View Full Version : BlackBerry Connect to be Offered on Five New HTC Windows Mobile-based Devices

Kris Kumar
02-15-2007, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.rim.com/news/press/2007/pr-13_02_2007-01.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.rim.com/news/press/2007/pr-13_02_2007-01.shtml</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Research In Motion (RIM) today announced plans to offer BlackBerry® Connect™ software on five new Microsoft® Windows Mobile®-based devices from HTC to carriers around the world, including the HTC S710 launched today at 3GSM World Congress 2007. BlackBerry Connect on HTC handsets supports push-based wireless email access, wireless email reconciliation and attachment viewing in conjunction with both BlackBerry® Enterprise Server and BlackBerry® Internet Service."</i><br /><br />Wish this announcement had come sooner, but as they say better late then never. :) Finally Windows Mobile will be able to make its way into the companies that are in the BlackBerry camp and the enterprise customers will have more options. Let's hope that HTC and RIM will announce BlackBerry Connect update for the existing HTC devices. ;-)

damonb10
02-15-2007, 07:16 PM
In a word, "HUGE". This will be huge in expanding the market for HTC Windows Mobile Phones. I know it will allow me to utilize the Blackberry server the company I work for already has running. They will not host a Microsoft exchange server :(

I'm hoping for an update to older devices as well, but would be interested in any new device that comes with this!

Kris Kumar
02-16-2007, 02:03 AM
You are absolutely right, this is huge for HTC and huge for Windows Mobile provided the carrier branded HTC devices also pick up the software.

My guess is that HTC will be offering this as part of their direct retail devices and when the same Vox comes on TMobile/Cingular's network then it will not have this BB Connect software. Just my guess. I get the feeling that carriers are not interested in this software. Not sure why.

aristoBrat
02-20-2007, 10:43 PM
My guess is that HTC will be offering this as part of their direct retail devices and when the same Vox comes on TMobile/Cingular's network then it will not have this BB Connect software. Just my guess. I get the feeling that carriers are not interested in this software. Not sure why.
That's my guess too.

BlackBerry Connect has been on non-US devices for awhile now.

Seeing comments from "Vice President HTC Europe" doesn't give me any warmer of a feeling that we'll see it in the US anytime soon. :(

Until then, I'm stuck in BlackBerry-land.

damonb10
02-21-2007, 10:28 PM
You are absolutely right, this is huge for HTC and huge for Windows Mobile provided the carrier branded HTC devices also pick up the software.

If this is the case, then I will be buying my Vox direct. The company I work for has no interest in running an exchange server :(

Kris Kumar
02-22-2007, 04:06 AM
I guess for now it is wait and watch. HTC hasn't announced any US launch partners, the Vox would most likely will be launched by T-Mobile (lack of 3G and inclusion of Wi-Fi are the reasons why I am guessing T-Mobile). But until the product is announced over here we won't know.

I hate waiting on the edge.