View Full Version : Device Overwrites Outlook

lynch
02-10-2007, 08:43 PM
I've searched high and low but have not found a solution to this. Is there anything I can do to get my Dash to overwrite Outlook?

I have had a horrible experience with Activesync (even the latest 4.5 beta). It never deletes individual occurances that repeat and now even my tasks are not syncing up properly.

Thanks for any help.

Kris Kumar
02-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Not sure if I understood the problem correctly. :? Do you want the calendar on your device to overwrite the ones in Outlook?

I know that you can set it up so that the ones on the device get added to the Outlook and in case it is the same appointment, the device will overwrite the Outlook item. But I don't think I know a way to clean out Outlook entirely.

This is what I do, when I want the device items to be moved into Outlook. I delete the current partnership in ActiveSync. Then re-sync and establish new partnership. You will get prompted for items to sync and also direction, select device to Outlook.

IMPORTANT: Backup the device and backup you Outlook data.

Sven Johannsen
02-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Not an option and never has been. You can at initial partnering choose to have Outlook overwrite the device, or combine. There have been times that I swear it doesn't even give you the option, it just combines.

There is a setting that lets you choose which device wins if there is a conflict. That means the item was changed on both the PPC and the PC between syncs. For example, you changed Bob's cell # on the PPC and his birtday on the PC. Bob's record has a conflict. You can set which one wins, but only which one wins. AS3.8 gave you the option to ask each time, but AS4 doesn't even give you that option anymore.

You should be able to delete the partnership, move all of your PC side stuff into a sub folder or PST for safe keeping (and then delete everything in the root folders), and then partner again. It should offer to combine, and essentially repopulate Outlook.

anonymous99
02-13-2007, 04:46 AM
Use latest Active Sync 4.1 or 4.5 beta, setup a partnership and stop the synchronizing, go to 'tools'-'options'-'settings', then change it to combine the items on your device with items from PC. Then done 8)

Another good way to avoid device or ActiveSync doing something freaky, Try use some backup solutions. I have Sprite Software, and it saved me lots of times. :twisted:

lynch
02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks everybody.

Man, I thought my syncing process would be much smoother w/ a Microsoft product, but my Palm experience was much more reliable and flexible. Oh well, that's my only complaint.

Now if only Iambic would hurry up and port Agendus over already! Not having roll-over tasks is killing me!

anonymous99
02-19-2007, 03:46 AM
Sure Microsoft did not leave much option on the Synchronize, as well as complicated functionalities on the ActiveSync. That is why I suggest you better have backup softwares running to protect your device from any data loss. :P