View Full Version : HTC "No Upgrades" Rumour Debunked

Jason Dunn
03-02-2007, 02:45 AM
I saw this over on <a href="http://www.pocketfactory.com/2007/02/19/htc-wont-offer-windows-mobile-6-upgrade-to-customers/">PocketFactory</a> and it made me raise an eyebrow:<i>"Bad news for current HTC users running hardware powered by Windows Mobile 5; you won’t be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6. According to a response from HTC to an inquiry from a P3600 user requesting information about a possible upgrade for his device, the company says they will not offer any upgrades to current users, but will produce WM6-powered devices this year. Translation: If you want Windows Mobile 6, buy our new products."</i>Zero upgrades? That seemed extreme, even for a company that doesn't always provide upgrades for all devices. I asked Jason Gordon, Senior Manager of Communications for HTC America, for an official response to this, and he sent me this:<i>"HTC and its carrier partners will have Windows Mobile 6 upgrades available for a variety of recently released devices. We will continue to work with these partners to provide additional upgrades based on market need."</i>No further details, but it seems obvious that HTC will have <i>some</i> upgrades to Windows Mobile 6 coming out. Good news for all of us!

Jerry Raia
03-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Yeah, good if the carriers go along. Not too likely I think.

Pete Paxton
03-02-2007, 03:44 AM
I sure hope the carriers go along. I'd sure have a lot more respect for them if they'd offer a rom. Maybe they could offer a rom for a small fee. Then they would make money on downloads and new and upcoming phones. If a phone is cool, people will buy it. I went from an SDA to a Dash and it has the same OS.

djdj
03-02-2007, 10:07 AM
We've already had confirmation from T-Mobile that they will be releasing a WM6 upgrade for the Dash, which is an HTC-made device, so I'm not sure how a rumor going around that no HTC device would get an upgrade could be believed.

Transfxb
03-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Poor me...
I have a plain HTC S620 device (not a T-mob dash...).
And my current carrier has never had s620 in his list.
So very unlikely to have an upgrade directly from HTC...
Or?

Mike Temporale
03-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Looks like my source was right again. :mrgreen: I just hope that other device manufacturers follow suit.

Foxbat121
03-02-2007, 04:41 PM
I read that post a few days ago and didn't take it seriously. It's like you write an email to Cingular support ask for upgrade. If you're lucky, you get a response stating that Cingular is evaluating the upgrades. Most of the time, you probably get a CSR that has no idea what you're talking about. You can't judge a company's position based on an email response from support CSR. But I do think HTC shoud fire whoever responded that email. It just doesn't look good on HTC, official or not.

Tim Williamson
03-02-2007, 05:25 PM
There is a Beta upgrade available now for the Dash (if you look in the right places). :worried:

Transfxb
03-04-2007, 11:34 PM
During 3GSM World in Barcelona, HTC France CEO Frederic Tassy said WM6 for S620 (including HTC X7500 Advantage, HTC P4350 but not P3300) will be available by June 07...

http://www.mobinaute.com/69989-htc-wm6-s620-p3300-x7500-strategie-2007.html

Sorry, this is in French. But on line translators are your fiends