View Full Version : Application to change profile according to time of day

Crotia
01-09-2007, 01:31 AM
Hi, I was wondering if there was a program that could change the profile of my Motorola MPX220 (WM 2003) automatically, according to time of day.

I.E. I would like it to change to "Meeting" when I am in school and be "Normal " every other time, unless I manually change it.

Thanks

onlydarksets
01-09-2007, 01:45 AM
There are a few options. Start reading here:
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=83062#83062

Crotia
01-09-2007, 01:58 AM
AutoFlight works great :) thanks

onlydarksets
01-09-2007, 02:07 AM
It's definitely overkill if all you need to do is switch the profiles. Profile Switcher is the best (and cheapest) for that. I got sucked in by phoneAlarm, though - it's a very slick program.

Mike Temporale
01-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Alerts! will do that plus more - like alarm, bluetooth, and sms.

FirstCavWife
04-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, why don't you just use the Automatic Profile that comes with the phone.....I use it all the time....I love it!

Mike Temporale
04-24-2007, 12:35 PM
The automatic profile only works based on your calendar. I want the phone to go into silent every night when I'm going to bed (or the kids are). I don't want to put an appointment in my calendar just for that. I also like my phone to switch to Outdoor when I leave the house in the morning. 8)

FirstCavWife
04-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Mike,
Have you checked out this app? I've never used it, but it looks like it will do what you are wanting.
SwitchProfiles http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/2007/03/10/switchprofile-change-profiles-on-your-smartphone-automatically.aspx

Mike Temporale
04-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Which app? I've used all the apps mentioned in this thread. I use Alerts! because I like the interface, I find it easy to use, and it just plain works.

My post above was just explaining why the Automatic profile doesn't work for some. It sounds like it works for you - and that's great. But there aren't many that find it valuable. :)

FirstCavWife
04-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Sorry about not putting the url in there. I hit POST and then remembered that AGAIN I forgot to include the link. DUH! Then I just spent the last ten minutes arguing with the html code for urls.
Guess who won!!! LOL
-Dawn

Dawn 0, HTML 1

onlydarksets
04-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I use the Automatic profile, but, like Mike said, I don't want to create a repeating appointment every night (it clutters up Facade).

I went with Don't Forget (since it's free) until the next rev of phoneAlarm gets released (it has a couple of features I want).

scottb
04-24-2007, 09:05 PM
I use the Automatic profile, but, like Mike said, I don't want to create a repeating appointment every night (it clutters up Facade)...
Just FYI, there is a setting in Facade to hide the display of private items. If you turn on that setting, then mark your appointment or task private, it will not display on the home screen.

onlydarksets
04-24-2007, 09:10 PM
I use the Automatic profile, but, like Mike said, I don't want to create a repeating appointment every night (it clutters up Facade)...
Just FYI, there is a setting in Facade to hide the display of private items. If you turn on that setting, then mark your appointment or task private, it will not display on the home screen.

Thanks, but unfortunately many of my appointments are private since I use my work Exchange server to manage my calendar. That would wipe out about half of the information that I want to see. :(

Mike Temporale
04-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Sorry about not putting the url in there. I hit POST and then remembered that AGAIN I forgot to include the link. DUH! Then I just spent the last ten minutes arguing with the html code for urls.
Guess who won!!! LOL
-Dawn

Dawn 0, HTML 1

:lol: Ah, I see. Sorry you're having some problems with the forum software.

In regards to SwitchProfile, I did try it out but I didn't really like it. It's good enough if all you want to do is switch your profile. I have also set Alerts to toggle my Bluetooth so it's on when I get in the car in the morning and on the drive home at night and off the rest of the time. I also use Alerts for my morning alarm clock. It just does so much. :D

onlydarksets
04-25-2007, 01:59 AM
One thing I don't understand about Profiles is why the settings for email notifications aren't controlled by the Profiles. Am I missing something? I don't want any email notifications at night, but I can't find a way to do that.

Mike Temporale
04-25-2007, 02:05 AM
Sure it is - Notification Type, and Notification Volume. I have mine set to Vibrate and Off for Silent (which is my night time profile).

onlydarksets
04-25-2007, 02:47 AM
Sure it is - Notification Type, and Notification Volume. I have mine set to Vibrate and Off for Silent (which is my night time profile).

That's how mine is set, but it vibrates when an email comes in.

Mike Temporale
04-25-2007, 03:13 AM
OK, so change Notification Type to Play Sound and leave Notification Volume set to Off. That should do it. 8)

onlydarksets
04-25-2007, 03:17 AM
OK, so change Notification Type to Play Sound and leave Notification Volume set to Off. That should do it. 8)

Tried that too, and it didn't work.

onlydarksets
04-25-2007, 03:21 AM
OK - I figured it out. Under Settings | Sounds, I had the "New e-mail" set to Vibrate. This apparently overrides the Profile settings. By setting it to any sound, the Profiles work as expected.

Mike Temporale
04-25-2007, 03:38 AM
Ah, good to know. Glad it's working now. :)

onlydarksets
04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Yes, thanks for the sounding board!