this in November, the day I bought it. (and reported that here Rocco :) )

I have successfully used Tmo in US and Amsterdam, Kyivstar and Life:) in Ukraine and I think it was Orange in Germany.
What I *WANT* to do is somehow get this workign with my HX4700 in BT modem mode

Cingular has always been decent at unlocking a phone if you travel outside of the US. The whole process took about a week to complete, but it was always available to the customer. Now you don't even have to travel outside of the US to get it unlocked, which is great for those users that just want the option of using their phone on a different carrier later :)

brianchris
03-23-2007, 01:47 AM
Is the unlock permanent, or good just until the next hard reset? (sorry for the dumb question).

Mike Temporale
03-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Is the unlock permanent, or good just until the next hard reset? (sorry for the dumb question).

It's not dumb at all. The unlock is permanent. Once a phone is SIM unlocked, it's SIM unlocked forever. Application lock, on the other hand is only until you hard reset.

brianchris
04-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks to this thread, I called and got unlock codes for BOTH my 8125 and my wife's 2125. BUT, at least in the case of my 8125, I don't know how to enter the unlock code :( The Cingular rep said I'll be promted for the unlock code when I first insert a different company's SIM card. The first post of this thread talked about removing the SIM then booting up, but that didn't work for the 8125.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Mike Temporale
04-11-2007, 03:40 AM
Find a friend that's on T-Mobile. Borrow their SIM and insert it in your phone, boot up and enter the unlock code. Then shut down and give them the SIM card back. 8)

weffner
05-20-2007, 02:38 PM
I have a question about unlocking my Blackjack. On my account in the Cingular website they list a PUK code is this the unlock code that I use? Do I need any other codes?